Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Domes Noruz Chania, Autograph Collection - Chania, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/herdo-domes-noruz-chania-autograph-collection/

Adult only property: guests must be 16 years of age or older. While property is adults only, the public beaches aren't so you might see some kids at the beach.

Property charges 1-night deposit at booking. Has a 2-week cancel policy.
Print Wikipost

Domes Noruz Chania, Autograph Collection - Chania, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
The hotel is wedged, but, your still secluded (sans the beach).

The pools are not out of view, however, you can lower the shades in front of your pool to be private.

the second floor pools have curtains as well.

The restauraunt is just “meh”, but again. Take a <5 minute walk and you’ll save a LOT of money and have excellent cretian cuisine!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Mrs CALMSP and I enjoyed Elounda. Here is a quick shot of our room looking out towards the water. (will hope to have my report in the next 2 days or so on the Elounda thread)

Old May 29, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Had a stay a few weeks back so thought I should update with my experiences given the limited info in this thread.

I'll start with gold recognition. I'm going to call it great, even though I didn't get upgraded at all. I stayed on points (4 nights with 5th free) and paid the extra points for a guaranteed upgraded room (the upbeat retreat - which had a heated plunge pool). Breakfast in the restaurant was included (buffet, but you can order omelettes from the servers, and there's somebody doing made-to-order fried eggs. Not the most amazing free hotel breakfast I've had, but it was definitely good and the items changed slightly from day to day. Sparking wine was also included - so that helps. Also saw it's only a EUR 5 charge to have breakfast delivered to your room - wow. As a gold member, I also received a voucher for free dinner at the hotel restaurant (Zeen). I've been burned by these before, so we hesitantly went expecting it would be very minimal (plain pasta) and an up charge for anything else. It turned out to be an amazing deal (~EUR 80 worth of for us). You get to choose any 2 appetizers/salads, 2 mains (up-charge only for the rib-eye steak and something else expensive, I forget) - other choices were included, and 2 deserts. Only had to pay for wine / drinks. They couldn't guarantee a late check out (quoted the resort 'loophole') but told us we'd get 'priority' given our status. Night before we were to check out we were told we could have the room until 3pm - perfect.

Pools were great. We mainly stayed at the non-quiet one as our room was right there. Music occasionally was a bit too loud, otherwise fine. Great not having kids at the resort as pool was very nice to enjoy. They kept it at a perfect temperature so we didn't freeze getting in (as I'm used to in many European hotel pools). Beach was also nice with the permanent umbrellas that have a call button if you need service. Food/drinks by the pool were all very reasonable (club sandwich was 8 EUR, tall beer was 5 EUR; mixed drinks got a bit more pricey).

As others have mentioned, there isn't much to walk to in the area. But old town Chania is only a 7-10 EUR taxi each way (we rented a car, but didn't want to deal with parking in old town). Really quaint little town with lots of good restaurants around the water (and reasonably priced). Followed the concierge's suggestions each night, and they were all great (lots of tourist traps also, so make sure to get a recommendation).

I'd say this was a great deal for the points required
Old May 29, 2018, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I just completed a stay at Domes Noruz, really enjoyed it - more so than my last stay in Crete where I was at the Blue Place on the other-side of the island particularly because it was so much smaller and peaceful. I had booked an award stay for an Upbeat Retreat Pool View (lowest category room), I arranged a transfer from the airpot (45EUR) and there was a driver waiting in arrivals. The checkin process was done seated in the lobby area by the bar (that while its clearly a bar with bottles and a menu seems to not function as an actual bar) and was very thorough, I was upgraded to a Wellness Loft overlooking the main pool with a sea view and they then walked me through the property and room describing everything, offered recommendations for dinner and activities. I thought the elite recognition was excellent (I am Platinum via SPG) and they offered free breakfast even though as a resort I guess they aren't required to do so and they also had no problem granting my 4PM late checkout request in addition every member of the staff I interacted with was super nice and helpful. Breakfast was pretty good, they had much the same base ingredients each day but would mix things up in how they were prepared, they had fresh OJ and cappuccinos as well. The bar staff was excellent, I really appreciated how much smaller this resort was than the Blue Palace and the lack of kids was also nice. The beach area had dedicated lounge chairs for guests, as others pointed out there are other resorts there and kids are around but I seldom noticed them, drink service to the beach was done with a button on the umbrella which called a server to come get your order (I made great use of that button!). I only ate at their restaurant for breakfast so cannot comment lunch/dinner, getting to the old town for food was a quick 10-11EUR taxi ride and there are many good options. My only gripe was with some of the guests who would "claim" lounge chairs by the pool with a book/bag early in the day only to return hours later to use them, even though it was clearly in the rules not to do plus common sense (which is a misnomer as its rather uncommon) should tell one this is poor behavior even without an actual rule.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:49 pm

I am a platinum member and was just offered to pay 50 euros per night to upgrade to the wellness loft - do you think its worth it? Will I just get an upgrade anyway if I don't pay?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by conner11
I am a platinum member and was just offered to pay 50 euros per night to upgrade to the wellness loft - do you think its worth it? Will I just get an upgrade anyway if I don't pay?
Hard to say, they did seem happy to upgrade if there was availability but on the other hand the hotel isn't that large and depending up when you're going could be full. 50EUR if on a 2-3 night trip isn't bad, though if on a longer trip that could add up,the loft was nice in that you were a level above the ground and had more privacy on the balcony vs the ground floor rooms but they are not hugely different/better than the standard room
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Any other thoughts on the Chania Noruz vs Elounda? No kids but other than that issue, I'm having a hard time sorting out which one people like better for August.

Sounds like there are some walking options from Noruz. Elounda is way more convenient to the ferry (not sure how to get to Noruz from the Ferry). Not sure which has the better pool and rooms.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Any other thoughts on the Chania Noruz vs Elounda? No kids but other than that issue, I'm having a hard time sorting out which one people like better for August.

Sounds like there are some walking options from Noruz. Elounda is way more convenient to the ferry (not sure how to get to Noruz from the Ferry). Not sure which has the better pool and rooms.
Haven't stayed at both, so this isn't a comparison per se. But here's what swayed me to Noruz.

-Flat resort with beach immediately available (we came from Santorini so wanted easy access to a sandy beach).
-Newer resort
-No kids
-More to do in the surrounding area (again, because we came from Santorini and were basically parked at a pool there for a few days).

The Elounda resort looks lovely, but we were very happy with the Noruz. We ended up renting a car from the port and driving. 2 hours but very easy (get your 'international drivers license' - not needed to rent but they said potential EUR 1,000 fine if a police officer wants to pull you over). If you rent from Avis/Budget, the stand is right in front of the port (just make sure you're one of the first few off the boat, otherwise you'll be waiting) and then returned it to the HER airport. If you don't want to drive, believe it was EUR150-EUR 170 each way for a transfer (taxi?).

We only walked around the surrounding area a tiny bit. Otherwise we took a cab into the old town (EUR 7-10 each way) each night and had dinner and drinks, then came back. Some great meals and all very reasonable (especially when considering they were on the water). See my post a few above this for more information on our stay and feel free to reach out with any specific questions.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Haven't stayed at both, so this isn't a comparison per se. But here's what swayed me to Noruz.
Thanks. That's very helpful.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

I stayed at both and preferred Chania vs Elounda. The rooms are more modern and upscale at Chania unless you stay at the residences in Elounda. The regular rooms at Elounda are nice but a bit dated especially the bathroom and there’s no privacy in the garden view rooms. Chania is a more interesting and vibrant city then Elounda with greater variety of places to dine at. Chania is actually located next to a beach and Elounda has a smaller private man-made beach. Both have two pools which are equally nice - Chania a quiet pool and one with music that looks out onto the beach and Elounda a adult pool and a family pool which I avoided because it was filled with kids running aroundl athough it looked nice. Elounda is split into two sides so you’ll need to walk up and down a hill or take a cart to get to each side so it’s a much larger and spread our resort versus Chania which has a smaller boutique hotel vibe. Chania is located in a city surrounded by other hotels and you can walk to restaurants and Elounda is more secluded although you could walk 15-20 minutes to Plaka but along the road. Elounda has more beautiful immediate surroundings with clearer blue water and a view of Spinalonga. Chania is an adult resort so had a more night life feel and they had a dj and free champagne for guests one night when we were there. Elounda is a very family friendly resort and there will be kids at breakfast, at the pool, at the beach, and if you’re unlucky right next to your room so you can hear the kids running around. Elounda has a nice tennis court if you play. Everything in Crete is spread out so you have to drive an hour or more to get to places so it just depends on what sights you want to see. There are more sights to see on the west side near Chania that interested me although the hotel was so relaxing we decided to just stay at the hotel a lot more than we usually do.
C17PSGR and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
@AICML...thanks for the comparison of the Domes Chania and Elounda properties! We just stayed at the Elounda property (and have also stayed at the Blue Palace) and enjoyed it very much. Getting an upgrade to the Residences probably helped! With the Elounda property going up so much for award redemptions, we are likely to try the Domes Chania for our next visit. NO kids is a definite plus for us!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone have any experience of using Suite Night Awards with this property?

I cannot apply them to a reservation for next month - there seems to be plenty of availability across room levels - but unclear if this is a property that opts out of taking them. Marriott customer service could not give a clear answer, and I have emailed the property but no reply yet.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Any Domes Noruz stays during COVID? We're thinking of going in August.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
Any Domes Noruz stays during COVID? We're thinking of going in August.
I will answer my own question as we decided to go and had an excellent stay. Staff are simply top notch - remembering your preferences, proactively doing things to make your stay better, just doing all they can do to run a top resort. Topes is expensive - we ended up with a half board package that made it very easy to have breakfast and dinner. Both are excellent at the restaurant - you need to make reservations to ensure the restaurant does not get overcrowded. At breakfast, it is a buffet with masks and gloves provided. Selections vary each day, with an omelette station always available.

The two pools are fantastic - one is the "quiet zone" pool, not that the other one was much louder (there is likely normally music there, that has been banned currently due to lockdown regulations in Crete).

Beach is great - fantastic service there as well. You do get a good deal of people walking right in front of you, as the beach is just not that wide.

Overall, a fantastic experience and one I would do again in a heartbeat.

Edited to add a photo - view from the room, over the main pool, down to the beach.

renila and dgreen12 like this.

Last edited by dcmike; Aug 16, 2021 at 10:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.