Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong [Master Thread]

The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Old Jul 15, 16, 5:45 pm
  #16  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,469
Ironing the underoos with starch would be worse, no?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 15, 16, 6:12 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,184
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Ironing the underoos with starch would be worse, no?
Don't give then any ideas.
hiima is offline  
Old Jul 15, 16, 10:40 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27
Pretty sure it's a no on the upgrades, but the location of the Ritz in HK is less than ideal (especially for a first time visitor).

Most of the main touristy stuff is on Nathan road (for Kowloon side), which is a good central location to travel from for almost any destination in HK. No Marriott around there though, Sheraton and HI have great locations.

The JW is a bit better of a location, just about as good as Nathan Rd for accessibility. If looking for Marriott in HK, that's the one I would go with. Metro is right there, Admiralty station which is on both the red and blue lines (the two main lines). Being on the island is nice too, I find I end up there on most nights anyway.
NotYouTu is offline  
Old Jul 15, 16, 11:24 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,184
Originally Posted by NotYouTu View Post
Pretty sure it's a no on the upgrades, but the location of the Ritz in HK is less than ideal (especially for a first time visitor).

Most of the main touristy stuff is on Nathan road (for Kowloon side), which is a good central location to travel from for almost any destination in HK. No Marriott around there though, Sheraton and HI have great locations.

The JW is a bit better of a location, just about as good as Nathan Rd for accessibility. If looking for Marriott in HK, that's the one I would go with. Metro is right there, Admiralty station which is on both the red and blue lines (the two main lines). Being on the island is nice too, I find I end up there on most nights anyway.
The JW is literally connected to admiralty station and is part Pacific place mall
hiima is offline  
Old Jul 16, 16, 4:41 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,103
The JW is really great for Elites and has one of the best lounges out there. But it is generally full of American Elites and I would say it is not particularly romantic, although the views are pretty good.

I find the JW to be conveniently located as pointed out. If you want a romantic weekend and plan to spend most of your time in the hotel - then stay at the RC, if you want to tour as well, then stay at the JW.
cova is offline  
Old Jul 16, 16, 6:33 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hands of Fate
Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Posts: 4,827
Originally Posted by cova View Post
The JW is really great for Elites and has one of the best lounges out there. But it is generally full of American Elites and I would say it is not particularly romantic, although the views are pretty good.
I'd say that the Ren, while slightly less convenient and with a slightly less fantastic lounge, has better views than the JW.
bennos is offline  
Old Jul 17, 16, 9:59 am
  #22  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: EZE
Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by cova View Post
The JW is really great for Elites and has one of the best lounges out there. But it is generally full of American Elites and I would say it is not particularly romantic, although the views are pretty good.

I find the JW to be conveniently located as pointed out. If you want a romantic weekend and plan to spend most of your time in the hotel - then stay at the RC, if you want to tour as well, then stay at the JW.
Yeah sounds like from a convenience standpoint the JW would be the better option. We won't spend much time in the hotel except for sleeping. And to me not worth just getting the Ritz CC just to get a club upgrade when I already have it as a plat. at Marriott. The fact that the train is right there has sold me. Thanks all for yor opinions.
Brandinho1 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 16, 10:01 am
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: EZE
Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by bennos View Post
I'd say that the Ren, while slightly less convenient and with a slightly less fantastic lounge, has better views than the JW.
I actually stayed at the Ren. last year for business and it looked like a ton of building going on that might have made that view possibly not as good.
Brandinho1 is offline  
Old Dec 25, 16, 7:47 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Posts: 1,581
If the forecast is for overcast skies the entire time of my trip, will it effectively cancel out the views. Should I switch to a hotel in TST?
dparkinson is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:23 am
  #25  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,519
Booked a Deluxe Victoria Harbour view room on an FHR rate as a Plat. At check-in the extremely not friendly nor gracious agent told me the only available upgrade was to a Grand Seaview room . . . I asked about Grand Victoria Harbour and he said "I checked, there are none available." So I took the Deluxe room and upgraded to Club access for $1500 HKD per night. Got to the room - it didn't really have a Victoria Harbour view and it smelled like cigarette smoke. Straight to the Club to request a better room. Where the Assistant Manager magically found me a Grand Victoria Harbour room. Now if only the fog would lift

Received a written apology and bottle of wine for my check-in experience.
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:27 am
  #26  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,262
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Booked a Deluxe Victoria Harbour view room on an FHR rate as a Plat. At check-in the extremely not friendly nor gracious agent told me the only available upgrade was to a Grand Seaview room . . . I asked about Grand Victoria Harbour and he said "I checked, there are none available." So I took the Deluxe room and upgraded to Club access for $1500 HKD per night. Got to the room - it didn't really have a Victoria Harbour view and it smelled like cigarette smoke. Straight to the Club to request a better room. Where the Assistant Manager magically found me a Grand Victoria Harbour room. Now if only the fog would lift

Received a written apology and bottle of wine for my check-in experience.
Wow. How could they just leave a room smelling like cigarette smoke open like that? I think they should have found you Grand Victoria Harbour suite instead!
Aventine is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:37 am
  #27  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,519
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Wow. How could they just leave a room smelling like cigarette smoke open like that? I think they should have found you Grand Victoria Harbour suite instead!
Either housekeeping doesn't report it, or they just assume guests won't complain (as most won't).

The suite is still for sale. That would have been quality service recovery. But I'm fine with the Grand room . . . it's a major upgrade over the regular Deluxe room, which is really a bit disappointing.
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 3:49 am
  #28  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,262
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Either housekeeping doesn't report it, or they just assume guests won't complain (as most won't).

The suite is still for sale. That would have been quality service recovery. But I'm fine with the Grand room . . . it's a major upgrade over the regular Deluxe room, which is really a bit disappointing.
Probably both. Laziness on both parts. How's the club tonight?
Aventine is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 5:48 am
  #29  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,519
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
How's the club tonight?
Like Rome being sacked by the barbarians.

It got better after 7 when they kicked the kids out. Pretty out of control before that.
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 7:05 am
  #30  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,262
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Like Rome being sacked by the barbarians.

It got better after 7 when they kicked the kids out. Pretty out of control before that.
I'm guessing everyone and their Mom has Club access .
Aventine is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: