Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Four Points Havana, Cuba [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

It's not cheap, but you can now book the Four Points by Sheraton Havana, Cuba.

Four Points Havana
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:27 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Definitely bookable but not worth the US$245 per night when I am there in two weeks time. The Hotel Nacional de Cuba is around the same price to stay in an iconic hotel.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Enjoy the trip Alan.One possible benefit would be that during the day there will be a lot less tour groups going through.Bedlam when our group went through the Nacional last year.Bars and restaurants taken over.
But the Nacional certainly has the position.
Also note the 4 points rates are all prepaid and non refundable.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by drron
Enjoy the trip Alan.One possible benefit would be that during the day there will be a lot less tour groups going through.Bedlam when our group went through the Nacional last year.Bars and restaurants taken over.
But the Nacional certainly has the position.
Also note the 4 points rates are all prepaid and non refundable.
Thanks, it would be quite chaotic with activity when groups go through but end of the day - the gardens and views over the Maleccon are worth it. That said, we stayed there a few years back and weren't impressed with the rooms. There are good options in town like the Parque Central, but we will be in an apartment this time round. 3 bedrooms, high floor, water views for 100CUC per night Well hope you're well drron.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:42 am

20,000 starpoints for a four points? Have they gone mad?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:30 am

I was there recently to use their wifi (lol). The location isn't the best - too far away from Vedado and central Havana - but it's quiet and relatively safe. I would never want to live in a SPG property in Cuba though; local casas are 10x better.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:33 pm

A quick hotel tour only!

**Sorry about the photos sizes!**

I visited the Four Points by Sheraton Havana a few days ago which happened purely by chance as I generally have no need to be in that part of Havana. It is an upscale area where many of the foreign consulates are at. My friends needed to go to the Air France Office to change some flights and by chance the Four Points was across the road so I decided to run across and have a quick look - whilst they did their business - and I take some candid photos!

Definitely an opulent hotel in its heyday but now just a Four Points by Sheraton but more importantly the first American hotel chain to do business in Cuba in close to 60 years - that's something I guess.

It takes some walking up those central steps to get to the lobby but entering the lobby, I was surprised it was better than I expected. I guess I felt that it did not suit the Four Points branding but could have maybe passed as a dated Sheraton in need of a new coat of paint and some new furniture. There are SPG signs at the check-in desk so it is coming together but no Platinum/Gold welcome mats on the floor just yet

I asked if I could see a room and maybe take a tour - and bingo - yes sir, please wait a moment and a Public Relations Manager will come and show me around ^

Anyway, you can see the photos to get an idea of the hotel. I was shown a standard room on the executive floor. The common area carpets looked new and walls appeared painted recently. I expected that there will be many outstanding improvements to bring it up to brand standard, such as the bedding. I was informed that it could be around 6 to 9 months before the bedding is replaced, so as with the toiletries which still uses the local product (that all the other Havana hotels use too) and not the generic 4P tubes. The bathroom was good size and appeared renovated. The TVs are 40inch LCD so at least that's a positive for Cuba Wifi is available and free for SPG members who book direct. I enjoyed about 10 minutes of internet in my 10 days there - that's crazy in today's modern world

Anyway, Platinum's will be upgraded to a suite if available and was told that the platinum amenity will be the full buffet at the restaurant. We will find out when a Platinum Flyertalker actually stays there and confirms.

To sum up I guess, my opinion is that it's located a nice quiet location and away from all that exhaust fumes. The hotel appeared in better condition that many hotels found in Havana - including The Nacional. It would be about 20 minutes by a really old car with no air con to the old town and you might get it down to 10CUC/USD cost. I personally wouldn't want to be that far out of the old town if visiting as a tourist unless you are keen to haggle on taxi cost. If only there was wifi/4G/internet in Havana and then Uber might exist and a 10CUC trip becomes only 3CUC - serious but true. The Hotel Inglaterra - which will become a Luxury Collection - is is the perfect spot and has an air of history with it but as mentioned in my post on that thread - I stayed there previously and it will require significant remodelling/renovations and intensive staff training before it will become a grand hotel reflective of the LC brand. What's more interesting, there are two brand new 5* hotels currently being built in the old town and when they become online in the next few years. Some people like grand buildings, some like modern ones - it will be an interesting future for Havana and Cuba.
Attached Images         
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Can one cancel - paging Starwood Lurker

Now when Trump announced change in travel policy and this hotel is owned by Gaviota, Cuban government entity, how can one go about cancelling prepaid reservations?

There is a one night reservation we made for December and as all reservations at the hotel it was prepaid. Do you think there is a potential recourse in light of recent events whether with Starwood or with a credit card company?

Last edited by asnovici; Jun 16, 2017 at 2:32 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by asnovici
Now when Trump announced change in travel policy and this hotel is owned by Gaviota, Cuban government entity, how can one go about cancelling prepaid reservations?

There is a one night reservation we made for December and as all reservations at the hotel it was prepaid. Do you think there is a potential recourse in light of recent events whether with Starwood or with a credit card company?
Wow - that's a really good question! I hope the best for you.

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Wow - that's a really good question! I hope the best for you.

Cheers.
Thank you, SkiAdcock, really hope Starwood would come to the rescue under these circumstances.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
From what I'm reading, patience would be advisable here. Nothing announced today was actual policy, but more "direction." And there's been talk of not impacting any deals that were already inked. Would be awesome for an eventual Lurker clarification, but I doubt they're in a position to clarify much of anything at this early juncture...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by asnovici

Actually in reading the FAQ SkiAdcock posted in one of the other Cuba threads, your prepaid reservation likely means you can still go as an individual person to person and even stay there. Look at answer #4 :

The announced changes do not take effect until OFAC issues new regulations. Provided that the traveler has already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to the President’s announcement on June 16, 2017, all additional travel-related transactions for that trip, whether the trip occurs before or after OFAC’s new regulations are issued, would also be authorized, provided the travel-related transactions are consistent with OFAC’s regulations as of June 16, 2017.

I am sure staying there will be prohibited by policy when the new directives come out, but I think it was consistent with regulations up to 11 AM ET this morning.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Stayed 3 nights last week. Some on tripadvisor say the worst SPG hotel ever. Even with all they have done I think I have to agree. The pictures above are legit, but they dont show the stained carpets in the room. We were upgraded to something close to 100 sqm covering the whole end of the building plus balcony, but I doubt you could find even half a square meter of carpet without a majority of stains. We just could let the kid on the floor at all- anywhere. And the smell of mold and sewage. Heavy.

Most staff was nice enough though, but english skills varied wildly, and even with the best spirit they are not magicians. Most positive was mostly working wifi, free for platinums. Also breakfast which probably was as good as it could get for Cuba- where food in general sadly is of bad quality and way too expensive IMO.
Food at Don Quijote inhouse restaurant was simple/bad and expensive- with limited choices.

Welcome gift was good though. A full bottle of aged Club Havana.

Nothing to do near hotel, other than walk 1 block to Melia hotel which is tenfold better. Takes time (close to 30 min/15-20 CUC one way) and money everyday to go to old town, but they do run a free shuttle 4x daily with 2 stops in Old Town. Walking to 5th avenue should make it easy to get a cab/private car for 10 CUC, or possibly even a shared ride close to local price if you speak spanish.

Worst thing was the in house cigar shop who warned me about fake cigars- yet selling me two fake Behikes (37 CUC a piece). This has been stated by two independant cigar store managers in EU.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Has anyone stayed here recently?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Does anyone have an email address for this hotel?

Edit: Found it. Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike Marriott? I miss SPG.

Last edited by margarita girl; Apr 18, 2019 at 5:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.