Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm perfectly happy providing my AAA # to Marriott, but I want to do it once and have them store it.

As it currently stands, I'm much more likely to book a Hilton or a Starwood if I'm using the desktop browser. (I know Marriott is happy to have me book a Starwood.) Only if I have a pressing need to book the heritage-Marriott property do I pull out my phone and book the AAA via mobile.

I'm always happy to show the card at the front desk, even though no one has asked me for it at a Marriott in years. If this is such a high priority for Marriott, why won't they at least store my number? Otherwise, they have to be losing stays from AAA members going to Hilton.
wcj1, cawhite and thehorsts like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm perfectly happy providing my AAA # to Marriott, but I want to do it once and have them store it.

As it currently stands, I'm much more likely to book a Hilton or a Starwood if I'm using the desktop browser. (I know Marriott is happy to have me book a Starwood.) Only if I have a pressing need to book the heritage-Marriott property do I pull out my phone and book the AAA via mobile.

I'm always happy to show the card at the front desk, even though no one has asked me for it at a Marriott in years. If this is such a high priority for Marriott, why won't they at least store my number? Otherwise, they have to be losing stays from AAA members going to Hilton.
If the rates are similar or lower on Hilton, then by all means make the move. It's easy enough to make use of a password manager or cut/paste to keep the number handy. I like LastPass since it allows me to sync my laptop with my cellphone with any computer I use.

Has anyone tried just the club code like Hilton allow(ed)? 430 was the number I always used there (not my club).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:39 pm
h2d

Question for those of us in Europe - now that Marriott has introduced the need for you to input you AAA card number at the time of booking, how can those of us with affiliated cards, for example ARC Europe cards such as from AA membership in the UK book these rates. Perhaps unsurprisingly my UK AA membership number is not accepted. I recall that SPG used to detail that Automobile Association (including AUTO CLUB, CAA and ARC Europe) members receive a discounted rate. Thanks in advance for any insights!
mario likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by h2d
Question for those of us in Europe - now that Marriott has introduced the need for you to input you AAA card number at the time of booking, how can those of us with affiliated cards, for example ARC Europe cards such as from AA membership in the UK book these rates. Perhaps unsurprisingly my UK AA membership number is not accepted. I recall that SPG used to detail that Automobile Association (including AUTO CLUB, CAA and ARC Europe) members receive a discounted rate. Thanks in advance for any insights!
Have you looked at the detailed rules for the rate? If it's valid for other international auto clubs and not just AAA, this should be stated. Otherwise one should assume that an AAA rate is only for AAA members.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by h2d
Something I would try is what Hilton did (maybe they are using the same API?) and that is to put in your three-digit club code instead of the 16-digit membership number. It's worth a try. If that fails then maybe contact your club's support line and see if they know how to get it done.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
Angry asking for AAA membership number at booking ......

I thought I was going crazy ... but apparently this is still happening in 2019 ... and like you pinniped if this is that important to them then they should have it stored in our profiles ... .. and stop RANDOMLY asking me for it .... (several times over the past few months but not all the time )
I just complained to Marriott again about this ... but right now "marriott.com does not require AAA membership to be provided to book an AAA rate " ...
I guess this just add to the "consistently inconsistent" nature of the experience of booking AAA on marriott.com.

Originally Posted by pinniped

Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Just skimmed through this thread so I thought I could provide some info that may be helpful.
1- AAA must be renewed yearly
2-I book AAA rates frequently and am only asked for my # about 20% of the time and it seems to be by properties that may have had guests say they had AAA when they didn't. In my experience these tend to be properties that may have groups booking that don't have a group rate or the AAA rate is cheaper, ie, youth sport leagues, etc.
3-Put the AAA app on your phone, no need to carry a card and it always shows if you are currently a member.
4-Do you really want Marriott to store more of your personal info?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My AAA club is happy to send me a PDF of my card by email. (They also send copies of my insurance card this way, so that I have the information on my phone and computer.)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:25 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hipquest
Just skimmed through this thread so I thought I could provide some info that may be helpful.
1- AAA must be renewed yearly
2-I book AAA rates frequently and am only asked for my # about 20% of the time and it seems to be by properties that may have had guests say they had AAA when they didn't. In my experience these tend to be properties that may have groups booking that don't have a group rate or the AAA rate is cheaper, ie, youth sport leagues, etc.
3-Put the AAA app on your phone, no need to carry a card and it always shows if you are currently a member.
4-Do you really want Marriott to store more of your personal info?

In almost 20 years of stays at SPG and (since merger) Marriott I have been asked for my AAA card exactly once and that was one of my very first Starwood stays. (We have over 40 years membership 😮
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by damon88

In almost 20 years of stays at SPG and (since merger) Marriott I have been asked for my AAA card exactly once and that was one of my very first Starwood stays. (We have over 40 years membership ��
I've yet to be asked at a property (I should have made this clear) I've been asked for my member# during the booking process online through marriott.com.

Last edited by hipquest; Jun 17, 2019 at 2:33 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:39 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I've been asked for my AAA member # online at marriott.com when booking several times. (I suspect that your number might be stored in a cookie or something, so if you delete your cookies, the website will likely prompt you to enter it again). At a property, I've only been asked to show proof of my AAA membership once (Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, though I've stayed there several times and only have been asked once, I think during my third stay. The last few times I've stayed there they did send a personalized platinum welcome email before the stay, mentioning that they might ask for proof of AAA membership, so I wasn't surprised when one of the front desk people asked).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:08 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
I have been asked once (Rennaissance Il Ciocco in Tuscany), but I always get asked to put my member number in online in order to book
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I don't remember if I have ever been asked by a hotel or Marriott website for my AAA member number.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:53 pm

I am not an AAA member but I sometimes get a promotion in the mail with a "temporary" card.... I wonder if that would work =)
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
I am not an AAA member but I sometimes get a promotion in the mail with a "temporary" card.... I wonder if that would work =)
I hope not.
cawhite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.