Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Here's a good one: Pay 145% extra with AAA rate

Hi all,

Here's a good one to keep in mind ... I'm looking to go to Brussels between Sept 6 and 8 ... so I searched for some nice Marriotts in town.

Without any codes or my MR number ... the Renaissance Brussels comes up with a EUR 89 per night rate.

Being an affiliated AAA member (the Swiss version of the AAA is member of "Show your card", entitling you to AAA rates in the US), I did a second search with the "AAA" option selected ... same hotel, same dates ... EUR 218, a 145% premium!

Lesson learned ... beware of the AAA rate outside the US!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:30 pm
In memoriam

Wonder what the Senior discount is...
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
...Lesson learned ... beware of the AAA rate outside the US!...
I think the lesson is broader than that: never assume any particular rate is the lowest rate -- check them all. And don't even get me started on reservation agents who claim that something is the "best available rate". It ususally goes something like this:

Me: what's the lowest rate for those dates?
Them: $x is the best available rate
Me: what about AAA -- is that a lower rate?
Them: yes, that's $(x-50).
Me: why didn't you mention that as the best available rate?
Them: you didn't mention your AAA membership.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I've seen the same thing.

IIRC, if you specify a corporate number, the site will not present the cheapest discount outside of the corporate/group rate. You need to check with or without. It seems to be tied to the availability engine.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
No different from any rate "deal" i've been marketed/convienced to look at here in the States. Free "breakfast", $50 per night credit, free night, etc, won't be offered at a decent rate and will be at least twice my corporate rate for the same room. I'm surprized there isn't a little kicker with the AAA deal though (free parking)...
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

I just saw similar in a US Ren. $159 with no code; $205 with AAA.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:26 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
I've seen this often with many of the hotels. Sometimes within the US too.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:49 pm

I checked out the Paris Marriott last night (for Sept 25 through Oct 1) and it was 665 Euros with no discounts and 564 Euros with AAA.

Bobette
Old Aug 9, 2007, 4:57 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I would guess that the AAA rate is some % off from the regular public nightly rate. And at any given time there may be other public "special" rates that will have an even larger % off rate. A number of times, I have seen the AAA rate be higher than a 2-for-breakfast weekend special rate at a hotel.

Though I have to admit, I don't often see the price difference to be as great as what the OP is seeing at this property.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by dhuey
I think the lesson is broader than that: never assume any particular rate is the lowest rate -- check them all.
That's the key. AAA frequently isn't the "best available rate". You have to check others before booking online. Usually on the 800# the agents are usually pretty good at alerting guests to better deals.

My biggest gripe is that the AAA rate is frequently something of a joke. The $220 room that goes down to $216 with AAA, etc. C'mon!!! Whatever happened to 10% discounts...or even 5%!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Wonder what the Senior discount is...
Several months ago, I checked the Senior Rate for the Newport Marriott....was hoping to go up with my Mom for a few days. Senior Rate was about $150 more than the 'no code' rate.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
And don't even get me started on reservation agents who claim that something is the "best available rate". It ususally goes something like this:

Me: what's the lowest rate for those dates?
Them: $x is the best available rate
Me: what about AAA -- is that a lower rate?
Them: yes, that's $(x-50).
Me: why didn't you mention that as the best available rate?
Them: you didn't mention your AAA membership.
AAA rates require membership - they're not going to check a rate that's restricted. That's like calling them & asking what's the price & they give you a price & then you expecting to get a specific corporate rate...Sorry, but I gotta side with Them on this one...
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
AAA rates require membership - they're not going to check a rate that's restricted. That's like calling them & asking what's the price & they give you a price & then you expecting to get a specific corporate rate...Sorry, but I gotta side with Them on this one...
Then call it the best unrestricted rate. There are so many AAA members -- 50,000,000! -- that I don't think it's comparable to a corporate rate.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
dhuey, bhat is correct....if it's not available to everyone, then it's a restricted rate. regardless of the size of the participating audience does still not make it available to everyone
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc
dhuey, bhat is correct....if it's not available to everyone, then it's a restricted rate. regardless of the size of the participating audience does still not make it available to everyone
What if it's a rate available only to American adults? Would that pass muster? The AAA membership is a very large chunk of that population.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.