Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I believe on the Hilton website, you have to enter your AAA account number to book the AAA rate. Maybe Marriott will follow...
I hate that on the HH site, because it doesn't save it and I don't have my AAA number memorized.

I do, however, have the international code memorized: 430. Type that in on HH, and you can book your room. (Of course, I still carry and show the real card if asked.)
Old May 25, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pinniped
I hate that on the HH site, because it doesn't save it and I don't have my AAA number memorized.

I do, however, have the international code memorized: 430. Type that in on HH, and you can book your room. (Of course, I still carry and show the real card if asked.)
I have the same problem with Hyatt AAA rates. Have you tried the international trick on their website?
Old May 25, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Does Marriott even offer AARP rates? Their "senior" rates start at age 62. Sadly, dh is eligible for AARP membership but far from 62!
Old May 25, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, HHonors-Gold, Marriott-Plat
Agree with other post, I rarely am asked for the card and I NEVER carry it. I do have an electronic version in my Apple Wallet on my phone which is always accepted. I'm guessing Andriod has a similar e-wallet.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ehallison
Does Marriott even offer AARP rates?
Used to. Hasn't for years.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC Hyatt asks for the AAA number too. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to store it in my profile and avoid hunting for the card every time.

I wish all hotels would ask for the AAA card at check in when someone is using an AAA rate, just as front desks should verify the age for senior rates. I suspect that lots of people (here on FT) are using rates to which they are not entitled.
I am a member, and hate this on hyatt. I just put in 12 digits and it works!!

I've been asked once in 4000+ Marriott nights!!!
Old May 26, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I believe on the Hilton website, you have to enter your AAA account number to book the AAA rate. Maybe Marriott will follow...
Agree.

Booking AAA on HH was/is a pain. Not w/ Marriott. Of course bring a card or have it available on your phone if you have the proper phone type so if asked at check-in you're good.

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ohmark
Used to. Hasn't for years.
Makes me wonder if AARP took some political position that Marriott doesn't like. (AARP is a very vocal political group.) Or if Marriott just decided to not be seen as endorsing them in general, so as not to alienate whatever portion of their guests have opposing political positions.

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
I am a member, and hate this on hyatt. I just put in 12 digits and it works!!
HH does some level of checking, because I've tried the random-digit approach. I don't know the AAA formatting well enough to know exactly what digits HH would check (they're obviously not looking you up in AAA's database). But Flyertalk told me that 430 works, and it does!
Old May 26, 2016, 7:31 am

Makes me wonder if AARP took some political position that Marriott doesn't like. (AARP is a very vocal political group.) Or if Marriott just decided to not be seen as endorsing them in general, so as not to alienate whatever portion of their guests have opposing political positions.
Doubt it. AARP's full membership age is 50 years old. Marriott's senior rate is 62 years old. My local movie theater used to have senior rate at 50 years old. It's now at 62 years old. I am not 62, so don't qualify for either Marriott or my movie theater's senior rate. I do, however, belong to AAA & have the shiny card to prove it

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Doubt it. AARP's full membership age is 50 years old. Marriott's senior rate is 62 years old.
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't like patronizing businesses that take public political positions (whichever way) and then want my money--in a sense, forcing me into endorsing whatever political views the company expresses. AARP is one that loudly proclaims their political views. There are others. I tend not to do business with them. So, hurrah for Marriott, whatever the motivation.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I suggest that most AARP members don't care one bit about the organization's political stances, and only join for the access to the discounts. The fee is only $16 per year.

As for Marriott not having a national deal, maybe the Hilton and SPA deals preclude other chains? (just a guess)
Old May 26, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I suggest that most AARP members don't care one bit about the organization's political stances, and only join for the access to the discounts. The fee is only $16 per year.
I don't disagree with that at all. I suspect that it's the AARP non-members (of the right age) who are more likely to be finely attuned to their political activism - and willing to talk about it and avoid the use of AARP partners.

I guess it's not too different than any other large organization. I'm sure Wal-Mart and I agree on some political issue, but I don't know what it is. But I could bore you to tears listing all of the areas where we disagree and why I won't shop there...
Old May 26, 2016, 11:07 am

Marriott (the corporation) usually stays out of most politics IIRC. I doubt dropping AARP & going to Senior Rate had much to do w/ politics & more to do w/ revenue - ie, not giving discount for those younger than 62, which I think is the first age one can collect social security, but that's just a guess.

Doesn't really matter. If you (generic you) book a rate that has a membership attached to it, be prepared to show proof of membership in case you get asked for it. And back to the OP, it's good that Orlando World Center is pro-active about it vs. doing a got cha at check-in.

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
I got a similar email recently about needing to be prepared to show my AAA card for my upcoming stay at the Charleston Marriott Town Center. I always carry it with me, so not an issue for me, but I hadn't received this type of email before.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
I've been asked once to show AAA (in Paris). More often to show government ID for that rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.