Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR [email protected]

(Send any correspondance to both addresses.)
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: UAmm, Hyatt Plat,Marriott Gold, AA EXP
Thumbs down SPG Luxury Privileges Rate @ SRKL

Just checked into St. Regis KL with SPG Luxury Privileges Rate. Found out at check-in the $100usd F&B credit doesn't include alcohol. The rate does not exclude alcohol.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club - Platinum
Stayed here a couple of weeks back. Was very impressed with the public areas. The French restaurant/breakfast venue is gorgeous! Also had the chance to check out the spa - I was assigned to a treatment room with jacuzzi and I thought that was quite impressive. During my stay there weren't a lot of guests in the hotel despite it being a weekend. Only a few other people during breakfast and I had the pool all to myself mostly.

Was quite happy with the butler service though. My requests were attended to quite fast including the complimentary 2 pieces pressing per day and the hot chocolate beverage I requested a couple of times.

Anyway, wrote a more detailed review here: http://iwandered.net/2017/04/07/st-r...lumpur-review/
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by vogriphach

Anyway, wrote a more detailed review here: http://iwandered.net/2017/04/07/st-r...lumpur-review/
nice review and pictures!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:16 pm

Stayed here a couple of weeks back. Was very impressed with the public areas. The French restaurant/breakfast venue is gorgeous! Also had the chance to check out the spa - I was assigned to a treatment room with jacuzzi and I thought that was quite impressive. During my stay there weren't a lot of guests in the hotel despite it being a weekend. Only a few other people during breakfast and I had the pool all to myself mostly.

Was quite happy with the butler service though. My requests were attended to quite fast including the complimentary 2 pieces pressing per day and the hot chocolate beverage I requested a couple of times.

Originally Posted by bizum
nice review and pictures!
Thanks for the review.
That said, you were ultimately invited to stay as a guest by the hotel so whilst the opinion may be of your own, the property and staff likely treated you above and beyond since you were in fact there to "audit" their property and services. Still, nice pictures and looks like a property which I might consider trying when I am at KL and the price is right.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Thanks for the review.
That said, you were ultimately invited to stay as a guest by the hotel so whilst the opinion may be of your own, the property and staff likely treated you above and beyond since you were in fact there to "audit" their property and services. Still, nice pictures and looks like a property which I might consider trying when I am at KL and the price is right.
Very true.

I still prefer the LM due to the price and location.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:52 am

My stay at this property was nothing but perfect. Even though there were some minor hiccups from the butler, the interactions I had with staffs from check in till check out was friendly and genuine. The hardware of the hotel was stunning and I could find no flaws in it. This hotel is definitely my new top favorite in the world. With their generous upgrade policy where i was upgraded to the St Regis suite from the base room, I could definitely see myself staying here again in the near future.

For a more detailed review, head over to: http://jerrremy.wixsite.com/pointhig...s-Kuala-Lumpur
Old May 10, 2017, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.

The hotel rates are quite high by KL standards and that is maybe the reason why it's not filling up as much as it should even by KL 5 star standards. Most other hotels are doing very good occupancy levels in comparison (Shangri-La/Grand Hyatt/JW Marrior).
Old May 10, 2017, 1:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Travel Agent (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Ritz, etc.)
Originally Posted by wolf72
The hotel rates are quite high by KL standards and that is maybe the reason why it's not filling up as much as it should even by KL 5 star standards. Most other hotels are doing very good occupancy levels in comparison (Shangri-La/Grand Hyatt/JW Marrior).
Yep, agree. For comparison, check out the Mandarin´s rates compared to St. Regis...kind of nuts, all things considered.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by wolf72
Agreed. I am in KL next week and staying at the STR for just 1 night to try it out -- the room rates are outrageous.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Hi,

Am I correct to assume there is no evening drinks for Platinums at this St.Regis like you get at Bangkok. Considering the rates and the lounge at LeMeridien have to say overall it just doesn't seem to have enough reasons to stay!

​​​​​​​
Old May 17, 2017, 1:52 pm

It's relatively uncommon for true luxury hotels (FS/MO/SL/StR/PH level and up) to provide free-flowing complimentary evening drinks in a club lounge or other similar settings, because the assumption is that people frequenting the top end luxury hotels will choose exactly what they want to drink, and will be happy to pay for it.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
It's relatively uncommon for true luxury hotels (FS/MO/SL/StR/PH level and up) to provide free-flowing complimentary evening drinks in a club lounge or other similar settings, because the assumption is that people frequenting the top end luxury hotels will choose exactly what they want to drink, and will be happy to pay for it.
While generally I agree when you look at the fact it seems to be low occupancy quite a bit and its rates have come down it appears it needs to do something to attract more guests. SPG members have good choices in KL and combine that with MO has Club Rooms and lounge at reasonable rates and SL has Horizon Club it seems these high end hotels see a demand for drinks etc.

I just don't see a great case for staying at St. Regis KL compared to other options SPG or 'high end' others will disagree but each to their own!
Old May 18, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
While generally I agree when you look at the fact it seems to be low occupancy quite a bit and its rates have come down it appears it needs to do something to attract more guests. SPG members have good choices in KL and combine that with MO has Club Rooms and lounge at reasonable rates and SL has Horizon Club it seems these high end hotels see a demand for drinks etc.

I just don't see a great case for staying at St. Regis KL compared to other options SPG or 'high end' others will disagree but each to their own!
And just down the road is The Majestic which just joined Marriott and will give SPG Platinums a great suite, buffet breakfast and has a lounge for free booze in the evening. I agree that there are few compelling reasons to stay at the St.R. in KL at these room rates. And LeM is a great hotel with beautiful refurbished suites and an exceptional lounge open for three hours in the evening :-).
Old May 18, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
And just down the road is The Majestic which just joined Marriott and will give SPG Platinums a great suite, buffet breakfast and has a lounge for free booze in the evening. I agree that there are few compelling reasons to stay at the St.R. in KL at these room rates. And LeM is a great hotel with beautiful refurbished suites and an exceptional lounge open for three hours in the evening :-).

I didn't know that! Haven't been paying much attn to Marriott... thanks for the info!
Old May 18, 2017, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun

I think the big problem with wanting to stay at the St Regis is...WHY stay there when it is not within the actual golden triangle of downtown Kuala Lumpur.

St.Regis is over at KL Sentral first of all. Not near Bukit Bintang which is the heart of downtown KL...unlike the Shangri-La, JW Marriot or even Grand Hyatt which is next to KLCC and a short 10 minute taxi ride or a 15 minute walk across via the walkway bridge they have built for people.

And those hotels are at least 10%-15% cheaper than what St.Regis is asking for on a per night basis.

I made my thoughts known...and I stay consistent with it. St.Regis is over charging for it's location and it's brand in KL. And the numbers at the end of the day as far as occupation % per week will justify my comments.

They should be looking to be on par with Hyatt and Shangri-La and realize, being at KL Sentral and not being able to actually walk to KL Sentral within 5-10 minutes is actually a disadvantage for them...unlike Hilton and Le Meridian which are essentially connected to KL Sentral and can justify the rates they charge for their 4 star accomodations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.