Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 19, 5:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR [email protected]

(Send any correspondance to both addresses.)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 6, 19, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by lewin85 View Post
Was reading earlier threads regarding the buffet breakfast and how it was disappointing. This must have changed because the buffet is now quite extensive.
Do they serve nasi lemak or teh tarik yet? Preposterous to think a large property in KL that doesn't offer this at breakfast.
Old Jan 6, 19, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by lewin85 View Post
I am staying here this week. Got upgraded to a St Regis suite from a base room reservation.

Front desk advises that breakfast comes included with the suite so as a Platinum I can choose the points instead.

Really great rooms though not much of a view.

Was reading earlier threads regarding the buffet breakfast and how it was disappointing. This must have changed because the buffet is now quite extensive. Still cannot be compared to the breakfast buffet at the nearby Le Meridien but there are tons of hot food options, made to order eggs, roast (who eats roast in the morning) etc, all of high quality.

lastly easy walk to entrance A of the MRT station. Use the back door to access.
Outing myself here, but I do enjoy slices of medium-rare roast beef for breakfast after my morning workout. The Meridien used to serve this, but have now replaced it with a "snail sausage". Thanks but no thanks.
Old Jan 6, 19, 7:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by zzap View Post
Do they serve nasi lemak or teh tarik yet? Preposterous to think a large property in KL that doesn't offer this at breakfast.
Iím pretty sure that I introduced my girlfriend to nasi lemak at the St Regis about a year ago at the breakfast (which I raved about in my review on this thread).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 6, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

Thanks for the summaryóand comments on the StR breakfast buffet. Enjoy your stay!

i must ask: what makes the LM breakfast buffet so special?
It was the roast beef for me, but others may differ...

But seriously, I think it's just the sheer range on offer. There's a wide range of fruit, fruit juices and yoghurt smoothies and local drinks, an a la minute noodle section with a choice of four soups and ten garnishes, a good choice of dim sum dumplings, a Japanese section, roast meats (yum) with all the "Western" accoutrements like baked beans, hash browns and sauteed mushrooms as well as cold cuts and cheeses, nasi lemak, fried noodles and rice plus a range of hot dishes (beancurd, beef rendang, curries, etc), eggs made to order, a whole baked goods counter, an Indian section (roti canai, chapatis, idli and a whole lot of chutneys, curries and pickles) and the LM signature dishes corner (baguette with kung pao chicken, the thinnest of egg crepes stuffed with galangal mushrooms and spicy coconut cream, and a frittata with prawn curry). A large selection of cereals is on offer along with gluten-free breads and spreads. They have also started doing daily one-bite special preparations which they offer directly to the guests at table. Plus, inexplicably in this part of the world, corn chips and guacamole.

Quality is good too.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Jan 6, 19, 8:06 pm
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by HollyGlen View Post
It was the roast beef for me, but others may differ...

But seriously, I think it's just the sheer range on offer. There's a wide range of fruit, fruit juices and yoghurt smoothies and local drinks, an a la minute noodle section with a choice of four soups and ten garnishes, a good choice of dim sum dumplings, a Japanese section, roast meats (yum) with all the "Western" accoutrements like baked beans, hash browns and sauteed mushrooms as well as cold cuts and cheeses, nasi lemak, fried noodles and rice plus a range of hot dishes (beancurd, beef rendang, curries, etc), eggs made to order, a whole baked goods counter, an Indian section (roti canai, chapatis, idli and a whole lot of chutneys, curries and pickles) and the LM signature dishes corner (baguette with kung pao chicken, the thinnest of egg crepes stuffed with galangal mushrooms and spicy coconut cream, and a frittata with prawn curry). A large selection of cereals is on offer along with gluten-free breads and spreads. They have also started doing daily one-bite special preparations which they offer directly to the guests at table. Plus, inexplicably in this part of the world, corn chips and guacamole.

Quality is good too.
Thanks! It sounds lovely! And yet, mostly lost on me as a typically provincial American breakfast lover. I can appreciate how visitors from other cultures may appreciate that tremendous diversity on offer. I also assume others can appreciate how most of that would creep me out for this American for breakfast. I love experimenting with food...but not for breakfast.
Old Jan 7, 19, 1:54 am

Thanks! It sounds lovely! And yet, mostly lost on me as a typically provincial American breakfast lover. I can appreciate how visitors from other cultures may appreciate that tremendous diversity on offer. I also assume others can appreciate how most of that would creep me out for this American for breakfast. I love experimenting with food...but not for breakfast.

I may be biased towards Le Meridien having probably spent many nights there over the past couple years. At Le Meridien you could sample probably 5 of more different types of cuisine for breakfast if you so wish. Not that it matters to me as I usually default to Nasi Lemak also or just eggs and toast. Roast beef or lamb are still on rotation. Sometimes they also have salt-baked fish and that sausage thing. I've seen Americans like yourself flabbergasted on the sheer diversity on offer. Most would end up just reaching for the toast. :-) The happy hour lounge offerings are amazing as well. Easily can have dinner there daily if you wish. Multiple hot items from different cuisine that changes daily depending on which hotel restaurant is hosting that night. For a business long term stay Le Meridien is just tremendous value for money.

St Regis' rooms can't be beat though. Even the base room I understand are more spacious compared to most typical hotels. Although service wise can't be compared to St Regis NYC. For example the butlers are less polished though I don't think many properties can compare to the flagship and service never is a strong suit in this part of the world (no incentive for tips maybe?) Did not see Nasi Lemak today morning. There's just some fried rice and fried noodles. The Brasserie is a beautiful restaurant and is peace and quiet compared to Le Meridien during busy periods. There's just 3 other tables when I was there.

Lastly I want to mention that there is a easy way to get from KL sentral to St Regis that don't require you to navigate any difficult terrain or cross any heavy traffic. You will need a MRT card as it requires that you go into the Muzium Negara MRT station from the KL sentral side, then exit from the only other exit/entrance. You will see St Regis clearly marked on the signs as you exit. It will cost 80 cents to walk through the station but exiting entrance A will bring you to the St Regis residence/hotel parking entrance and 2 minutes walk to the back entrance of the hotel. I understand from the front desk that there is actually a direct entrance from within the station that don't require you to walk outside at all but they keep it shut for some reason.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.

Last edited by lewin85; Jan 7, 19 at 1:56 am Reason: added notes
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:26 pm

A bit of a newbie at high-end hotels. Ordinarily I would generally not pay for a room at a St. Regis. I just don't spend enough time in the room when on vacation. But this property allows me to stay for a relatively low cost as compared to the US and Europe, so I just might try it. (And I am MR Plat, so there is a chance of an upgraded room and a breakfast as a welcome amenity, so why not.)

So, I have the newbie question. I doubt I'd allow the butler to pack and unpack for me, but coffee, tea, hot chocolate, advice, etc., all sound good. Does one tip the butler and if so, what is a generous tip range?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:38 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Malaysia does not have same tipping culture as US.

At STR Langkawi (not Kl) I stayed 11 nights).

I did not tip butler much as they did little except coffee. Maybr 10-20 USD

I did tip chief concierge $150 usd because he was amazing.

Personally, I would not tip a butler for a 1 night stay just getting coffee. But $2-$3 usd would be welcomed
lamphs and happygolucky_nomad like this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:49 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
A bit of a newbie at high-end hotels. Ordinarily I would generally not pay for a room at a St. Regis. I just don't spend enough time in the room when on vacation. But this property allows me to stay for a relatively low cost as compared to the US and Europe, so I just might try it. (And I am MR Plat, so there is a chance of an upgraded room and a breakfast as a welcome amenity, so why not.)

So, I have the newbie question. I doubt I'd allow the butler to pack and unpack for me, but coffee, tea, hot chocolate, advice, etc., all sound good. Does one tip the butler and if so, what is a generous tip range?

Thanks!
Tipping in Asia isn't like the USA. If you're not getting unpacking/packing, and only morning beverage service, a few dollars would be more than appropriate. But perhaps not necessary for a 1 night stay. With packing/unpacking, assuming they did a timely and good job, I'd tip another $10-20, depending on the length of stay. There is no rule.

But I highly recommend the unpacking/packing service, especially if you are staying for at least a few nights.

I also ask if the hotel splits tips between various departments. If they do, as is most common IME, I often leave one big tip in an envelope for all staff, left with a manager I trust to disburse appropriately. I only leave specific tips for specific persons/departments when they stood out for me in some way.

@SHLTP $150 tip for a concierge is extremely generous! They must have been very helpful. I've never left that much IIRC. But I do often find myself leaving extra tips for the concierge team most often.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 6:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
I would not tip in KL. By all means feel free to bring your local sense of generosity on your visit, but it would be neither expected, nor conventional.

Think of it as akin to you doing business with someone from a country who brings you coconuts and ripe mangoes.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:43 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Spire Amb; Hilton Diamond
So… no happy hour here, huh? I just realized I can get this property at a really cheap price but fear I may be a bit bored and the luxury will be wasted on my on a solo stay. A club lounge or platinum HH program is usually a key benefit.

Would you book the St. Regis for $120 when you can get the Ren for $60 or LM for $85.
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
Would you book the St. Regis for $120 when you can get the Ren for $60 or LM for $85.
You wouldn't. The property isn't worth it.
Old Jan 29, 19, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
So… no happy hour here, huh? I just realized I can get this property at a really cheap price but fear I may be a bit bored and the luxury will be wasted on my on a solo stay. A club lounge or platinum HH program is usually a key benefit.

Everyone has different priorities.

I’d gladly pay a mere $120 for the St Regis for its overall better hard and soft product, including the butler service, more luxurious amenities, likely better food/beverage, and overall better service due to the StR being only 156 total rooms (vs 856 rooms at the Ren and 397 rooms at the LM). The StR is a much better overall hotel with much better concomitant service, so I’d expect it would cost more—but $120 to me is a steal for the StR brand.

Also, as an Ambassador guest, I’m far more likely to be upgraded to a suite, perhaps even a specialty suite, at the StR—of which 1/3 of its total rooms, 52, are suites. That value-add makes the StR at $120 a no-brainer for me. (The Ren has only 65 suites out of its massive 856 rooms, and the LM has a mere 23 suites out of its almost 400 rooms.)

If you want cheaper, of course, the Ren and LM offer lower prices. But the StR to me still offers considerable value at an excellent price. It’s all relative.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: SQ TPP

Everyone has different priorities.

Iíd gladly pay a mere $120 for the St Regis for its overall better hard and soft product, including the butler service, more luxurious amenities, likely better food/beverage, and overall better service due to the StR being only 156 total rooms (vs 856 rooms at the Ren and 397 rooms at the LM). The StR is a much better overall hotel with much better concomitant service, so Iíd expect it would cost moreóbut $120 to me is a steal for the StR brand.

Also, as an Ambassador guest, Iím far more likely to be upgraded to a suite, perhaps even a specialty suite, at the StRóof which 1/3 of its total rooms, 52, are suites. That value-add makes the StR at $120 a no-brainer for me. (The Ren has only 65 suites out of its massive 856 rooms, and the LM has a mere 23 suites out of its almost 400 rooms.)

If you want cheaper, of course, the Ren and LM offer lower prices. But the StR to me still offers considerable value at an excellent price. Itís all relative.
I generally agree, except the service is probably better at LM, and the food is definitely better at the LM than this specific St Regis. Not sure about the Ren. There is generally a market driven reason why a St Regis prices this low, and it doesn't inspire confidence.
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by snaffled View Post
I generally agree, except the service is probably better at LM, and the food is definitely better at the LM than this specific St Regis. Not sure about the Ren. There is generally a market driven reason why a St Regis prices this low, and it doesn't inspire confidence.
Ah, I think you’ve drawn an incorrect conclusion. The entire Kuala Lumpur market is inexpensive. Checking some random dates tends to bring the following rates for the top luxury 5 star hotels in KL:

Mandarin Oriental $151
Grand Hyatt $153
Shangri-La $99
Four Seasons $200
St Regis $190
Ritz-Carlton $142
JW Marriott $120
LM $94
Westin $100

FWIW, TripAdvisor doesn’t even list the Ren as a 5 star property.

The StR price has little to do with its quality compared to StR in other cities; its price has everything to do with comparative pricing in the inexpensive KL market. That’s why the FS, RC, and MO are also super cheap relatively speaking.

I’d gladly take the StR at $120. I’m willing to bet the RC, FS, MO are all about the same price for the stay in question, as well.

Search this Thread