Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Miss Clara by Nobis (Design Hotel) - Stockholm, Sweden [Master Thread]

Old Apr 25, 16, 5:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

Address: Sveavägen 48, 111 34 Stockholm, Sweden

Getting to the hotel via public transportation:

- If you arrive at Arlanda Airport (ARN), the fastest – but somewhat expensive – train to get into Stockholm city is the Arlanda Express. If you don’t have a lot of luggage, it’s about a 10-min walk from the Arlanda Express station to the hotel, all on flat land and good sidewalks. Otherwise, you can walk over to the Central Station and take the metro one stop to Hotorget.
- If you chose to take the train or metro, it’s either a 15-min walk from Central Station (T-Centralen) or a 5-min walk from Hotorget T-bana (corner of Kungsgatan & Sveavagen)

Accessibility:

Two power-operated doors to get into the lobby. Two elevators to access all guest rooms. From what I remember, there were no steps involved to enter the property, traverse the main lobby & restaurant, or access guest rooms. (The front door is left corner in the picture above - the alcove just below where it says Miss Clara.)

Check-in:

Just as you enter the second set of double-doors, the check-in counter is along the left wall. The staff there can assist you with check-in/check-out and also serve as the hotel’s concierge. All my interactions with them (including having them help me plan out each day, calling certain establishments to ensure they were open, etc.) were delightful.

Room:

I booked a standard room, but was upgraded to a superior king bed room (basically two standard beds pushed together). Looked similar to this stock photo:
Room was definitely small by US standards, but it was fine for me as a single traveler. No closet, but there are hangers/hooks in the hallway. No desk, which I found incredibly lacking. You have two options: on the bed using the built-in “chair back” (shown above) or sit in the window nook where you can enjoy the views/fresh air. (There’s a lap desk on the bed.) Bed and pillows were quite comfortable, but I found it weird to have two double bed comforters instead of one king-sized comforter. Minibar fridge is built into one of the cabinets under the window – fully stocked with juices/water/sodas/alcohol for purchase, but just enough space for me to stash a few bottles of my own water/beers. Stemware and glasses provided also. Bathroom was standard size with a very comfortably-sized shower stall. I forget the brand of the amenities, but I liked them very much.

*A warning: In my room, one walls of the shower stall was a semi-frosted floor-to-ceiling window – looking into the room. So if you have a roommate sitting in bed, the “window wall” into the bathroom is 3-6 feet away. There were a few mostly-translucent floor-to-ceiling curtains along that wall, so if you pulled all of them over to cover the bathroom window, you probably wouldn’t be able to see in? (Here’s a stock photo showing that half-translucent shower window:
)

Overall, I really enjoyed how well-appointed the room was. From the windows to the lighting, cabinetry, bathroom fixtures, and stemware – everything was incredibly thoughtful and functional. From the pictures on the website, it does appear that once you book a deluxe room or suite, you get more space.

Restaurant:

I only ate breakfast (which was included in my rate) in the restaurant. There is no club lounge. I don't believe there is an a la carte menu - just the buffet. Buffet consisted of: 4 hot items (perfectly cooked scrambled eggs, Swedish pancakes, sausages, American-style bacon); 4 types of yogurt; a selection of seeds & dried fruits; 3-4 types of dried cereal; 4-5 jams/marmalades; fresh juices (blueberry, raspberry, apple, orange); cold selections - cheeses, pate, cured meats; 7-minute and 10-minute hard boiled eggs; deviled eggs; smoked salmon and pickled herring; several breads, several pastries and desserts; fruit salad. Coffee & tea are self-serve from a different table. I quite enjoyed the breakfast; nothing too heavy and didn’t taste like the mass-produced “food from a can/bag” that you’ll sometimes find at a lower-end hotel.

Fitness center:

In the basement (level -1 in the elevator). Small, but functional – 1 each of elliptical, stationary bike, treadmill; some free weights and resistance machines as well. Towels available. Water cooler in the fitness center dispenses still & sparkling water! Inside the fitness center is a door that leads to a unisex sauna. No toilets, but there are two showers with towels and toiletries. Sauna seats ~4 comfortably, about ~6 awkwardly. I used the sauna every day – quite a nice way to start/end the day.

5 minute walk to Hotorget station; 10-15 minute walk to the Central Station (depending on the entrance). Not much around the actual property though. I was able to walk pretty much everywhere I wanted to go: City Hall, Palace, Gamla Stan. You can also easily catch buses from the bus stops right front of the hotel. Entire area neighborhood felt safe and was well-lit. A few blocks up the street is a state-run liquor/wine store and a local grocery store.

Overall:
I’d definitely stay here again. Property definitely has more of a boutique hotel feel, and while nothing is overly glamourous or luxurious, the entire experience was still very comfortable and classy. I do caution about the room size and lack of desk. I think a couple would probably find a standard or superior room to be cozy but adequate; a non-couple may find the quarters to be a bit TOO cozy. Do take advantange of the sauna in the fitness center, but do also remember that it’s unisex.

(*Disclaimer: All photos either from Starwood's or hotel's website.)
omegadeal likes this.
Old Jul 8, 16, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, WN A-List Pref & CP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott (LT) Plat, Hertz PC
I completed a 3 night stay in July and was very impressed.

Booking: I used points (16K / night) for a standard double.

Room: The hotel was nearly booked full. I was pleasantly upgraded to the highest level room (the 2-level Etage Suite) - room 315. Check-in was very pleasant. I arrived around 10 AM and the front desk gladly stored my bags until check-in at 2. When I returned to the hotel at 2, the bags were already in the room. I also had a welcome note and gift of caramels.

The room is a bit of a strange design. There is a large downstairs with a tv and sitting area, as well as a desk. There is also a powder room. There is a huge 2-story window. Up the long stair case is the bed, closet, and full bathroom. The bed is in a loft overlooking the living room below through a plexiglass half-wall. The ceiling is sloped, so it's a bit difficult to get into bed on the left-side (facing the bed). However, the sheets and bedding are very comfortable. The bed was a king but had two separate duvets (one for each person), which seems to be the Scandinavian style. There is also a door upstairs that was locked (unsure where it leads).

One note: the bathrooms have curtains over glass in the door which is partially see-through. Mainly an issue for the powder room.

Unfortunately, I didn't use any of the facilities (gym or breakfast).

The location is on a main street; however, the room was quiet since it was not on the main street. It was easy to walk to most of the sites with plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the very friendly service, neat building, upgrade, and good location. It's a Design Hotel, which may not be for everyone (not your cookie cutter Sheraton), but it made me want to seek out more Design Hotels in the future even with limited benefits. I would gladly return to Stockholm (wonderful city to visit) and Miss Clara by Nobis.
Old May 25, 18, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I agree with the comments here - Nice property, great staff, good location. The only item I would point out is that the room I stayed in does not have a desk. They provide a pad for laptop use in the bed, but it was a bit hard to get work done while here.
Old May 26, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador Elite
If you stay here, definitely give the pizza restaurant a try, it's phenomenal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: