Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Lurker is Out of Office

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2003, 6:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lensman:
I know I'll be in the minority here, but I do believe that you haven't really completed your civic duty until you've actually served on a jury.

Don't make up excuses for getting out of serving on a jury. It is important that smart and capable people serve on juries rather than just the people who don't believe that they are too important to waste their time on it.
</font>
You may or may not be in the minority but you're assuming people try to avoid jury duty out of a sense of self importance rather than a matter of principle. Have you considered people might not want to participate because they believe the peer jury system is fundamentally flawed?

[This message has been edited by AAlton (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Unfortunately, Mary Carey wasn't elected governor of California, but her platform addressed jury issues
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> I will coordinate the state’s unemployment and jury systems, so that anyone who applies for unemployment will instantly be called for jury duty. This will save California state and local governments millions of dollars, because we won’t have to pay for jury duty. It will also relieve those with jobs from the stress of serving on lengthy juries. </font>
Old Oct 11, 2003, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I bet someone on an insider trading charge or securities fraud etc would just LOVVE a dozen ozzie dole bludgers deciding if they were "guilty" or not.

------------------
Don't forget the FT Party In Paradise 'PiP' Hana Hou - in HNL Oct 25-27
Old Oct 11, 2003, 11:19 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAlton:
You may or may not be in the minority but you're assuming people try to avoid jury duty out of a sense of self importance rather than a matter of principle. Have you considered people might not want to participate because they believe the peer jury system is fundamentally flawed?
</font>
OK, everybody who suggested a jury avoidance strategy who also believes that the peer jury system is flawed please raise their hand!

I admit that I don't think about the group you describe because I have yet to meet anyone in that group. Most everyone I meet in the jury pool is trying their best to get out of jury duty because it's too much of an inconvenience to their schedule and their bosses are not sympathetic to the need for good jurors.

It's even gotten to the point where we were instructed by the judge not to look too relieved if we were excused during the impanelment process.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:32 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Thought I would take some of the mystery out of whether or not I was selected - I wasn't, so I'm back in the office today.

It wasn't that bad an ordeal, although I have to say that I'm glad I didn't have to sit on this jury. So two parking tickets later and a $6 donation to the Victim's Crime Fund, here I am. However, it will take a little time to catch up on things - at Flyertalk and in my email Inbox.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

I will be out of the office from now until December 1st at noon for the Thanksgiving holiday.

No doubt there is some unfinished business in regard to some past requests for help, but I have run out of time and will have to follow up upon my return.

In the meantime, I wouldn't bother sending emails to the [email protected] email address until a day or two after December 1st. If you do anyway, please expect a delay in my response.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide and Starwood Preferred Guest!

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA exec plat, SWA A List, AA 4 million miler, United 1K, Starwood Platinum
TravelinWilly,
That's our trick! Works like a charm every time. Last call to jury duty was late spring, asked for the friday before July 4th weekend, not needed, worked like a charm!
Great minds think alike!
MrsExecPlat
Old Nov 26, 2003, 6:03 am

All the best to you and your family William. Safe travels and good times with your family

Old Nov 26, 2003, 8:12 am
Suspended

have a wonderful holiday and thank you for recycling the previous applicable thread.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

I'm leaving tonight for the Christmas holidays, and, although I will be back briefly on December 31st to check in on how everything is going, I will be gone - for the most part - until Monday, January 5th.

Happy Holidays from everyone at Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide and Starwood Preferred Guest!

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited Dec 23, 2003).]
Old Dec 23, 2003, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Twas the night before the night before Christmas.....

Have a great holiday William!
Old Dec 23, 2003, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy new year William! You deserve it.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 7:57 pm

Happy Holidays William! Thanks for all of your help throughout this year!
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">thank you for recycling the previous applicable thread.</font>

Season's Greetings, William!

Old Dec 24, 2003, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Have a great holiday, William!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.