FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Hanoi, Vietnam [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/175850-sheraton-hanoi-vietnam-master-thread.html)

leiterk Feb 28, 2004 5:37 pm

Sheraton Hanoi, Vietnam [Master Thread]

I was booked into this hotel for Feb. 25-28. About 1 week before my stay I got an email from the Director of Marketing indicating that they had a delay in opening and could not accomodate me. That was the bad and good part.

I really wanted to stay in this hotel because it seemed very nice with nice amenities on a lake (and just opening) and I wanted to stay at a Sheraton due to my Platinum benefits (so sad - they may go away shortly). I also thought it would be a great way to use points - currently this hotel is a Category 1.

So I was told that had rebooked me into the Sofitel Plaza and would cover the cost of the room and all meals and transportation from the airport. I would also be able to eat at the Sheraton free if I wanted, as they were in "full simulation mode". I decided that I wasn't excited about the Sofitel and wanted a more central location if I couldn't stay at the Sheraton. So I requested 3 other hotels and the Sheraton obliged with the 2nd choice, the Hanoi Hilton, a very good location next to the Opera.

I did visit the Sheraton on my last day and it is beautiful. The facilities look great, the view on the lake and the pool are lovely. The public spaces are wonderfully furnished and the restaurant that we ate at was good (although the pricing is quite high for Hanoi). Their flagship restaurant (Hemispheres) wasn't open yet. We also got to see a Suite, although I think they spent 45 minutes tidying it up since initially they weren't comfortable showing it and the suite looked great with beautiful wood, a marble bathroom and all that kind of stuff.

We met the General Manager, Alain Rigodin, who comes from the Sheraton Imperial in Kuala Lumpur. He had a great attitude, was friendly and very apologetic about "bumping us". The staff generally seemed great with the right attitude (although once they start meeting us hard core Platinum members that could change!). In the next few months upgrades to Suites and the Club level might be a problem since the hotel is only opening 100 rooms (and a handful of suites) initially, but I'm sure the hotel will make it up with other amenities.

To end my long story, the Sheraton covered our 3 night stay at the Hilton including our meals, provided a $40+ welcome amenity (a $30 Hilton bottle of wine - I felt guilty) and then even said they would return our points.

All in all a great customer service experience from the Sheraton Hanoi and Starwood. All 2 days before my Platinum status will go away. The sad part, now I'll have to decide between staying at Hyatts as a Diamond or at Starwoods as a measley Gold, with little VIP status ...

MAN Flyer Feb 29, 2004 9:20 pm

Interesting to read this. I am currently in the Hilton in Hanoi and saw the Sheraton yesterday when I arrived. The one in Saigon is impressive, particularly the nightclub with open-air balcony on 23rd floor !.

Must make sure I get Gold status with Starwood this year as these Sheratons would be ideal !!. Currently stay in Hilton in Hanoi and Renaissance in Saigon 3 times a year.

A320 EOW Mar 10, 2004 1:22 pm

Sheraton Hanoi, Vietnam, Master Thread

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040310/105609_1.html

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Announces the Opening of the Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, Its Second Property in Vietnam
Wednesday March 10, 2:30 pm ET
Sheraton Hanoi Hotel Is The First Five Star International Hotel To Open In Hanoi In The New Millennium

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 10, 2004-- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc., (NYSE: HOT - News) announces the opening of the Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, its second property in Vietnam. The opening of the 299-room hotel heralds both a new standard of luxury accommodation in Hanoi and the further expansion of Starwood's upscale Sheraton brand in Vietnam and Asia. The Sheraton Hanoi Hotel is managed by the Starwood and owned by Malaysia's Faber Group and the Vietnam Ministry of Finance.

Located on the picturesque shores of Hanoi's Tay Ho or West Lake, the Sheraton Hanoi Hotel will be one of the finest hotels in Vietnam. The hotel is located just 25 minutes from Hanoi's Noi Bai International Airport and minutes from downtown Hanoi. The Sheraton Hanoi Hotel is situated amidst lush landscaped gardens, bridges, tranquil courtyards, sweeping lawns and refreshing fountains.

The Sheraton Hanoi Hotel is centrally located within the business and tourist district of the city. The lake, upon which the hotel is set, was traditionally an area where the Vietnamese royal family spent their recreational time and where past royalty erected summer palaces and sponsored religious foundations. Today, the Presidential Palace is visible from the hotel as are religious pagodas and temples.

The hotel offers superb facilities, featuring the largest standard guest rooms in the city, each measuring approximately 400 square feet. All guestrooms feature traditional decor with a local Vietnamese and French Colonial influence, and offer spectacular views of the West Lake. All guestrooms are luxuriously appointed and equipped with the latest telecommunications and entertainment facilities including: broadband internet access, voice mail, IDD telephone, satellite TV and date points for facsimile or personal computer. The hotel also offers seven meeting rooms with a total of more than 11,000 square feet, suitable for small to medium-sized meetings, with a capacity of 500 guests for its largest meeting room.

The Sheraton Hanoi Hotel will feature innovative food and beverage outlets including: Oven D'Or which will provide all day dining; Hemispheres, a specialty restaurant which will be open for lunch and dinner; and, Nutz, a lively bar and restaurant open in the evenings and featuring live entertainment.

The Health and Fitness Center will include a world-class gymnasium, sauna, spa treatments and private massage. All feature an extensive range of state-of-the-art equipment with direct access to the beautifully designed pool and garden area.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with more than 740 properties in more than 80 countries and 105,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. With internationally renowned brands, Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels and resorts including: St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, Sheraton, Westin, Four Points by Sheraton, W brands, as well as Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., one of the premier developers and operators of high quality vacation interval ownership resorts. For more information, please visit www.starwood.com.

Please contact Starwood's new toll-free media hotline at (866)4-STAR-PR (866-478-2777) for photography or additional information.

JOURNALISTS - PLEASE NOTE: JOIN STARWOOD'S PRESS RELEASE ALERT SERVICE TO RECEIVE STARWOOD COMPANY NEWS AND INFORMATION. To become a member, simply access the Starwood website, at www.starwood.com. Once you reach the home page, simply click on "Company News," enter your e-mail address, and click "Subscribe."

Media Contact:
Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Diane Curtis, 844-719-9000
Fax: 844-719 9001
[email protected]
or
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Mark Ricci, 914-640-8496
[email protected]

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

TheCruiser Apr 25, 2004 12:26 pm

Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh (Saigon), Vietnam

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Hanoi in vietnam? Club floor or Spa services available? Planning on staying in July. Rates are as low as $85/night. Any opinions on whether the Sheraton is preferrable over the Hilton Hanoi Opera? Thanks in advance. Also, any updates on the Sheraton in Ho Chi Minh?

lesmiz99 Nov 9, 2004 7:27 pm

Sheraton Hanoi: Thumbs up or down?

Hi folks

Greatly appreciate any comments from recent stays at the Sheraton Hanoi. We'll be staying a total of 8 nights there in early December. Particularly keen to hear any news about privileges accorded to Platinum members and the best room we should ask for. BTW, is there an Executive Lounge? Thanks a bunch! :D

CPwingwalker Nov 15, 2004 3:58 pm

Trying hard!

^ Stayed at the Sheraton Ha noi in May of this year a few months after it opened. At that time the Executive Floor and lounge had not opened so unable to comment.

This was my first visit to Viet nam and Ha noi. Wisely, I booked the hotel car to pick me up at the airport and the driver was waiting for me and walked me out to the car. Check-in was very courteous and I was already upgraded to a full one-bedroom suite. (Was done in advance as it showed on my spg.com online booking). As there was no lounge I was told that I had full run of the breakfast buffet (very good selection and staff who were falling over themselves to be helpful) and for evening cocktails could avail myself of the lobby lounge -- Moet Chandon champagne available (!). The suite itself has a high ceiling, interesting built in library cabinetry surround the work area and desk. Large sitting room with sofas. The bedroom is a bit smaller and there is a large bathroom with separate shower and tub. Remember drink only the bottled water provided next to the sink (even for brushing your teeth!). The decor is understated in what I found to be a Viet namese take on European style.
The location is peaceful on a little island on the lake immediately to the north of the centre of the city. It is about 10min taxi ride to the centre -- definitely not walkable as the first part is on a major (and highly air polluted) road. There is an Australian fellow who is the managing director (a French fellow is listed as GM but never saw him) and he was very much visible in the lobby throughout the day and early evening. He even offered to burn a CD of my digital pics when I mentioned that my disc was full.
A fascinating city to explore and Ha long bay is definitely worth the side trip (although the 3hour drive each way is arduous).

beachfan Nov 22, 2004 12:06 am

Just curioius, you said "wisely" you booked the hotel car. Was it more difficult than an average city to get from airport to hotel or is it just the jet lag.

SanDiego1K Nov 22, 2004 11:37 am

I have been to Hanoi twice. I've used a taxi at the airport, and found it very easy. Also, it is about half the price of a hotel car.

CPwingwalker Nov 23, 2004 12:17 am

Late night arrival, 1st time in city

"wisely" in that it was my first time in Ha noi and arriving late at night. I don't need hassles and cost was not at issue. Viet nam is still a developing country vis tourism infrastructure and like many other countries taxis can be a little dodgy .. especially if you are from the first world, arriving on a late night flight and obviously have never been there before. Better safe than sorry. Now that I have been, I would be comfortable taking a taxi. It's a matter of personal preference. Enjoy your trip!

Life_Platinum Nov 26, 2004 11:55 am

We just returned to NYC after spending time in Vietnam. The Hanoi Sheraton definitely is a thumbs up!! I've posted our thoughts under another thread entitled Trip Report Indochina and Yokohama.

lesmiz99 Dec 20, 2004 1:06 am

Review of Sheraton Hanoi

We had spent a total of 8 nights at the Sheraton Hanoi early this month. Here're some observations that I hope some would find useful:

i. The hotel is undergoing renovation on its top floors, so be prepared for some pretty loud work from 9 am -5 pm. This was not reflected on its website.

ii. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite, which was more than adequate for the two of us. Decor's pretty much understated with lots of red wood around. Somehow, I felt that the suite lacked sufficient lighting.

iii. There's a decent Executive Lounge on the 17th floor. Continental food in the day, and canapes/alcoholic drinks in the evening. Unfortunately, there's nothing to nibble on during the day - just coffee/tea and soda. Some light snacks such as cookies would be much appreciated.

iv. Being PL, one could breakfast at either the restaurant in the lounge or in the Executive lounge. We always went to the former. The food was good, with a pretty wide selection; there's even real pure honey. (Other PL benefits include: light pressing, free internet and local calls, and welcome drink)

v. All in all, I would give the place 3 out of five stars. It's an OK place but THE biggest room for improvement must be the English language skills of its employees and its customer service in the restaurant in the lounge. They were not exactly warm and forthcoming:

- On our first breakfast there, the lady manning the egg station literally grunted her disapproval that we asked for a boiled egg but the water in her pot was already cold.
- A surly waiter simply nodded when we asked for coffee and carried on setting the table; had to ask another waiter for the coffee.
- There's this cashier lady who demands that you sign for the breakfasts, even though you explain till you're blue in your face that the breakfast is included. (We were doubly billed for this).
- And they start frowing when you're there 10-20 minutes before breakfast ends (at 10 am).

beachfan Dec 20, 2004 2:01 am

Thanks for the post, headed there next week. Your post is somewhat more negative than the others, perhaps it's worth a note to the GM? The customer service issue sounds like it shouldn't be hard to improve, but without the improvement, it won't go anywhere.

Would you stay there again? Or try the Hilton Opera House (without status).

PS His name is Mr. Alain Rigodin

Life_Platinum Dec 21, 2004 6:56 am

When we were there a few days before Thanksgiving, we were unaware of any construction, although we were told that 3 floors of the hotel were not occupied. The hotel had closed for about 7 years after opening for a few months in 1997, and as the hotel gained a reputation and attracted more guests, we were told that additional rooms would come on line. Great that this is happening.

We did not eat at the lobby restaurant, but rather had breakfast on the Concierge lounge where the staff were very pleasant and extremely helpful. We did eat dinner at the hotel's fine restaurant in a wing that was directly across from the front door to the lobby, and the staff were very helpful. It is true that many in the hotel have trouble with English, but this hotel has been open for about 6 months. I expect the language skills of the staff will improve quickly. The staff made up for the poor English skills of some employees by their willingness to help and make up confortable. They did impress us. We would be more generous with a grade based on our experiences.

This is a property and a city that we want to return to in the very near future, and one of the few places where the US dollar goes very far!

beachfan Jan 5, 2005 11:57 am

I spent 4 nights there last week. Excellent experience. Got a lovely suite (902?), which I just loved. It took a little extra (declining the 17th floor deluxe room as too small) but the Duty Manager made it happen easily (once I got to her).

Since food was sooo cheap and exciting out and about, I preferred breakfast in the lounge. Great service, no English problems. Food was not bad, but not at the level of Sheraton HCMC.

I didn't find the location too inconvenient, but is a consideration. However, if you have status there, it's worth the inconvenience. Excellent massage (and I used to be a massage thereapist) for only $25.

I also splurged and took transfers to and from airport. Very efficient and helpful.

Hiro32 Dec 6, 2005 12:11 pm

I stayed at Sheraton Hanoi in August, and I felt their service was great.
It's just far away from downtown, and I had to argue with taxi drivers every night because they always tried to cheap tourists, and also I got fake money from them... Watch the meter all the time.

I used Taxi to get to the hotel, and I remember I used VND, but I thought I could have used USD. Ask information desk at the airport. They can tell you how much it costs to your hotel in USD and VND.

Good luck!