Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Medellin, Colombia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Medellin, Colombia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
TravelinSperry There are some amazing deals in Medellín at the moment including the 4pts which can be had for $80 per night. I was back there a couple of weeks ago and stayed at Leblón Suites for $50 (on booking.com) which was also a nice stay.

Hotel Diez which has an amazing location for leisure stays keeps dumping cheap inventory all over the place. Use a meta search like Kayak and you can pick it up for as little as $42 per night. It's cheaper, better location and just as nice as the 4pts but with a Colombian design twist. They do a nice breakfast too and include good internet in their rates.
Thanks, good to know. Where is the nightlife & restaurant area? El Poblado? What street (calle?) Trying to get my bearings so I can find a centrally located hotel (I prefer to walk than cab around).
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:30 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Thanks, good to know. Where is the nightlife & restaurant area? El Poblado? What street (calle?) The 4P doesn't appear terribly far from that area assuming it is the nightlife area. But clearly the Hotel Diez and IHG are closer.
There are lots of bars and eateries around Parque Lleras. Slightly less obvious places going up the hill from Lleras to the East. The Diez is on the other side of Calle 10 from these other bars and restaurants. Depends how rowdy you want your night out. Parque Lleras is crazy bonkers, to the east a bit is still cool but a bit more relaxed. We are not talking two distinct areas, they are all in one area.

According to Google maps, the 4pts is a 25 minute walk/9 mins taxi to this area along Av Poblado. But as I alluded earlier, that's if you can find Av Poblado. 4pts is actually on the very edge of Medellín, over the road you are in Envigado and if you do your homework, that is also an upmarket place to go out. Casa Museo Otraparte in Envigado seems to also be 9 mins in a taxi from 4pts. That has nice outside dining.

Right next to the 4pts you have Oviedo Mall which is interesting if you want to see Colombians hanging out at a mall. It's actually quite sociable, you also have a big McDonalds next to the mall. The walk along Av Poblado to Poblado Plaza is mainly comercial with big offices but if you hit it at about 5.30pm then there are a couple of cheap bars where office workers stop by for a beer at the end of the day and there's a nice atmosphere for about an hour.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Stayed here for 2 nights. I wish I checked out the other mall I only went to Santa Fe. I walked to the Metro station it was probably 10-15 minutes walking .
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
is the location of the hotel that bad? most reviews find the location pretty decent. have not been to medellin before so just want to find a centrally located hotel to explore the city
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Lonsinla
is the location of the hotel that bad? most reviews find the location pretty decent. have not been to medellin before so just want to find a centrally located hotel to explore the city
I would welcome any thoughts on this too. We are visiting Medellin for the first time in a couple of weeks and staying 3 nights at the 4 points. Trying to decide whether it is worth booking a tour to take us around a few places or do it ourselves. I am leaning towards a short tour on the first day and then using cabs to get to some other places we want to see.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:25 pm

The location is not "bad" it is just not as conveniently located as other hotels but this depends on what you want to do.

If you have business at the stock exchange in San Fernando Plaza then it's a great location.

When I said it's on the very edge of Medellín and almost in Envigado, that is like a hotel in Minneapolis being almost in St Paul, or a hotel in Cheltenham almost being Gloucester.

Medellín is a lopsided city, the entertainment district is in the south. As is Bogotá. You do not want to be in the centre of Medellín. It's somewhat edgy.

If you want to go to the centre on the metro then 4pts is as conveniently located as any other. If you want to be able to walk out of your door and have a huge choice of restaurants and people enjoying themselves then you should pick another location. As I said above, 4pts is about 25 minutes away walking from the touristy zone.

It's a nice enough hotel in an area that is going to have lots of well heeled people nearby due to its proximity to a mall, but I think I mentioned on the previous page. It is very hard to orientate yourself. The front door of the hotel is on quite a busy curve connecting to Av Poblado and that points you in the wrong direction. The back entrance is through Oviedo Mall and who doesn't get lost in a mall that they don't know? It can realistically take you 10 mins to reach Av Poblado and get yourself walking in the right direction.

That's the fair appraisal, I stayed there the second time I went to Medellín. On subsequent visits I preferred to go to somewhere a bit handier such as close to Calle 10 which has "walk out the door eats and drinks"
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
I would welcome any thoughts on this too. We are visiting Medellin for the first time in a couple of weeks and staying 3 nights at the 4 points. Trying to decide whether it is worth booking a tour to take us around a few places or do it ourselves. I am leaning towards a short tour on the first day and then using cabs to get to some other places we want to see.
If you want to tour the centre then I would recommend you book a tour and do the centre, Parque Botero, Museo Botero, take the metro to Santo Domingo to ride the cable car and see Biblioteca Espańa.

On such a tour you will figure out how to get to Santo Domingo in case you want to go to Parque Arví. You will also pass Parque Explora and the Botanical Garden in case you want to go back there independently. You will already know where Poblado Metro station is.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
If you want to tour the centre then I would recommend you book a tour and do the centre, Parque Botero, Museo Botero, take the metro to Santo Domingo to ride the cable car and see Biblioteca Espańa.

On such a tour you will figure out how to get to Santo Domingo in case you want to go to Parque Arví. You will also pass Parque Explora and the Botanical Garden in case you want to go back there independently. You will already know where Poblado Metro station is.
Thank you, that is pretty much the tour we have been looking at doing, so this is really helpful. We thought we might try and then see Communa 13 independently another day? Does this sound reasonable?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Thank you, that is pretty much the tour we have been looking at doing, so this is really helpful. We thought we might try and then see Communa 13 independently another day? Does this sound reasonable?
I don't know Comuna 13 sorry. There seem to be plenty of tours there but I cannot say whether it is a sound idea to do it on your own or not
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Staying at this hotel now, after staying at an apartment with friends for the past 3 previous nights. The apartment rental was right near Parque Lleras, the nightlife area, but far from the metro. The hotel is a bit closer to the metro (which is clean and great but doesn't go everywhere you want to go) but further from the main tourist attractions.

Honeslty though, now that Uber has come to Medellin, it makes things much easier. Rides anywhere in the city seem to be $2-$4 and it's great to have the convenience of someone picking you up. Not many folks speak English but it doesn't really matter.

The free breakfast here is good, and convenient to have that. If you need some nights/stays to get to Plat, this is a cheap hotel to do it and worth it since it's inexpensive.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zoomgirl
Staying at this hotel now, after staying at an apartment with friends for the past 3 previous nights. The apartment rental was right near Parque Lleras, the nightlife area, but far from the metro. The hotel is a bit closer to the metro (which is clean and great but doesn't go everywhere you want to go) but further from the main tourist attractions.

Honeslty though, now that Uber has come to Medellin, it makes things much easier. Rides anywhere in the city seem to be $2-$4 and it's great to have the convenience of someone picking you up. Not many folks speak English but it doesn't really matter.

The free breakfast here is good, and convenient to have that. If you need some nights/stays to get to Plat, this is a cheap hotel to do it and worth it since it's inexpensive.
I just booked in January for 2k points a right. Great deal to start re qualification in the new year!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:49 am

Just finishing up a 3 night stay here. I really like this hotel, definitely one of the best 4 points I have stayed at. Upgraded to executive king (reward booking) and nice quiet large room. Staff are friendly and very helpful. Breakfast is large and decent buffet. The hotel is connected through a gate to Oviedo mall with a large supermarket at the point of entry. We didn't look around the immediate area of the hotel but there isn't much here. However, cabs are very easy and cheap we used them to get all over the city. Made use of Tappsi when necessary which works well. Never paid more than a few dollars for a ride anywhere. Our first day we took a city tour through zooming.co which was excellent and gave a great overview of the city, the cable car, Communa 13 etc with a superb guide. The next day we made our own way to the Modern Art Museum and then to the Museum of Memory (both highly recommended). Two great meals at Carmen and Oci (Carmen very good) in Poblado (10-15 mins by cab, there is a lot of traffic at times).
Highly recommend both the hotel and Medellin - a cool, fascinating and great city.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
For anyone who has stayed here - did you head to the Rio Sur mall? It seems you can cut through the mall that is attached to get there - just curious. Supposed to meet some friends there after landing a bit on the late side and would rather avoid the streets if possible at night...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by uscjeff
For anyone who has stayed here - did you head to the Rio Sur mall? It seems you can cut through the mall that is attached to get there - just curious. Supposed to meet some friends there after landing a bit on the late side and would rather avoid the streets if possible at night...
The mall attached to the hotel is the Oviedo mall. Not sure about how this connects to RIo Sur. The gate to Oviedo is locked at certain times (i forget when but I think later evenings). I would have zero concerns in being on the streets though.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:18 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
How good is the breakfast?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.