Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by vrundmc
...I guess I am just venting, but using valuable Starpoints for 2 rooms should include benefits for BOTH rooms.
The SPG program is for the MEMBER's benefit and not everyone they know. They have recently added the ability to get credit for additional rooms, so you just might see the change you seek sometime down the road.

Now, for your particular situation, sometimes, if you ask real nicely, the FDC just might give you extra breakfast coupons. Some properties are very generous accommodating requests.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Medved
This is not standard rate but a promo. Westin Bayshore standard rates (as majority North American hotels) never include breakfast. Full buffet breakfast is $30 a head there.
But I can use my points as instant awards to pay incidentals. That's ok though? Points are treated as cash there. Why not for promo rates?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:18 am

Platinum Breakfast Amenity

Originally Posted by vrundmc
But I can use my points as instant awards to pay incidentals. That's ok though? Points are treated as cash there. Why not for promo rates?

I noticed in the other platinum breakfast thread you posted it was continental breakfast and add hot items for $10. As that post was from April/12 is that still the case?

Where do they have the breakfasts?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any recent experiences with SNA awards here? I don't want to waste a SNA upgrade into a junior suite or some other quasi-suite room I would be getting as a Plat - do they upgrade SNA's into the larger suites with nice views?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Had a 2 night stay before a cruise 2 weeks ago. Both nights were award nights ( 1 points and 1 free weekend night) so booked into the basic room. Upgraded to a Tower Room with Harbor View. The hotel was full as there were a number of high school graduations going on.

Breakfast amenity was the cold buffet items in the restaurant, which were more than adequate and included smoked salmon, a variety of cheeses and my favourite Birtcher Muesli so we were very content.

The location was superb and the facilities excellent. The biggest positive, from my perspective, at least, was that all of the staff seem particularly welcoming, wherever we encountered them, to a degree that I have yet to experience outside of Asia, certainly better than any N American or European Westin I have come across. I don't frequent FS or the RC ( or even St Regis for that matter) so those are not in my comparisons but it was certainly one of the better hotels I have stayed at in N America.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:46 pm

Platinum going to Bayshore on Tuesday with family. I got a standard room with points and my suite night award just confirmed (junior suite). I really want a view of the fireworks in Coal Harbour for Canada Day, so have a few questions:

- I understand the junior suites are not in the tower, but do they have a harbor view?
- I see there are multiple types of suites: lanai, tower (regular & deluxe), executive and international. Does anyone know which are in the tower (in addition to the one called tower, of course) and which have views of the harbor?
- Does anyone know whether I can expect to be upgraded to a nicer suite if I already am in the junior suite based on a suite night award (original booking being regular room with points)?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by acousticbiker
Platinum going to Bayshore on Tuesday with family. I got a standard room with points and my suite night award just confirmed (junior suite). I really want a view of the fireworks in Coal Harbour for Canada Day, so have a few questions:

- I understand the junior suites are not in the tower, but do they have a harbor view?
- I see there are multiple types of suites: lanai, tower (regular & deluxe), executive and international. Does anyone know which are in the tower (in addition to the one called tower, of course) and which have views of the harbor?
- Does anyone know whether I can expect to be upgraded to a nicer suite if I already am in the junior suite based on a suite night award (original booking being regular room with points)?
General rules are once upgraded using SNA, no further upgrades are supposed to be applied (YMMV). Also, not all suites at the property are part of the upgrade pool, SNA or otherwise. Upgrade pool may not include all the rooms in the same category (capacity controls).

You might try calling the property (talk with the front desk if you can, reservations may not be onsite and know the particulars) before arrival, explain you are travelling with little kids, and if they could possibly block you into a room with a view of the fireworks. These are usually premium rooms during such events and may not be available for upgrades. Ask again once you arrive to see if anything might have opened up. They may have set up a special viewing area as well.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there still a club lounge here? What are the benefits of premium rooms?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is there still a club lounge here?
Was there ever one? We've stayed there for years and don't recall ever seeing one.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What are the benefits of premium rooms?
What kind of benefits are you looking for?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
This is one of my favourite Starwood hotels .I have stayed here many times, including for my wedding.
The location is fantastic. You can walk to Stanley Park, or to downtown via the seawall.
I have always been upgraded to a beautiful room with a view of the harbour and mountains. On numerous occasions I have been upgraded to a suite if travelling with my children.
The Platinum breakfast is a huge buffet with made to order eggs, waffles, pancakes, BC smoked salmon and anything you could ever want. The restaurant staff are really friendly and efficient.
The only negative is that check in is always very slow, which is somewhat annoying when arriving after a long flight.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Just wrapped up a long weekend stay here. All around, a really nice place. We stayed at the Westin Grand about a year ago. The room at the Grand was nicer, but I think the Bayshore wins on most other points. As others have mentioned, location is fantastic as is the breakfast buffet. Full spread with no upcharge for hot items. Kids under 5 are free, but we weren't charged for our 5 year old (we declared her age and were told it was close enough). The staff, from check-in to valet, to the restaurant are about the nicest people you could imagine.

Didn't get an upgrade, but the hotel was full as there was an Amway conference in town. The egg chef, who was pretty fantastic, also mentioned that the Calgary Flames were staying prior to their game with the Canucks Saturday night.

Would definitely choose this property again! I need to work on plane tickets to YVR instead of SEA next time. The drive always takes longer than I think it should...
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by canalskater
The Platinum breakfast is a huge buffet with made to order eggs, waffles, pancakes, BC smoked salmon and anything you could ever want.
When did that change? Except for one time (out of eleven), the Platinum breakfast has always been just the cold stuff.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When did that change? Except for one time (out of eleven), the Platinum breakfast has always been just the cold stuff.
Not sure when things changed, but when I checked in Friday night and chose breakfast as my amenity, the FD agent crossed out "continental" and wrote "full" on my Platinum Breakfast card. Seems like it must be the standard now as we had a different waitress each morning and once they saw that we had a card, they just told us to help ourselves to the buffet.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
I just had a night at the Westin Bayshore last week. It is a nice property in a great location, but as has been documented, their treatment of Platinums can be lacking, and there were some other issues.

On this visit, my SNA cleared 5 days out. I requested an early check-in, and it was denied, which was disappointing as there was availability for all categories of suite showing up as available right through until midnight the night before check-in as well as the night after check-in.

When we were finally able to check in at 4pm, I sought to confirm a 4pm checkout for the following day. This was denied, and I was told to check back in the morning. In the morning, I phoned again to confirm a 4pm late checkout, and was still denied. 2pm was the best they could do, as there was an incoming guest. This was inconvenient, so I reached out to the Platinum Concierge, and they spoke with the property. The property didn't budge, and the Platinum Concierge said he was shocked by this and suggested I open a complaint file with corporate, which I did (for the first time ever BTW). I was told I should hear back within 48 hours. A week later, and still nothing.

Another issue - we had a group lunch at the main restaurant (H2). When we arrived at the restaurant, I asked if there was an SPG member discount on food and was told that food was discounted 20%. When I was presented with the bill at the end of the meal, I enquired about the discount, and was told that there wasn't one...! And then to cap it off, I noticed after paying that we had been overcharged by as much as $10 for at least 5 items on the bill (eg. steak was listed on menu at $28, but we were charged $38). And SPG points for the food still haven't posted.

Other comments - the bell team must be significantly understaffed at this property. When we arrived at the property at 1pm to check-in, we left our bags with the bell team. After finally checking in, the check-in agent declined my baggage claim tag and told be to go directly to the bell team. After waiting for 15 minutes, I gave up in vain, and went back to the same check-in agent, handed my claim tag, and just said "please have my bags delivered to my room". Similar challenges at checkout.

On the positive, the Platinum breakfast amenity is a full hot buffet, and it was very good. The pool is lovely, and the location with access to the sea wall, the Aquarium and Stanley Park is fantastic. Bikes are available on a first-come, first-served basis, which is another nice touch.

For anyone wondering about reaching this property via SkyTrain from the airport, it is a 1.4km walk from the Vancouver City Centre or Waterfront stops. Not a deal-breaker for us, but with heavy suitcases, strollers, or on a rainy day, it would not be so pleasant. A better choice would be a taxi directly from the airport ($36, vs $8 per person for the Skytrain).

Apparently the new manager for this property (as of Feb 2017) came from the St. Regis Tianjin. Hopefully he can address some of these issues...
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
How did you know, by just looking at the website, that all of those suites you supposedly saw were going to be VACANT, CLEAN, and INSPECTED and ready for occupancy when you wanted to check in? I need access to that site? As far as I know, the website only shows rooms that will be vacant on that day, not whether or not it is available for early check in, whether someone has a late check out, whether a number of the rooms are vacant, but dropped from HK services. How many of those vacant rooms are pre-blocked and marked "do not move" for all sorts of reasons? Until a room is actually checked in, it is still "vacant"...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.