Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I stayed there 2 weeks ago. It has an older feel to it. My room was one of the corner windowed rooms. It definitely hasn't been renovated enough. It had a standard TV inside a console that you couldn't see straight on from the bed. Pretty generic furniture. It just seemed tired.
I stayed at the Westin Grand back in May, so I have a good comparison between the two. The rooms in the Grand are far superior. But, the location of the Bayshore can't be beat. Yes, it's kind of out of the way from downtown, but being right on the harbor and next door to Stanley Park is very nice. They do have a comp. shuttle van that will take you down to Robson and Granville Sts, where the Bay and the Pacific Centre Mall are.

If I had to stay again in Vancouver and choose between the two, I think I'll pick the Westin Grand. Unless, the Bayshore renovates the rooms...
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:49 am

Programs: SPG: Platinum
What do they charge for parking and HS internet?

It's to bad there is no lounge or free breakfast.

Pete S
Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium , National Car Emerald Club Exec Elite, AC 50K Elite
The rooms in the main building were renovated a few years back (as opposed to the tower rooms being commented on) they´re not what one would call cutting edge. This property may not have the newest style of rooms but its far from a dump and you know what they say about location location location.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
They offer the HSIA + North America calling package for 16 CAD, which I think is a decent deal if you have to call back to the US.

There is now a full Starbucks in the lobby, although I liked StanleyPerks a bit better. There are a lot of great little breakfast spots within 1-2 blocks of the hotel.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:32 pm

Wink Comments on the Westin Bayshore?

The Vancouver Westin Bayshore - Got the hotel through priceline for $86 a night. I got a decent deal I think but I'm curious if there are any certain types of rooms I should request? Any room numbers with a good view? Any suggestions about restaurants and nearby attractions?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 17, 2009 at 3:37 pm Reason: Moved into master thread
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed here twice recently- both times at a very good prepaid rate of $139 CAD per night.
On my first stay- I was upgraded to the SPG floor (top floor number 9) in the main building. The room was recently rennovated, and had a little step out balcony. The view was over the park and also looked onto the tower. The rennovations are nice- the hotel used to be quite dated, and now is very modern.
On my second stay- I was upgraded to the tower with a newly rennovated room looking directly onto the park. This room had a lot more light, and was very spacious. I would recommend the tower if you can get a rennovated room- it is very nice. One point to note- in both rooms I stayed in there are only showers, no tubs- which is fine for me but might surprise some travellers.
I had breakfast in the restaurant, and it was a buffet for I believe $26- service was very good- with OJ, coffee, etc filled immediately.
I would say that since the rennovation, this is one of the better hotels in Vancouver in terms of room quality.
I had one suit drycleaned- had to call twice to have it picked up, but it was done within five hours with no express charge which I appreciate.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:59 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I recently spent a few nights in this hotel on a business trip and was generally happy with it, though its renovations still seem to be ongoing. I was in a Tower room, and the room itself was fairly fresh and seemed recently renovated, but the lobby level in the Towers building was extremely tired-looking, one of the saddest public spaces I've seen in a Westin. Fortunately, there's not much reason to see or spend time in that space, and a sign said it was set to be renovated--the main lobby, in the front building, by contrast, is very sharp and modern.

To update a point from earlier in this forum, there are actually two pools at the Bayshore, one indoor and one outdoor. Didn't take a close look at either one. Good-sized gym. No complaints with the service. Breakfast was not included as a plat but the breakfast buffet at the restaurant was quite good but pricey (in the C$30-35 range, I think).
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is all the rennovations should be completed by October.
I am sure they want the hotel looking great for the Olympics in February.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Did a one night stay this weekend. Was given an "upgraded" harbor/marina view on the 9th Fl in the main building. We did inquire on the suite availability; was told that suite with no view were available. Decided to take the view (should of ask to see both rooms) on the 9th Floor. The room was comfortable and the view was great. However, we can hear doors banging when people are entering/leaving their rooms. And if we have the sliding window opened, flies would come in.

Self parking was $26 CAD/while valet was $30 CAD. But, there is a shortage of valet attendants so we self parked. Internet was $14.95 per day.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Premier
What? The power will be out?

After exhaustive research on where to stay in Vancouver, I settle on the Westin Bayshore. I make a same-day pre-paid reservation on SPG.COM and get a great $145.00 rate.

When I arrive at the hotel around 4:30pm, I am told that due to citywide construction (Olympic preparations) the power in the hotel will be shut down between 11:00pm and 6:00pm. They offered me two glowsticks and a flashlight.

Normally this wouldn't have been an issue (I would have slept right through the event), but my family and I were scheduled to leave on a 6:00am international flight out of Vancouver -- we would be getting up at 3:30am.

I explained to the desk agent that this was completely unacceptable as they knew - prior to my making my reservation - that the power would be out. She then informed me that I was upgraded to the 16th floor - but I respectfully declined and requested a low floor because I did not want to hoof it down the 16 flights of stairs with our luggage at 3:45 in the AM.

The MOD called me (at my request) and offered a 50% rate reduction. At the time I thought this would be adequate to help offset the inconveniences.

Fast forward to 3:30am when my phone alarm goes off. We have to get ready and get our 7 year old son up and dressed - with a flashlight glowsticks that were barely glowing from the night before. I then carry our luggage down 8 flights of stairs (through a side fire exit) to the valet area. When I try to return to my room via the same exit, I find that it is exit-only and cannot be opened from the outside. I go back to the lobby and try to find another stairwell. The only problem is that they are not identifiable nor are they labeled with signage in any way. When I finally find someone to direct me (the hotel lobby is a very desolate place at 4:00am), I get sent up the wrong tower and have to traverse back to the other side and finally to my room.

At this point I am about to have a coronary (yes, I should be in better shape), but the wife and kid are waiting for me in the room and we are now 15-20 behind schedule.

We finally get downstairs and the chap who brought my car up from valet is nowhere to be found. The car is there, but my keys are not. The finally track him down 10 minutes later with my keys. At this point I am about to hit the wall because we are 20-30 mintutes behind schedule an I cannot miss my flight. When getting up at 3:30am you don't leave alot of time for mishaps.

A long story short (too late), we make our flight by 15 minutes.

In the end, the GM called me for a follow-up as I sent SPG a note detailing the stay and requesting that I get reimbursed for the room rate that I did pay. The GM was very apologetic and is looking into the situation and will "get back to me in a week or so" - as he is going on vacation. I told him to remember to bring glowsticks with him.

In retrospect I should have changed hotels at check-in -- but we were tired and needed to get to the aquarium before it closed. My beef with the hotel is that they should have either called, emailed or let me know in some fashion that this would be happening during my stay. They knew from the city days before that the power would be out.

Stay tuned for the resolution.

What do you think is adequate compensation? Is 50% off fair and I should just move on?

PS. I have been a SPG Platinum member five years.

Last edited by SNA 1Ker; Jul 12, 2009 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SNA 1Ker
I told him to remember to bring glowsticks with him.
That is classic!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Any recent experiences here?

And does anyone know if they have a lounge with free breakfast?

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
does anyone know if they have a lounge with free breakfast?
They do not have a lounge, and they do not offer free breakfast.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:49 am

I stayed here last week for 3 nights. very nice hotel. when in Vancouver i prefer to stay at the Pacific Rim ( Fairmont property) or Westin Bayshore if there is a decent promotion like the current one. its a nice property. location is excellent. staff are always happy, smiling and very helpful. i got a very large suite in the main building. its basically 2 connected rooms. one room is used as living room and the other is used as bed room. 2 full baths. large balcony in the living room side. best of all is the view. very expensive coal harbor and stanley park view from both rooms. there is a small gym and an ok indoor heated pool. there is a very large outdoor pool as well. I ate at the restaurant seawall. I thought the food was lousy. its a nice property with solid management and great staff.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:15 am

I stayed here, at the tail end on February but only for one night. I was Gold at the time.

I remember the lobby being immense. No lounge to speak of. There's a restaurant on the ground floor which I did not eat at and the internet was not free (but that's a given). There is also a spa that I saw quite a few people entering and exiting.

I did not get any type of room upgrade but I did have a great view of the harbour. The staff was nice, though I did not have to intereact with them that much.

It is not as close to downtown Vancouver as the Westin Grand or Sheraton Wall, but the walk there is very pleasant (down W. Georgia st.). You are right near Stanley Park. The location to head up to Cypress is perfect if you have a car. There are a lot of restaurants and cafés nearby.

In all, pretty nice, though I prefer the Westin Grand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.