Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W New Orleans French Quarter [Master Thread]

W New Orleans French Quarter [Master Thread]

Old Jun 26, 15, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Victim, Shangri-La GC Diamond, CX MP DM, EK Gold
Arrow W New Orleans French Quarter [Master Thread]

Was on a 3 or 4 night FHR booking, ran away after the first night.

- No SPG Plat check-in line.

- Room not ready on arrival which was a reasonable time (4pm) and ETA had been indicated on reservation

- Check-in people had no idea what the FHR package included

- When room was finally allocated they screwed up my Keyless check-in. The SPG App told me my key had been revoked and I need to see front desk

- Tiny rooms. But fair enough: it's sort of an old heritage building. Kind of like the old parts of Nuremberg or Rome.

- Telephone in-op on arrival. Maintenance had to replace it.

- No wired internet. All LAN sockets are dead. WiFi only is offered and a 3 device limit is enforced, oldest device always gets kicked off.

- At dinner, trying to get seated at a very quiet SoBou it took us about ten minutes to get the attention of a host. Food was rubbish.

- The nail in the coffin was the next morning: an attempt to take breakfast at SoBou:

Again it takes 10 minutes of standing around to find someone to stop chatting with their mates back in the kitchen and do their job (front of house!!). Get to the table. Ask for a cappuccino and a pot of coffee. Am told we have run out of normal espresso and only have decaf beans.

Its a W. Whatever, whenever!

Is "real" coffee at breakfast too far outside the realm of possibilities?

I would think it is reasonable to expect them to

- Monitor and manage their stock.

- Grab 20 bucks petty cash from the office, run to Starbucks or whatever and get some beans behind the scenes (hey, that rhymed!)

I got the usual post-stay feedback form from them and brought all this up. Zero follow-up. I guess that shows that there's no active management.

Left immediately. Pulled out my phone and saw SPG Hot Escapes at the Le Meridien New Orleans on Poydras (Previously was a W, too).

Spent the rest of the stay there and was quite impressed. If I were to go to NOLA again I would go to the Le Meridien.

Last edited by forumpersona999; Jun 26, 15 at 9:43 pm
Old Jun 26, 15, 4:37 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, IC RA, Hyatt DM, HH DM
Seems like you're on an extremely unlucky streak?

Few things:
Room size - should've known at the time of booking
Restaurant - should've asked for a better seat on your 2nd visit
Check-In - no plat line? or no gold/plat line?

Phone and table service is inexcusable though.
Old Jun 26, 15, 4:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Reading the OP's post, I kept wondering which W property this was about.

Based on final sentence, I assume this is about the W New Orleans - French Quarter on Chartres Street.
Old Jun 26, 15, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I might avoid "this place" if I knew what it was.
Old Jun 26, 15, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I might avoid "this place" if I knew what it was.
Probably the W French Quarter.

So to be clear, OP, what property?
Old Jun 26, 15, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
Probably the W French Quarter.

So to be clear, OP, what property?
Definitely W FQ. Their restaurant is SoBou. And yes, the service their sucks big time. Not unheard of to wait 10-20 minutes to be recognized. Food and drinks average and overpriced.
Old Jun 26, 15, 7:34 pm
Suspended

This is widely regarded as one of the weaker Ws in the country. Sounds like your expectations were a bit high, no?
Old Jun 26, 15, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I read the title and all I could think was "Isn't the whole W brand a travesty?"
Old Jun 26, 15, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Victim, Shangri-La GC Diamond, CX MP DM, EK Gold
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
This is widely regarded as one of the weaker Ws in the country. Sounds like your expectations were a bit high, no?
SPG Keyless, a working phone and real coffee for breakfast aren't high expectations for a W....
Old Jun 26, 15, 10:05 pm

Programs: TWA Platinum Ambassador, Eastern Stratosphere, NWA Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I read the title and all I could think was "Isn't the whole W brand a travesty?"
That's a plus. It means that there is an spg brand with some consistency.
Old Apr 23, 16, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier Elite Marriott Gold for life.
I am going to New Orleans in July. I have considered the W. This thread is making me think twice. Are there any other opinions on this property?
Old Apr 25, 16, 12:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Plusses:
  • Location. You are right in the middle of French Quarters. Easily walkable to restaurants/bars/shops nearby.
  • Boutique-style hotel setting. Very quaint.
  • The front desk personnel are quite personable and friendly.
  • $0.75 martinis at lunch at SoBou with meal purchase. Happy hour pricing for food and drinks.
  • Nice outdoor pool and seating area.

Minuses
  • Upgrades are limited. The deluxe rooms are decent sized.
  • Hit and miss service at SoBou. There are some awesome bartenders, but servers are more variable.
  • Because it is in the French Quarters, there is a potential for noise due to crowd.
Old May 16, 16, 3:40 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
I'm staying at W French Quarter this week (of 5/16/16) for some meetings and to do some work. I noted a noon arrival, but there were no rooms ready when I arrived at 1:30. Went across street for lunch and waited in courtyard until 3. Got a nice sized, accessible room on the 5th floor.

Much of the work I plan requires internet. Just logged in and got 1.47 mbps down and 4.75 mbps up. Very slow. I may end up picking up a hotspot of my own to ensure I can get the access I need.
Old Nov 30, 19, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier Elite Marriott Gold for life.
This is my second stay here, and compared to the first, this property has seemed to slip. I asked about an upgrade to a balcony room which I had pulled up on their app and was available the two days I was there. The FD lady told me they were sold out. This kinda crap just aggravates me to begin with. I would rather her just tell me too bad were not giving you an upgrade instead of lying to me. Breakfast for Elites is only the yogurt and juice on the menu which has a $12 value, but they will not let you get something different and pay the upcharge. I was told I had to checkout at 12, I told them I was checking out at 4. I was told that was not possible. At this point I flatly told them I do not need your permission for a 4pm checkout. Nothing said after that.

It really is too bad, as this is a very nice property. Great heated pool (small), superb bar and bartenders with a great lunch and happy hour, and the location cannot be beat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: