Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Leaving Marriott July, 2019) Hotel Talisa, Vail Luxury Coll [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Leaving Marriott July, 2019) Hotel Talisa, Vail Luxury Coll [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I know Well, it's not new to MAR either since MAR bought SPG in '16 I'm assuming they timed the release for the completion of the renovations. I stayed at the property a # of times during ski season when it was still Cascades; would be interested in checking it out now that it's Luxury Coll.

Cheers.
It is a vast improvement over Cascade as all areas are renovated and news. Most hardware remain the same, however, the layout is still a bit awkward and hot tub is still way too small. Platinum breakfasts is also odd. You receive free continental breakfasts but have to pay taxes as well as mandatory service charge.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by TerryK
It is a vast improvement over Cascade as all areas are renovated and new. Most hardware remain the same, however, the layout is still a bit awkward and hot tub is still way too small. Platinum breakfasts is also odd. You receive free continental breakfasts but have to pay taxes as well as mandatory service charge.
Thanks for the update.

Cheers.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the update.

Cheers.
This appears to be an excellent choice in addition to Beaver Creek for our upcoming January ski trip in Colorado.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
Just stayed at Hotel Talisa in Vail over the Holidays. Overall an amazing value at 200k points for 5 nights instead of the $7k it would have cost. Plat member got $70 towards breakfast, but hotel sold out so no chance of upgrade. Its a very nice, clean, and sharp but they still need to polish some of the service I would expect from a luxury collection hotel. Very crowded over holidays and some of the amenities were more of a hassle than relaxing. Got my resort fee and parking fee refunded as well.
Full details of my stay here.
http://truptravels.com/2019/01/02/re...n-by-marriott/
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by truptravels
Just stayed at Hotel Talisa in Vail over the Holidays. Overall an amazing value at 200k points for 5 nights instead of the $7k it would have cost. Plat member got $70 towards breakfast, but hotel sold out so no chance of upgrade. Its a very nice, clean, and sharp but they still need to polish some of the service I would expect from a luxury collection hotel. Very crowded over holidays and some of the amenities were more of a hassle than relaxing. Got my resort fee and parking fee refunded as well.
Full details of my stay here.
http://truptravels.com/2019/01/02/re...n-by-marriott/
Thanks for the report. Sounds like there are some serious service issues still to be worked out. I'm hopeful they will be a little bit more polished by the time I visit next month.

Also of note: It appears Talisa has moved to Category 7. Resort fee has also increased to $42 per day, plus tax.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Resort fee has also increased to $42 per day, plus tax.
The resort fee is now $50 per day. I will be curious to see if I am charged the $38 per day fee that was in place when I made my booking.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:20 pm

The place is significantly improved and upgraded from what it was before. The room I was in had a really large shower instead of a soaking tub. There are a lot of custom room choices here. Front desk is very impressive. Anyone who can't figure out where to go when they walk in the front door is pretty unaware. They've placed the lounge front-and-center looking out onto Gore Creek as you enter the front door. It's a very nice sense of arrival.

Interior hallways have been majorly upgraded, and needed it. The always themselves are still a maze are you are the mouse and you're trying to find the cheese somewhere, with all the twists and turns. Not the easiest to navigate. But really a huge step up from what Vail Cascade was before to what Hotel Talisa is now.

They have their own spa and fitness center now so you don't have to go to the adjoining Aria spa and gym, but if you want to they are happy to give you a free pass. Its (Aria) an AMAZINGLY huge gym, well worth the 5 min walk. you don't even have to go outside. On the way you'll walk right past the Cascade movie theater playing first-run movies and selling popcorn :-)

Outdoor creekside pool and hot tubs with fire pits are really nice. Biggest downside is location on the least.popular and least interesting side of Vail's front side. Easy bus ride free from town bus or hotel shuttle to the main 2 neighborhoods are in Vail where people who picture Vail wood probably want to go for dining and shopping...lionshead and vail village. I prefer this as a starwood/marriott property over Westin Beaver Creek.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
......I prefer this as a starwood/marriott property over Westin Beaver Creek.
Westin is a much better property while Talisa wins on location. BTW, there is no Westin Beaver Creek. There is a Westin Riverfront in Avon which is about 3 miles from Beaver Creek ski area. They used to name it Westin Riverfront at Beaver Creek Mountain but changed it to just Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa. I suspect someone complained about the misleading old name.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The resort fee is now $50 per day. I will be curious to see if I am charged the $38 per day fee that was in place when I made my booking.
If you've got documentation they should honor it.

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
The place is significantly improved and upgraded from what it was before. The room I was in had a really large shower instead of a soaking tub. There are a lot of custom room choices here. Front desk is very impressive. Anyone who can't figure out where to go when they walk in the front door is pretty unaware. They've placed the lounge front-and-center looking out onto Gore Creek as you enter the front door. It's a very nice sense of arrival.

Interior hallways have been majorly upgraded, and needed it. The always themselves are still a maze are you are the mouse and you're trying to find the cheese somewhere, with all the twists and turns. Not the easiest to navigate. But really a huge step up from what Vail Cascade was before to what Hotel Talisa is now.

They have their own spa and fitness center now so you don't have to go to the adjoining Aria spa and gym, but if you want to they are happy to give you a free pass. Its (Aria) an AMAZINGLY huge gym, well worth the 5 min walk. you don't even have to go outside. On the way you'll walk right past the Cascade movie theater playing first-run movies and selling popcorn :-)

Outdoor creekside pool and hot tubs with fire pits are really nice. Biggest downside is location on the least.popular and least interesting side of Vail's front side. Easy bus ride free from town bus or hotel shuttle to the main 2 neighborhoods are in Vail where people who picture Vail wood probably want to go for dining and shopping...lionshead and vail village. I prefer this as a starwood/marriott property over Westin Beaver Creek.
Thanks for the update - and the memory of going by the movie theater to get to the excellent gym!

Cheers.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am happy to report that I was charged $38 per day based on my reservation. I didn't need to argue as system was setup to charge $38. ^ No alternative amenity was provided however.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
...nevermind...

Last edited by asf-07; Jun 28, 2019 at 11:42 am
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
For future reference, on my stay this week, non-peak week with rooms free in higher categories than the one booked, no upgrade was offered the night we arrived. To their credit they said to check back the following day, when they were able to upgrade us one category. Also, for those intending to use the Platinum breakfast benefit, they have a kind of strange policy that charges you tax and full 15% gratuity on the full regular price of the breakfast ($24 pp). The extra charges add up to about $8 per person per day. I've not seen anything like this at any other Starwood properties (mandatory tip on full value of the breakfast).

The property itself has potential, but at the moment is dealing with a host of issues. We have been in 4 different rooms and all had different components broken. Some of the elevators don't work, the spa and fitness room are not yet open, etc. It is a good value on points but I would not pay market rates for this property yet -- maybe next year after they straighten all of this out.
How can they make you pay sales tax on a free breakfast? I wonder if the hotel is just keeping the money.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How can they make you pay sales tax on a free breakfast? I wonder if the hotel is just keeping the money.
I had a free breakfast ($16 charge less a $16 credit) at a suburban Denver DoubleTree this past week with no Colorado sales tax charged.

Might be worth an inquiry to the Colorado Department of Revenue.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talisa collected taxes for 2017-18 ski season but no longer do so for 2018-19 season.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:32 am

How can they make you pay sales tax on a free breakfast?
Maybe the same way you have to pay taxes when you win a car on the Price Is Right? Though anything resembling logic goes out the window when applied to taxation. Glad this isn’t widespread practice, that’s for sure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.