Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale at Cypress Creek [Master Thread]

Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale at Cypress Creek [Master Thread]

Old Sep 14, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat , AAdvantage Plat
Stay Away !!!!

I was there this week and my advice is : stay away !!!.
By luck it was just one night stay only.
I switched rooms because the non smoking room assigned to me had more smoke smell than the airport's smoking lounges .
The room was not well clean. Stains in the carpet . There was moisture in the walls. Only one TV in the room. Disagreeable smell. Only 2 of 4 elevators, could be used. The noise of the train.
The worst hotel I have ever stayed .
Regards.
Carlos
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy,IHG Rewards, Aeroplan
Renovated Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek in Fort Lauderdale

Hi!

From what I could read on another forum, it seems that the renovations at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek have led to an improved customer experience.

Has anyone visited this place recently? Is this a hotel you would recommend for a family stay?

Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Checking in tomorrow.

Westin is sold out (I assume a bunch of their rooms are blocked for their renovation). I'm a bit hesitant to stay at the Sheraton due to what I've read here. But, it being recently renovated, should provide me with a clean experience - if nothing else. And I didn't feel like staying all the way out in Plantation as Cypress is that much closer to where I need to be.

I'll advise next week. Wish me luck!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:14 pm
Suspended

this place needed renovation for the longest time.

Even with that Unless they Sound-Proofed All the windows and walls, Id stay away. I doubt they were able to get the freight trains that run by the place every night (and a few of them at that) at all hours Stopped.

Nothing worse then feeling at 2 am as if a freight train is running right thru your room!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:49 pm

So Good luck Belynch!

Will wait to read from you.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
So here's the skinny on the Sheraton Suites post renovation.

Actually, the renovation isn't completed, they're finishing with the guest rooms on the second floor in the next week or two. And I have no idea if they will be updating the common areas.

I'm going to write this in comparison to the Westin FLL, which has been my usual domicile in So Fl.

Parking is free (stupid Westin now charges $10), but its not ample. They also seem to have a security problem as there's glass shards everywhere in the parking lot. At least they could sweep these up. But, it was a nice reminder to remove all valuables from the rental car.

Location is right near 95. Yes, its near the train tracks, but we never heard the train. At check-in I asked to be on the opposite side of the tracks and my request was granted. I never heard any traffic from the executive airport down the road. There's a lot more around this hotel then there at the Westin.

Lobby is ugly in a weird way. There's a lot of marble and a lot of cheap tile. I can't even describe it. Perhaps its Luxury Collection meets La Quinta. There were almost always bellman out front, which is nice, and not always expected at a Sheraton.

The elevators were slow, but not terrible as others have made a big point of complaining about in reviews of the property.

The security of the hotel isn't great. We returned Saturday night around 11pm to see 5 cop cars out front. Not sure what was going on, but I'm guessing it wasn't something I wanted to know about. And, judging by the "feel" of the hotel, I think this is a common occurance. I'd think twice about staying here if I was a single female.

Didn't experience the F+B. But there is a restaurant and a bar as well as room service.

The rooms were definitely recently renovated and it was one of the cleanest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. ^ With the exception of the glasses in the bathroom smelling like Windex everything was in working order and really nice. Back when I worked for Hyatt we had a room standard of "no signs of previous occupancy" and this room definitely passed that test with flying colors at first glance.

The bed was a Sweet Sleeper, although the mattress was a bit "soft" in some parts. I slept well though. Two plasma TV's, nice furniture. Bliss products in the bathrooms. Starbucks coffee for the in-room machine.

The only criticism I had was they kind of half-as*ed the renovations. While the furniture is all shiny and new, they could have taken the time to clean up the walls and some of the other things that show how old the structure is. It looked like someone was chipping golf balls against the wall in the bedroom. It was kind of weird. Oh, that and the water heater took a while to "kick in". But, I'm used to letting my shower warm up for a couple minutes before getting in.

Also, the wi-fi ($10/day) sucked in my room. I hate, hate, hate, that hotels don't have ethernet cables to supplement their weak wi-fi. And the power strip which is built into the desk in the "other" room was designed by someone who has never plugged anything in before. Its set about 1/4" down into the desk so if you have an oversized plug (i.e. a laptop or cell phone adaptor) it renders the power strip useless.

While it might be loud in the atrium, the noise doesn't penetrate into the bedroom. Very functional, quiet and clean rooms - which is all I need.

Staff interactions were limited to checking in and checking out.

I'd definitely stay here again for 129/night, although I'll give the Westin another go after they complete the renovations. You just have to deal with the Westin nickel and diming you on everything, which is a pet peeve of mine. I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt a "resort fee*" when they're done with the renovation.

The hotel is certainly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be on here (but I could see it being pretty horrendous pre-renovation).

*the Westin is far from a resort. But, if they can squeeze an extra nickel out of you, they'll probably try.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:55 pm

Thanks for the update, belynch.

I guess this hotel has now become more attractive for at least a few of us.

Regards,

Voyageur
Old May 1, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum
FLL Thread Continued: Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale

Has anyone stayed here before, and if so, any commentary? I did a search but could not find anything on it.
Old May 2, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Just stayed this week

Renovation of all rooms is now complete, per Front Desk. Was very pleasantly surprised at the renovation. The lobby and atrium have not been renovated. Looks much like it probably did 15 years ago with a tropical theme and palm trees growing up through the 8 floors of the atrium. To make it all complete, they really need to freshen up the lobby, but as it is it is not a major negative.

But when you enter the rooms, you immediately move into the 21st century. Sleek dark wood furniture with blue and white accents on the upholstered pieces. Nice new vanity in the bath with the bowed shower curtain that began with Westin some years back. Very nice redo on the rooms.

Bathrooms are very small - but the 2 room suite makes up for the small bath.

Road work is present on Cypress just in front of hotel, which is expected to last into first week or 2 in May. Have to make a 2 mile detour or so to get from 95 to the hotel.

Would not hesitate to recommend it for business hotel or others not needing a beachfront location.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:09 am
iwc

This hotel is available for $60 night.

Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek is offering a special Summer Sale: 60 rooms for just $60 per night!

Rooms are limited and these rates won’t last – Book by June 10 for stays through June 30, 2009.

Limited Time Offer: 60 Rooms for $60!

Offer valid at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek only.
Offer must be booked by June 10 and stays must be completed by June 30, 2009.
Valid for stays in through June 30, 2009.
Basic room rates do not include additional per room per night charges that may be imposed or taxes and rate does not include tax or gratuity.
Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability.
A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates and additional restrictions and blackout dates may apply.
Rate plan must be given when making reservations by phone.
Offer not applicable to groups.
Advance reservations required.
Not to be combined with other offers or promotions.

Promo code: june60
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:18 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Recent Experiences?

I am doing my first official airline mileage run ever to reach Executive Platinum status with American.This marks the first time I ever took a flight with no reason to travel somewhere.I was always against mileage runs in the past
Travel is tiring enough when you want to go or have to go for work.
I needed one more RT flight to reach the 100k mark
Thought about not going however the lure of 8 systemwide Int confirmables and unlimited free domestic upgrades and a 15k mileage bonus got the better of me Total cost for trip to nowhere 240 dollars!

How is this Sheraton property for an overnight?
Thoughts?Experience anyone?

Plantation left me not desiring to return
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
Had a one night stay here back in the summer and was satisfied. I did request a quiet side room on a high floor and never was bothered by the trains. Lobby and common areas are very ugly (IMHO) and somewhat typical for south FL, but the rooms are very nice.

Large outdoor pool is nice and should be useful even this time of year since you may have some free time.

Location is very close to I-95. There are several places to eat nearby.

My plat. amenity pts never posted after my stay, so you may want to track that (if it pertains to you).
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I live about six miles south of the hotel - the area is mixed, mostly commercial (Citrix headquarters building is a block west of the hotel, for instance). The hotel was originally built as an Embassy Suites a couple of decades ago in their "Spanish Mission with an atrium" style, but it has flown the Sheraton flag for quite a number of years.

The tracks are the CSX tracks, which carry freight, Amtrak (not too many trains) and also the multi-county Tri-Rail commuter trains (IIRC they run from 05:00 to 23:00 on weekdays, less on weekends).

On the other side of the tracks, there is a smallish shopping center with a selection of restaurants (Longhorn Steakhouse, Sweet Tomatoes, Hooters, a diner, a sports bar and a so-so Italian place (that used to give iDine miles). There is also a 16-screen Regal Cinema multiplex with stadium seating. The Steak and Ale and the Bennigans that used to be within walking distance both went under when Bennigans declared Chapter 7.

IIRC parking is free, contrasting with the $10 per night that the Westin (on the opposite side of I-95) charges.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:20 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
As others have mentioned, do not stay in a room facing the tracks. Other than that the hotel is really nothing special...kind of odd really. As a Plat I am treated very well at the Westin Fort Lauderdale which is just across 95 and often has comparable rates. Much nicer looking hotel.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I am doing my first official airline mileage run ever to reach Executive Platinum status with American.This marks the first time I ever took a flight with no reason to travel somewhere.I was always against mileage runs in the past
Travel is tiring enough when you want to go or have to go for work.
I needed one more RT flight to reach the 100k mark
Thought about not going however the lure of 8 systemwide Int confirmables and unlimited free domestic upgrades and a 15k mileage bonus got the better of me Total cost for trip to nowhere 240 dollars!

How is this Sheraton property for an overnight?
Thoughts?Experience anyone?

Plantation left me not desiring to return
I had a stay here on Saturday night, was able to get a $79 AAA rate. I was in town for work and did a night at the Westin across I95 and a night here.
As I walked in I knew it was a former Embassy Suites. Free parking was nice, my suite was on the 8th fl, the SPG floor, 2 flat screen TVs. There is no lounge and breakfast would be in the main floor for PLAT members. I didn't take advantage as I had an early flight from MIA on Sunday morning. For 1 night, it was fine, the rate was great and they offered me free high speed internet.
On a mileage run, when you are trying to minimize costs, it's a very good situation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.