Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Porto, Portugal [Master Thread]

Sheraton Porto, Portugal [Master Thread]

Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
What a fantastic property.
^ Good job, nice pictures, thank you.

Did you need to ask or send an email in order to get the upgrade ?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by geilux
^ Good job, nice pictures, thank you.

Did you need to ask or send an email in order to get the upgrade ?
No. I was pre-blocked for the Suite a day in advance. ^
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
No. I was pre-blocked for the Suite a day in advance. ^
Same here back in Sept...in fact, there was only 1 other room occupied on the Club Lounge level, and we rarely saw them, so it was like having the entire place to ourselves! Which is really nice with the huge balcony off of the lounge--just chill, eat some food, and have a drink. Great property!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Bumping this thread from the dead - will be arriving at this hotel soon and was wondering if anyone knew the approximate metered taxi cost from the airport to hotel?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: * A
Originally Posted by terrysalmi
Bumping this thread from the dead - will be arriving at this hotel soon and was wondering if anyone knew the approximate metered taxi cost from the airport to hotel?
any recent updates? I have an opportunity to be at porto and any tip is appreciated
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:13 am

Cool

both times my inbound came to 18 euro and the outbound the same though the way to the airport seems to take 1.2 the time!
the taxis seem very clean and new and we had mercs a couple of times.
the checkin is slow the checkout is even slower.
so allow at least 15 mins in the middle of the day.
only 2 people working the desk.

the plat upgrade to junior suite is great.
I spoke to the front desk and you can have exec suite instead but no balcony which is nice and I like the large room. the beds are great the bathroom is very big and the bath is big.
we arrived at 9pm and the club was still open with some nibbles and some red wine and fresh juice.
the staff are very friendly.
I like the hotel but will do auto checkout next time.
also does anyone ever get their points without having to ask for them?? I did 2 stays,
a week after the stay nothing at all posted had to send in the missing stay request this is a pain to have to do that

why cant they just post stays

Last edited by tinkybelle; Sep 22, 2011 at 9:41 pm
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by noirpepper
any recent updates? I have an opportunity to be at porto and any tip is appreciated
Go down to the bar and have the chief bartender assemble for you a sampling of some of his/her best port wines. Drink slowly and savor the most delicious ports the world has to offer. Try to do this following dinner. (Only recommended for non-alcoholics).
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by maltasr
Go down to the bar and have the chief bartender assemble for you a sampling of some of his/her best port wines. Drink slowly and savor the most delicious ports the world has to offer. Try to do this following dinner. (Only recommended for non-alcoholics).
maltasr, you just made me decide that I have to go back to Porto for a few days, urgently! ^

Last edited by Koby; Mar 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Thumbs down

Very disappointed in a my most recent stay here, 2-3 January 2014.

Emailed in advance via the SPG app indicating that I would be there for a special occasion and asking that they keep me in mind for a suite. To improve my chances (so I thought), I had booked a "premium" room (15 E more expensive than the basic prepaid room).

Room rate was to include a bottle of wine.

Upon arrival, was given the most basic club floor room available -- and not even on the same floor as the lounge. Needless to say, no bottle of wine in sight.

When I went back down to the front desk, was given various stories about how (a) the hotel was full, (b) upgrading me to a club room was a huge favor, (c) the bottle of wine only went with a premium room, not a club room... etc...

I did not want to embarrass my partner by making a scene, so we left.

When we returned that evening, although the SPG app still showed suites for sale along with every other class of room available, no mention at all of changing rooms -- despite the hotel clearly being deserted.

The bottle of wine that had been sent up was the worst I've tasted in Portugal.

At checkout, when asked how things were, I repeated all of the above to the clerk. He assured me that he'd have the manager contact me...

Needless to say, no contact from the manager.

Very, very poor show.

I'll be copying all of this onto the SPG.com reviews page.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Sorry to hear about the quality of the wine : whenever I've been fortunate to have one gifted to me at a Portuguese SPG hotel, it's been lovely.

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
Upon arrival, was given the most basic club floor room available
Just curious, what other, better, category of club room were you denied ?

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
and not even on the same floor as the lounge.
Club rooms are on the 10th and 11th floors. Is this really a valid reason for complaint ?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Aside from not receiving a suite - I would have thought a club room on the same floor as the club itself might have been appropriate (12 vs. 10).

Again, the hotel was quite clearly not full.

Are all club rooms identical? Unless my memory deceives, the one I had on a previous stay 2 yrs ago seemed larger.

I am not a wine connoisseur by any means, but that stuff was lousy -- and I enjoy Spanish/Portuguese wines.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I was looking for this Hotel at SPG but can't find it anymore. Has the hotel left the chain?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fred8ab
I was looking for this Hotel at SPG but can't find it anymore. Has the hotel left the chain?
No, it is still there. I have an open reservation for April. All in good order
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:35 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Any more recent experiences at this hotel? Can platinum breakfast be taken in the restaurant or strictly in the lounge? Hotel is getting on in age - are the rooms holding up ok etc?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:03 pm

Location: Europe, Asia, South America, wherever life takes me.
Programs: SPG (...)
Originally Posted by chad75
Any more recent experiences at this hotel? Can platinum breakfast be taken in the restaurant or strictly in the lounge? Hotel is getting on in age - are the rooms holding up ok etc?
You can ask the staff about Platinum SPG members breakfast
[email protected]

Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa offers design multifunctional rooms, all with natural daylight and decorated with a mix of wood, steel and glass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.