Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Detroit Novi [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Detroit Novi [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Arrow Sheraton Detroit Novi [Master Thread]

I stayed at this hotel this weekend to knock off my 2,000 point / 3 stay bonus as well as a targeted 2,500 point bonus for this hotel in particular.

Platinum recognition was good. Amenity and upgrade offered at check-in. Lounge was closed on the weekends, but I felt the hotel offered alternative benefits that were very generous:

Two coupons for two free drinks each

Two appetizer coupons for the bar, restaurant, or room service (incl tax and gratuity)

Two breakfast coupons (incl tax and gratuity)

The room was recently renovated, although it appears that the bathroom didn't receive as much attention in the overhaul process. The shower had a few of the random hairs on the tile that always disgust me. In addition, I should note that it took three times to get a key that worked in the room...but whatever...I was in a good mood, so it wasn't that big a deal.

The breakfast was a good value (given the price), but not something I'd be happy with if I had paid full price.

All in all, this hotel was a great value at $79 a night (given the platinum amenities), and a hotel that folks in the DTW area should consider staying at over the holidays. If you're seeking the 5K AA bonus, it seems that they have some midweek availability at the $79 rate.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited Dec 22, 2003).]
Old Jan 2, 2004, 5:10 pm

I just got back from a 2 night stay at this hotel using points. I was upgraded to the preferred floor as a Platinum.
given the same coupons as above. I think the hotel used to be a Hilton, as such the preferred lounge wasn't open yet.
I really like the breakfast coupon as it can be used in the resturant or room service for a full breakfast.
Not a bad hotel and in a decent part of town.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:35 pm

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Commie:
I think the hotel used to be a Hilton, as such the preferred lounge wasn't open yet. </font>
Thought is correct. Hotel was a Hilton.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
Novi Sheraton vs. Southfield Westin

Any comments on these two when compared? Seems like about equal quality properties but Sheraton is half the *wood points? Any first hand experience regarding the area right around the properties. Staying one night with wife and kids, so some casual dining and shopping options would be helpful?
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:46 am
Suspended

stayed at both last month. got upgraded as a plat to a suite at the Westin, but preferred the Sheraton. Why the S over the W, simple keep in mind Im a Plat- The S has a lounge for cont breakfast (closed weekends so you get a coupon for breakfast downstairs), theres a computer near the front desk and another in the lounge no charge. the W has neither of these. As for places to eat The S would be better but both arent really in a downtown setting with that much of a walking choice. Also I had to keep calling SPG to get the credit for the W stay when the S posted within 2 days. Friends have had the same prob with that W also with posting of credit. The w is part of an office complex the s is stand alone. Its maybe a 10 min ride (depending on time of day) between them. also free beer at the S in the lounge. Whats better for the kids probably the S as the W is a biz hotel due to its location.
Then again if anything goes wrong theres the S Promise I didnt need to use it for anything. The 2 different nights I was there. I would go to the S over the W if I needed just 1 night. Going for more than 1 night I would switch between them just for the extra pts (500 amenity) and stay credit if it was needed.
About 1/2 hr from this area is DTW with a 4 Pts which is usually $$$ less. Never stayed at the 4 p in Warren. hope it helps
Old Aug 17, 2004, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, NWA, SPG Gold
Based strictly on location, Novi has more to do than southfield. Twelve oaks mall is 4.8 miles away from the sheraton which is a nice mall with lots of restaurants close by. Also if you have time and your wife is a big shopper I would try and go to the Somerset Collection, it is a very nice mall located in Troy. There are also lots of fun bars and restaurants in the Novi area as well. The closest shopping/mall area in Southfield is Northland which is 3.8 miles from the Westin but it is not the nicest or safest place to shop. Hope this helps a little. As you can tell I am from the area and I like to shop!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
I would agree. I was at the Westin this past Saturday night. Upgraded to a corner suite as a Plat.

The Sheraton in Novi is a little closer to the shopping districts.

Strange thing was that my original res was for 89 a night and checked last week and it had jumped to 109 a night. I checked again and found it with the AAA discount for 79 a night. I cancelled my original res and made the new one. First time I've ever seen this before. The rate was against my cc, but not prepaid.

Tubeman
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:58 pm
db1

I've also stayed at both and prefer the Sheraton. The Westin is a nice Hotel, but Southfield isn't near as nice as Novi. As someone already stated, you can feel a bit fearful walking/eating/etc. in Southfield. The Sheraton's pool isn't nearly as nice, but the service and location more than make up for it.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 6:19 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Platinum recognition was good. Amenity and upgrade offered at check-in.

One restaurant is under construction, was given a key to room on exec floor (same floor I was provided a room) that had breakfast items in am and drinks/snacks in pm. Did not have time to take advantage of either.

Free web use in "business center" which doubles as an Avis office.

Excellent comfy bed. Very quiet despite 1/4 mile from 275.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:40 pm

Noisy Night @ Sheraton Novi

This was an excerpt of a letter I wrote to the hotel about a recent stay at the aboved mention hotel, should I call or write Starwoods customer care about this as well?:

I recently stayed at the Sheraton NOVI in Michigan. I checked in Jan 21, 2005 for 2 nights. There was an incident that occurred during my stay that i wish to inform the management of the hotel and Starwoods Hotels.
On the evening of Saturaday, Jan 22, upon returning to the hotel around 12am midnight. My fiance and I was about to goto sleep. Around 1am, I was suddenly woken up by the loud noises from the room next door. The guests from that room were making very loud screaming noises and were slamming the doors very loud. This went on for more than 15-20 minutes, so I called down to the front desk, and spoke to the front desk attendant(a female). She told me that she will send someone up to check on it. I was waiting outside the hallway for the security guard(I think his name was Joe). We proceed to knock on the door and advise the guests to lower their noises.

After the security guard left, we tried going back to sleep again. But by now it was around 2:30-3am, and the guests next door were still making VERY loud noises. BTW - there were 4 people in the room making very loud noises. At this point, I called front desk for a 2nd time. This was when the front desk attendant told me that, the walls in the hotel is very thin, and I have to live with the noises!!!
This response caught me by surprise, and I told the attendant if she doesn't send someone up to quiet the room, then I will have to call the cops to do it. And the front desk attendant replied that if I don't stop calling, the cops will have ME kicked out of the hotel. Realizing that she was not sending anybody up to the other room, I went down to the front desk, and told the security guard to come up.

The security guard came up to the hallways with me, and knocked on the other room to try to quiet them down. This was when the other male guest walked out to the hallway and started screaming and threatening myself for trying to quiet them down.
All the noises in the hallway, finally got the attention of the front office manager, Tekeila Rawls, who was staying in the room across from us. She came out and tried to settle down the situation.
At this point, it was close to 3:30-4am...I requested that if she cannot quiet the other guest down, then she should change our rooms to another part of the hotel. The request was rejected. And when I was talking to Ms. Rawls and the security guard in the hallway outside my door, even they acknowledge that they could hear the screaming noises that the other guests were making at that moment!

They were willing to accept that they couldn't quiet their guests, and were unwilling to move us to another quieter room. This was 4am....What little sleep that we could get was impossible now.

What I was most disappointed in was the handling of the situation by the fron desk attendant. Threatening to kick me out of my room for complaining about noises next door.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:44 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Sorry for your disappointing experience at this property. I would definitely sent it to Hotel Customer Service via email: [email protected].

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:18 pm

Does anybody still stay here??? I just booked a room for this hotel via Priceline (I was 100% sure I'd get this property). However, I'm looking to get two double beds. Any idea of how accommodating this hotel has been to Priceline-booked guests?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by hellyea
Does anybody still stay here??? I just booked a room for this hotel via Priceline (I was 100% sure I'd get this property). However, I'm looking to get two double beds. Any idea of how accommodating this hotel has been to Priceline-booked guests?
I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past two years and never
had an issue. I think before it became a sheraton it was a Hilton. If I recall correctly, they are a franchisee which the owner is a company that has a
collection of different hotels in different areas under different flags. When their club lounge is closed on weekends, they give breakfast certs to plats - something they don`t have to do.

I don`t know how they treat priceline guests but I would imagine two double beds wouldn`t be an issue if available.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hellyea
HY. I travel to great DTW a lot for business and have stayed here kinda as a last resort if I need to go to that part of the DTW burbs. There is a Westin in Southfield, right off 696 and Evergreen/M10 area that is nice.

This hotel is decent, but a little run down, HOWEVER, it is a nice area with tons of restaurants and for me, Starbucks, right off Haggerty Road.

Althought I am not completely high on it, I will probably stay there at least one or two more PMs this year although I have other preferences in the area.

Take care, Travel Safely. BHawk.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
can anyone with recent experiences comment on this property....what is the area like????how is plat recognition????what is the breakfast like on weekdays????condition of the rooms????

i have a 3 night stay coming up in a couple of months....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.