Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:00 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by richh1833
Has anyone been to the terraces at this property? How is their buffet for dinner?
My experience may be a bit dated as we were there last November 2015 for five nights. The terraces on a Friday / Saturday were buzzing but on any other night, it was pretty calm - one night was probably a third full. Good food choices but next I will check out The QT buffet down the road.

Quite a few Platinums in house when I was there, around 10 or so at least from the name list I saw at breakfast. We received an Ocean Premium Room upgrade from the base room, with check-in staff suggesting it was a very nice room. Our room had panoramic views of the beach but I think next time I will ask for a room overlooking the pool, with the beach in the background.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
I stayed here for 5 nights on points and had a second room on points for family for 3 nights. I had stayed here a few years ago (see post 67).
This hotel is great and the Platinum recognition is fantastic.My wonderful Ambassador,JG, arranged to have both rooms upgraded to spa rooms. Any spa room ending in 50 has a beautiful view. Those ending in 52 not so great. They also provided a full buffet breakfast to all of us. Breakfast is still great with 1 cappuccino, eggs to order and a lot of fresh fruit. We had a couple of special occasions happening and both the hotel and my Ambassador provided nice recognition.

The seafood buffet is one of my favourite meals anywhere in the world. Lots of oysters, crab, prawns. On Friday and Saturday nights they serve "bugs" (Australian lobster). The price is either AUS$88 (Fri/Sat) or $82. However SPG members get a 15% discount. Furthermore for the Make a Green Choice you get a $15/day food credit. In the end it cost $200 for four people with all of the discounts.

The beach was just as beautiful and this time there were no jellyfish.

Great stay and a great property.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:44 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Has anyone stayed her since the refurb?

I note the suites have jumped in price to $990/night! Oddly the villas are cheaper.

Last edited by m0hamed; Oct 11, 2016 at 11:11 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I attempted to book this place on points for 5 nights in August 2018 and to my shock there was no availability... I called SPG and they said all that was available were suites starting at 24,000 SPG points a night.

I would have assumed that August would not be a particularly busy time... is there something big going on around then?

I ended up booking at the Surfers Paradise Marriott Vacation Club which, truth be told, is probably better suited to my family of 4 including 2 young kids. But I have to admit I was quite surprised by being rejected over 9 months out by this place.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:52 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I attempted to book this place on points for 5 nights in August 2018 and to my shock there was no availability... I called SPG and they said all that was available were suites starting at 24,000 SPG points a night.

I would have assumed that August would not be a particularly busy time... is there something big going on around then?

I ended up booking at the Surfers Paradise Marriott Vacation Club which, truth be told, is probably better suited to my family of 4 including 2 young kids. But I have to admit I was quite surprised by being rejected over 9 months out by this place.
Did you contact the hotel? They may have forgotten to load inventory for the base room type.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Did you contact the hotel? They may have forgotten to load inventory for the base room type.
That hadn't occurred to me... but do you think they actually would have let it slide for this long (9 1/2 months to the arrival date)?

I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Has anyone stayed here recently? How does it compare to Surfers Paradise Marriott? Which would you recommend for a 3 night stay?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Has anyone stayed here recently? How does it compare to Surfers Paradise Marriott? Which would you recommend for a 3 night stay?
The Sheraton remains the only 5 star hotel on the beach.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I stayed there for two nights in 2017 and thoroughly loved the property for it's location but the rooms are a bit dated though the pool was nice.

I'd probably encourage a three night stay at the Sheraton Grand Mirage in Port Douglas as that was more excellent and also on the beach too up by Cairns.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I stayed there for two nights in 2017 and thoroughly loved the property for it's location but the rooms are a bit dated though the pool was nice.

I'd probably encourage a three night stay at the Sheraton Grand Mirage in Port Douglas as that was more excellent and also on the beach too up by Cairns.
I've been to the Sheraton Port Douglas and it was a lovely property. I've never been to the Gold Coast which is why I thought I would give it a try. An Aussie friend says the Marriott is more kid friendly, which is driving me towards the Sheraton.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
How's the bikini eye candy around this beach resort ?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by mastergeek
how's the bikini eye candy around this beach resort ?
🤮🤮🤮
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I didn't stay at the Sheraton Gold Coast because the rate for the nights we wanted was in the $600 range, compared to the Marriott ( at about $250). The Marriott was busy, the pool small and busy and it wasn't directly on the beach. The suite we were upgraded to was excellent however, with a corner tub overlooking the beach and a view in multiple directions.For some reason it isn't inserting the photos but I can PM them ( I think) if you wish. The room was renovated in a typical beach theme, but with the original marble and tiles , which seemed more dated. We were happy there.

Last edited by Fizzer; Jan 2, 2019 at 10:34 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I've been to the Sheraton Port Douglas and it was a lovely property. I've never been to the Gold Coast which is why I thought I would give it a try. An Aussie friend says the Marriott is more kid friendly, which is driving me towards the Sheraton.
Take it for what it's worth but I went there during the Australian Schoolies week and we didn't see any kids at the Sheraton thankfully.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by m0hamed
🤮🤮🤮
reservation cancelled !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.