Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Email quotes general areas being refurbished by December. I think they are referring to public areas. Understand complete refurb, presumably all rooms, will finish in April.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by lehms
Family of 5. First trip to Australia. Kids 18 16 11. Coming in April. Thinking 3 days Sydney 3 days reef( cairns). And 3 days near Brisbane or melbourne. I have over 400k SPg PTA to burn
For your three days in Sydney the Sheraton on the Park is a great hotel. Use the Underground (St James Station just across the road) to get around. Reccomend ferry to Taronga Park Zoo.. see noctural house...

I am planning to spend a night at the Mirage in two months but if you are doing 3 days in Cairns I would suggest Melbourne. The Westin is a fantastic hotel. Melbourne has great restaurants... ride on the trams Lots of things to do within a few blocks of the Westin...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:18 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by lehms
Any recent stays? Family of 5. First trip to Australia. Kids 18 16 11. Coming in April. Thinking 3 days Sydney 3 days reef( cairns). And 3 days near Brisbane or melbourne. I have over 400k SPg PTA to burn
If you're from San Francisco you're going to find Melbourne like its ugly sister.

The weather in April is like your weather in March, and, like San Francisco, Melbourne trades on its restaurants, sporting heritage and theatre because its climate is much less attractive than its glitzier neighbours. Even its trams are like a pathetic imitation of your cable cars and F line streetcar. I don't think your teenagers would be very impressed.

Brisbane is even worse, an overgrown country town-cum-hick-city. It has no redeeming features of its own, but within 100 miles you have the Gold Coast (a cross between Fort Lauderdale and a mini-Anaheim) and the Sunshine Coast, which is vaguely similar to Santa Barbara. Either way you need to rent a car.

Melbourne and Brisbane are great places to live. But they are desperate places to vacation in.

If it was me - being you from San Francisco, not myself who lives on the Gold Coast - I'd be going:
Sydney - Westin or Sheraton
Port Douglas - Sheraton Mirage
Noosa - Sheraton.

The Westin Melbourne is as good as the previous poster wrote. But you're still in Melbourne, in the Australian Rules football season, with three teenagers who are going to wish they'd stayed at home. I cannot think of anything - anything - in Melbourne to excite an 11, 16 and 18 year old from San Francisco. Nothing their parents would approve of, anyway.

Last edited by DCF; Dec 30, 2011 at 1:24 am
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Stayed two nights in the Mirage and very much enjoyed the stay.

Upgrade: Was upgraded without request to a very large spa studio room that had been very recently refurbished.

Restaurant is expensive but quite good. The breakfast buffet is outstanding in both quality and huge choise. Used the PLT free breakfast instead of points option and was very satisfied. I was told the free breakfast lasted as long as your stay which seems like a nice benefit.

Several other non hotel restaurants are located very close across the road giving a number of eating options within a short walk.

I found the staff friendly and attentive. Free parking undrneath the property is nice. All the pools, beach, sand etc that you would expect.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:36 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Just got this email:

Something New Just Got Better

Dear m0hamed,

Set amongst 3.4 hectares of sparkling lagoons and tropical gardens, the Sheraton Mirage is the Gold Coast’s only five-star resort to offer an absolute beachfront location, making it one of Australia’s most popular conference, meetings and event venues. With a $26 million refurbishment, the iconic Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast has been transformed into a modern and sophisticated world class venue.

Stage one of the $20 million refurbishment was finalised ahead of schedule at the end of April 2012 and incorporated all 293 rooms and suites, accommodation corridors, lobby, reception desk, guest lifts, Porte Cochere, pool furnishings, Link@Sheraton, Terraces Restaurant and Pearls Bar.

Elevating the project momentum, Hotel owner, Pearls Australasia have continued with renovation works into the second phase of the project with an additional $6 million to upgrade meeting venues and selected resort areas. The new refurbishment works have transformed the outdoor poolside venue into a tropical oasis. Unique with its direct beach access, the outdoor poolside venue is suitable for up to 400 delegates in a banquet setting complete with stage, barbeques and buffets.

The stunning transformation of the conference venues reveals a modern and sophisticated facility featuring environmentally beneficial technology, gleaming new high traffic paths, neutral coloured wall surfaces drawing on a Mocca and Pearl colour palette thus accenting the vast space, high acoustic ceilings and dramatic lighting effects. Incorporating the latest in audio and visual technology, digital signage and with easy access for large equipment or vehicles, the overall result is to ensure any event, product launch, gala dinner or conference held at the resort is memorable for all the right reasons.

Finishing touches to the project works include updated street frontage and water features, lavastone driveways, attractive new signage and exterior building decorative features.

Discover the new Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa. To request a proposal please contact me on xxxx

Yours Sincerely,

Sales Manager

The photos on the website make it look rather modern, though that wasn't hard given how outdated the property was. Keen to try it once Summer hits.

Last edited by yosithezet; Feb 25, 2013 at 9:53 am Reason: Removed travel industry employee name and contact details per TOS
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
thinking of staying here in january , along with the noosa sheraton and 2 nights on fraser island as part of 3 week trip round oz. ANYONE STAYED RECENTLY?

I think we will do
5 nights - Sydney 29th-3rd Jan . Holiday Inn booked.
4 nights - Whitsundays 3rd-7th Jan
6 nights - Brisbane ( Gold Coast , Sunshine Coast , Noosa )
4 nights - Melbourne (Australian open tennis on) Holiday Inn booked.
Possibly try and fit in 2 nights Uluru
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
I just got back from 6 nights C+P stay. My Ambassador called ahead to try to get me upgraded to a suite. It didn't happen and I was given a spa room. Its a very nice room with a view of the ocean. They only have 3 standard suites which count towards a free upgrade. These are the suites with an interior view. Their ocean view suites are not considered "standard". I was quite surprised by this as I've seen specialty suites defined by differences like, presidential, honeymoon etc, but never by view of the ocean.
After one night in the spa room, they offered to upgrade me to an ocean-view suite for $100/night, including a roll away. Though I thought it should be included in my Plat benefits, I agreed to this, and it was definitely worth it.
The suite had a beautiful living room, a separate bedroom and a big tub/shower combo in the bathroom. It had recently been renovated and had a great view. Most impressive was the fact that the windows slid all the way, to make it seem like you were outside. I would highly recommend negotiating this upgrade.
They gave us two full buffet breakfasts every morning. Lots of fresh fruit,one cappuccino, eggs made to order, and the usual buffet items. It was delicious and very much appreciated that they did not limit it to a continental breakfast.
The beach is phenomenal! Beautiful sand, picturesque and undeveloped.You can walk hours in either direction. The only problem was that there were jellyfish blown in by the wind. Apparently this is not the norm.
Restaurants at the hotel are ridiculously expensive. Go across the street to Peter's Fish Market for inexpensive, takeout, tasty seafood (They cook it in front of you and you sit at communal tables outside.)

I also appreciated another Platinum benefit. Our suite was needed for the next guest before 4 pm Instead, they gave us a hospitality room until we had to go to the airport.

I loved the hotel and the beach.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Staying here now and i doubt the change of ownership has done anything.Put in for SNAs for my 3 night stay but got the 5 and 1 day email saying cant be done.Garden terrace suites were available for the stay at 5 and 1 day out and I thought those were the standard suites.Still available for the next 2 days.
Upgraded to the Spa Studio which here is a 1 grade upgrade.A wonderful road view room and noisy.Still have ocean kings for sale-these are priced higher than the spa studio so even the best room at checkin was denied.
Form letter handed over at checkin.No water.No in room fruit or anything.No paper.
Sorry but here only hassling will get you what SPG promises for plats.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K
Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast [Master Thread]

I am going there next weekend for one night. Emailed my ambassador and she confirmed that the platinum upgrade is to the garden view suite. If the hotel denies the upgrade at check in (given its still available) I guess I will have something to fall back on
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K

Submitted an sna and it was approved. I will report back about the suites after this weekend
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:03 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Stay report (first stay after renovation)

SNA denied. I asked my ambassador to offer an extra $100 a night for an Ocean suite, which the hotel accepted. Very glad I did. T-24, 3 out of 4 suite types showed available, but when we arrived to the resort at midday, they were all full (I checked, online, to confirm).

The suite wasn't ready so I suggested a change to another room, but the Asst FDM suggested the one they had assigned was much better, so we walked across to Marina Mirage for some lunch. They called, during lunch, to say the room was ready and I asked for the luggage to be sent to the room.

When we went to collect the keys, the same Asst FDM confirmed my preferences from my SPG file, and that they had been fulfilled. He went out of his way to tell me that although Plat amenity breakfast was continental that the hotel offers the full buffet and that we should help ourselves. Nice!.

We arrived to the Ocean Suite, which is billed as partial ocean view. Perhaps the other one is, but the north-facing one would be sold as oceanfront, in Hawaii. Of the 2 x 5 metre stretches of window, depending where you stand, in the suite, the ocean view is between 120 and 180 degrees. Fantastic, with a few palms to break it up. Each set of windows is made up of 6 panes, which slide outwards from the middle, so you can have them open to enjoy the weather and the sound of the surf and birds. Can you tell I'm impressed?

The renovation is very good. The suite is large - 1055sqft, and split into 2 main bays. One has the bathroom,with corner Jacuzzi tub, wardrobe and bedroom, with built in desk, chaise longue facing the sea, and mini bar, plus a high coffee table and extra armchair so you can enjoy the view and/or watch TV. The wall=mounted flat screen swivels from facing the furniture to the bed, so it can be viewed from anywhere in the room.

The other bay has the entryway, a living room with 2 huge, plush armchairs, a 3-4 seater sofa, large flat screen, a very larger (enough for 2 smaller people) armchair with ottoman facing the sea, another full desk, and a 4 chair marble dining suite in an area separated by columns.

The new look is a lot more modern, grey, black and white, with dark wood. Lots of dark grey marble in the bathroom and other counters, cream walls and modern art. A long modern entertainment unit in the living room, Bose iDevice dock in the living room and Sony iDevice clock radio next to the bed.

Large mirrors make the huge suite seem larger. The 3 expanses of glass facing the sea and gardens are approx 40 feet long!

Our welcome gift, with a note from F&B Mgr, was a bottle of sparkling wine on ice, 2 x 500ml Italian sparkling water and a box of chocolates. Spectacular plat recognition. With so many great places to eat and shop, right across the road, and that perfect 52km Gold Coast beach, I can't think of a better place to be, this weekend. From the suite, it feels like Maui, but with good restaurants and shops 100m away. There's a bike/exercise path next to the beach which, I guess leads down to Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. Maybe a walk today to find out.

I'll amend this report after the stay.

Other points:
Self parking, below the hotel, is free, with elevators to lobby or to each or the hotel wings, so you can get straight to the room.

Oasis Pool looks great. Tons of lounge chairs so no fighting over them. A well-staffed bar accessed from in, or next to the pool, with a simple but expensive menu, but it IS a resort.

The beach is across the walking path from the Oasis Pool area, and is patrolled by lifeguards so you can swim in safety. The sand is soft and inviting. The view from the beach is along the full stretch of the Gold coast, with the towers of Surfers and Broadbeach, all the way down to Coolangatta.

I am loving it here, and will be back.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I don't know how it was before renovation so cannot compare, but I am at this hotel right now and really like it. Booked Ocean Room, got upgrade to Premium Ocean Room. Views are spectacular and as you can open a window there is a nice breeze and you can hear waves hitting the shore. Quite pleasant and relaxing I must say.

Comments:
- Plat recognition pretty okay, I was upgraded to premium room but not suite although they do seem available. I could choose points or local amenity - wine
- Premium Ocean Room is very nice and has great views. These rooms are located on the last, 3rd floor of the hotel. The only disadvantage is that they don't have balconies.
- food at Oyster bay restaurant was pretty good, I have not tried the main restaurant yet, although the a la carte menu had the same offerings as Oyster bar. The main restaurant is focused on buffet style dining.
- in room internet is fast 10Mbps down/up
- sports complex, Golden Door Spa & Health Club is on site with quite big gym, olympic pool, tennis court etc
- excellent location with bridge connecting to Marina Mirage which is a small shopping center with really good and upscale restaurants overlooking Marina.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
It sounds like this hotel is out of walking distance from Surfers Paradise. Is it true you need a car? Or can you use taxis or a bus? How far would the walk be?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
It sounds like this hotel is out of walking distance from Surfers Paradise. Is it true you need a car? Or can you use taxis or a bus? How far would the walk be?
It depends, if I remember it is around 40mins walk to Surfers paradise. It is a very nice walk along the beach. There are taxis available.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
On my way to this hotel today. Received this via email hours before my stay:

"Dear Valued Guest

Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast keeps you connected with the latest news and current affairs.

Our resort commitment to do more to consume less and care for our planet encourages the use of electronic newspapers and magazines and we welcome you to enjoy the selection of over 2,300 complimentary newspaper and magazine titles delivered electronically for your reading pleasure.

Your use of our complimentary electronic media whilst you enjoy you stay will reduce the resort annual environmental footprint by 38,000 newspapers and at least 7,600 kg of paper waste.

To access local, national and international during your stay at the resort papers follow the below steps:

1. Connect to the Resort Wi-Fi network*
2. Download the PressReader app on your device at www.pressreader.com
3. Launch PressReader, pick your title and enjoy reading

*If you are using a laptop, please visit library.pressdisplay.com and enjoy the same experience

Thank you in advance for supporting this program and please enjoy reading your favourite news.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to connect with us.

Warmest Regards"

I wonder if this will become standard across properties at some point. I prefer the newspaper. Hard to read on my computer at breakfast or by the pool

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.