Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:49 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by aussiechris
On my Iphone, my booking changed from an Exec Suite (my original room was quickly upgraded to this ) to a Palm Suite a few days before arrival.
My points for the stay have quickly posted which included Plat amenity, 4th Starpoint and (Resort promo )10,000 Starpoints (R10). Fantastic job Mirage!
What new owners and what 10,000 Starpoints? And my reservation still says "Garden Room".
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
What new owners and what 10,000 Starpoints? And my reservation still says "Garden Room".
An Indian Company acquired the Hotel earlier in the year.
The 10,000 pts I referred to was the Resort 4 day bonus

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...19-2010-a.html
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:42 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I have a reservation for this weekend, pre-upgraded to an Exec Suite which is the room I had last time. Dated! Hoping it changes again to a Palm or Ocean Suite.

Tried looking for suite information and prices but can't find when searching on spg.com.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:28 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Checked in today at 1PM. Valet said that "As two young lads, you don't need help with the bags." A valet who doesn't valet, not the best welcome to a hotel.

Reception was crowded, and there was no elite line. In fact, front desk staff served another person that walked up to the concierge counter to checkout instead of me.

Got served, auto upgraded to an Executive Suite. Asked if a suite with Ocean views was available him and front desk agent called the manager, then said one would be ready at 3PM if we would like to wait. We said yes, and but we would like to change. Used the bathrooms at reception to change into shorts and a singlet, removed my valuables for the safety deposit box, then cloaked our luggage. Bellboy had difficulty understanding the word "cloak."

Spent a few hours by the pool, walked back up to reception, only to be told that the front desk agent had "wrong information" and we would have to take the original room. Unimpressed as rearranging my belongings and getting changed in the reception bathrooms wasn't something I enjoyed.

Got to the room, yet again another 1980s furnished Executive Suite. Yet, after all that, it had views of the ocean from the living room.

No baileys or apples as PLAT recognition unlike aussicris. Questioned Guest services who said "they are extras and you don't get them on this stay." Charming, really.

Overall the hotel is great for its location. Customer service is very Gold Coast.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:48 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Mohammed, we missed each other by a few days. I was there for a few nights earlier this month.

I arrived on a Sunday around 12pm, for some reason everyone and their dog was doing manual checkout at that time and whilst every line was open, there were about 50 people waiting to be served. No spg plat/gold/anything pannel visible anywhere, did someone steal it ?

When it got to my turn, my room was not ready. They took my mobile number and said they would call when the room was ready, they never did. They had a hard time referring me to local stores when I asked a fairly basic question (where to find boardies and flipflops).

I had been pre-upgraded to an Oasis room on the very end of the corridor on the Northern "tower". Anyone who has been to this hotel will know that the walks are long, in fact even though my room was overseeing the pool (and ocean visible from living room), you had to do a massive trek half-way back to the reception before being able to take an elevator down. On the plus side, when my baggage was in my room once I did come back to the hotel later that afternoon.

Unfortunately, no welcome amenity except the lousy weather. No bottles of water delivered (in fact in 6 days only got them delivered once). Daily turndown service worked like clockwork and the lady was very friendly.

The receptionist did remember my surname a week later (didn't venture past the lobby at all during my stay), was quite impressed by this.

Overall though, the pool is nice and the location really key here. You are right by the ocean (great beach with nobody on it), near to the spit, opposite the marina. Not that far from Surfers Paradise (but you need a car or bus to get there).

The lack of attention to platinum members is quite visible, my room was quite nice (not W or Westin style modern, but acceptable), but there was pretty much no recognition. I asked whether this was the best available room (I'm still not sure whether Oasis or ocean premium is regarded as higher, they didn't answer when I asked them).

I think when as a platinum member you stay somewhere for a week, the least one can do is send a bottle of wine or at least have the GM phone up and see if all is fine (most of the time I get this for one night stays). Evidently not, and I took that to mean they weren't really interested in my stay or business, which led me to taking all my incidental business elsewhere (I had before arriving, budgeted on spend all at the hotel).

A pity really as this property isn't far off being a true star, just that they miss out on the basics. With the Hilton opening up this coming month, my future business will go there next time I'm in town.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
Just back from 18 SPG nights in AUS. Nights 10 to 12 were at the Sheraton Mirage in Gold Coast.

Arrived by car. No problem finding the place and loads of free parking under the hotel. The room we were given is bigger than standard but not a suite. An old old bathroom with crummy shower but no big deal. Shutters rather than curtains mean the rooms gets very light pretty early in the morning. Not a sweet sleeper bed but it was OK.

No platinum specials. Reception said 'we don't really do that sort of thing in Aus'. Fair enough, that's what I expected. Hotel is very close to the beach, which is wide and clean. Big surf and cold water meant I didn't have a swim. We had a buffet one night at the hotel. It was OK. They also have a wine buffet with nice enough whites but fairly nasty reds. The marina is also a very short walk away over a bridge from the hotel. Lots of nice looking restaurants over there. We ate there a couple of times and had breakfasts overlooking the luxury boats in the marina.

I'd go again if I wanted to go the area again...which I don't. The new Versace hotel by the Marina might be a better bet for those expecting a more luxurious stay. The Sheraton is tired and more suited for conference groups these days. Free wireless internet in the lobby area. The rooms are also meant to have wireless but we couldn't pick up a signal in our room.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:22 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I Claudius, thank you for taking the time to write the reviews for your recent stays at the three properties.
Old May 14, 2011, 9:27 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by I Claudius
No platinum specials.
What Platinum specials are you referring to?

Also, you must have been in one of the renovated rooms as many are not looking tired at all anymore.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
DownUnderFlyer, I meant specials such as free breakfast/drinks or vouchers for that sort of thing. I don't mind not getting these things, especially the b'fast, since it forces us to try places outside the hotel and we generally eat a lot less then.

I assume you meant to say 'unrenovated' rooms. I would not say our room was looking particularly renovated, especially the bathroom. But not terribly tired either.
Old May 16, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Those Baileys' are a gift? I always just assumed they were part of the minibar and would be charged! Ripped!

Very dated hotel, and have had mixed experiences with the staff - I find the staff who hang around the front doors (bellhops?) wonderful, whereas housekeeping to be quite rude and intrusive.

As a gold, have about 50% rate of getting a 1br suite upgrade.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:21 pm

Royal Suite upgrade on an Award Stay

Well I have just had a Royal Suite (Room 3088) upgrade.
Staying for the one night, I noticed the Hotel was basically full so I grabbed what was probably the last Garden View room (handicap accessible ) for 10,000 Starpoints (Rates were showing from $525 per night).
The Hotel was full with an Avon conference.
Great value IMHO.
Even greater value was the upgrade to Room 3088, the Royal Suite. The rate for this suite is $2000 per night.

I was greeted by Lee, the Duty Manager at reception who came out to personally greet me. She mentioned that she had put me in the Royal Suite.
With her was the IT Manager who was new.
We discussed the recent addition of In Room Wifi which was designed to overcome the patchy previous cable connections. A quick check of speed showed 1.97M/sec download and 1.96M/sec upload.

The Hotel has just commenced a major renovation and it will be fantastic to see this property returned to its former glory.
I had a faultless stay...a bottle of champagne (complimentary amenity) was waiting for me in my fridge and room service quickly swapped it for a nice bottle of red which suited me better.

Simply too good to be true!
Everyone was so nice and welcoming.
I wished I could have lingered longer!
Perhaps next time
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Smile

Well I will wish for similiar treatment next week when I use up the free nights from the last promo.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:27 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

The property claims that the refurbishment will be complete by mid December. Talk about fast! See https://mymail.ezemsgs.com/em/mail/v...8610&k=74ea646

It looks stunning, and we all know is well overdue for a facelift!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by m0hamed
It looks stunning, and we all know is well overdue for a facelift!
The renovated room looks like a new Four Points ....
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
Any recent stays? Family of 5. First trip to Australia. Kids 18 16 11. Coming in April. Thinking 3 days Sydney 3 days reef( cairns). And 3 days near Brisbane or melbourne. I have over 400k SPg PTA to burn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.