Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:08 pm

Hotel is currently for sale

Downunder Girl, I spent 4 days at the Hotel last week. I was upgraded from a Garden Room to an Ocean Premium Room.
The Hotel is for sale because the owner Jim Raptis (http://www.raptisgroup.com.au/ ) is in receivership and looking for AUD80-100 Million for a sale.
The Villas (Pacific Mirage) which are privately owned, are in good order but the Hotel itself is stuck in the 1980s and desperate for a full makeover. I was told that 4 groups have made offers and that the new owner would need to spend about half the purchase price again to refurbish . Such is the need that the Hotel would probably need to shut for 2 years if this happens.Past owners have made plans to renovate but have lacked the funds when it really counted. Hopefully the new owner will go ahead and fully renovate.The staff are fantastic and valet parking is still only AUD10.
Platinum members will not get a Villa upgrade but a nice bottle of Red was waiting for me!
I had a great Ocean Premium room view and location is superb as I was running on the beach at 0530hours ( no daylight saving)
The dinner buffet downstairs is overpriced like most things in the Hotel...AUD73 from memory.

Last edited by aussiechris; Nov 13, 2008 at 1:10 pm Reason: clarification
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I personally would not pay anymore than $300pn to stay at the SMGC.

The hotel although looking a tired is still quite a good Sheraton. The pool and pool bar is still nice, as well as the proximity to the beach which is adjacent to the property.

The dinner is pushing on the pricey side but is typical pricing for a hotel restaurant.

Personally, as I often travel with friends an apartment-like place works out better value and I have recently switched my stays to the Q1 apartments smack in the middle of Surfers Paradise. Recent stay included 3 bedroom apartment, at least 250sqm in size, on a super high floor with views as far as the eyes can see, priceless.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:48 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Thanks AussieChris and Alan ^.

Well I dont like the sound of the receivership situation .

I was hoping to stay in June 09. Currently its showing at around $275 p/nite but I can do better than that . Lets hope its still in existence then as an SPG property.

Anyone know about the plat and gold upgrades (if any )?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 5:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I stayed there last month and it was quite pleasant - everyone was very helpful.

The location isn't too convenient except for Marina Mirage, but they do arrange car hire (with Thrify and Avis, I think) and you can have the vehicle delivered to the hotel, so it saves the hassle of picking it up and dropping it off in Surfers.

I am quite sure I got a better room than I booked (the room seemed larger than the one I booked), but I was not sure because the reception staff just said "We have a nice room for you" and smiled, and made no song and dance about it. I was just a non-status SPG then.
I got the room for AUD220 per night, which I thought was quite good value.

Rooms are quite spacious, especially compared to European hotels, as with many hotels in Australia. The room appeared to be partially renovated. The bathroom and some parts of the room looked a rather tired, but the immediate area around the bed seemed to have had some recent work done. Table and chairs appeared to be relatively new too (although I've seen some photos of very tired looking rooms as well).

General interior of the hotel looks a bit tired, although not horrible.

Their club sandwich still stands as the best of SPG properties, mainly because their chips were good.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:12 am

I have managed to get a room rate of $220 as well, so thats better than $300 .

Any recent data points on how SPG Gold and Plats are treated with regard to upgrades?

About 10 years ago, I had the seafood buffet dinner there and it was fantastic. Swans were swimming by in the lagoon near the restaurant. I am hoping its still good, anyone eaten there recently?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:15 pm

The seafood buffet is around $80/head, IIRC, without Starwood Privilege discount. Swans still swim in the lagoon.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I have managed to get a room rate of $220 as well, so thats better than $300 .

Any recent data points on how SPG Gold and Plats are treated with regard to upgrades?

About 10 years ago, I had the seafood buffet dinner there and it was fantastic. Swans were swimming by in the lagoon near the restaurant. I am hoping its still good, anyone eaten there recently?
I stayed here for 3 nights 3 weeks ago.
The Pixie Skase salmon still abounds. I was upgraded to an Oasis Room .
I did spot as few Swans in the lagoon below the upstairs lobby bar which offers great service. Valet parking is still AUD10.
The staff try hard but the ownership cloud still remains and is preventing much needing renovations from occuring.
I had some internet issues and the Hotel assures me that soon wifii will be added to the rooms. I just walked with my laptop over the bridge to McDonalds where it is free.Most of the renovations at Marina Mirage are now finished or close to being finished.
The buffet dinner can be popular especially on a Sunday night.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by futaris
The seafood buffet is around $80/head, IIRC, without Starwood Privilege discount. Swans still swim in the lagoon.
Thanks to you and Aussiechris for the replies.

WOW - thats quite steep for a buffet I would think . It better be worth it!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
I'm considering using some points to stay here (or the Sheraton in Noosa) but I'm a little worried about the rooms based on some of the comments I've read (and one the pictures on spg.com makes the room look like it's stuck back in the early 80's). Are the rooms really that bad???
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:16 am

Just thought I'd chime in on this thread. What makes this hotel special is the staff. Most of them are true locals and many, long-term employees. My experience is that they will bend over backwards to assist and make the stay special. This is over 6-7 years of visits with family in tow almost every time.

The rooms are definitely dated, but generally well maintained and certainly comfortable and in harmony with the surroundings and the sounds of the ocean when you slide the windows open.

We only go into Surfers once on a normal week there. Tedders Avenue is walking distance if it's not too hot and our favourite restaurants are still at the Marina and the breakfast selections improved as well. (We've only used the hotel buffet restaurant a couple of times over the years.) We do like the Oyster Bar. They'll get anything from the kitchen for you, serve a mean drink and somehow keep a 7-year old happy.

The pools are great. The ocean is literally right there. It's quiet. Seaworld is just down the street. Basically a fantastic place for a romantic weekend or a family beach holiday.

We were there last in February this year and heard about the sale. I'm sorry to hear that the ownership question isn't resolved.

Can you tell I like the place?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:26 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I recently stayed at this hotel.

My impression was that it is a lot better than what I expected from the comments here.
I arrived and immediately was asked whether I needed assistance with my luggage. Check-in was fine and I got upgraded to a 1BR suite upon asking for one. Originally an Ocean Premium Room was allocated for me.

The renovated rooms look very nice with modern decor. But even the non renovated rooms are still fine. The Hotel very much reminds me of the Hilton Waikoloa Village. A similar layout with the manicured gardens and pool landscapes and even the bit old room decor is similar.
The location is very nice, right at the beach with a shopping centre and Seaworld within walking distance. Lots of excellent eateries around. Howver, it is about a 5 minute drive to downtown Surfers.

Staff was great and very friendly. Yes, parts of the hotel look a bit old which is not surprising given that the hotel is still in receivership and for sale.

All in all a much nicer stay than expected and would come back with family.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
195 rooms for A$195

Celebrate Summer - 24th November - 24th December 2009
Exclusive to past guests of Sheraton Mirage Resort and Spa Gold Coast, we invite you to come and experience the resort again for an unforgettable price.
Receive overnight accommodation in a Garden Room for only $195 per room per night!
Only available for the first 195 rooms booked. To secure this special offer, please either email our Reservation Team on goldcoast00372 AT sheraton.com or call us on +61 7 5591 1488 and mention this email.
Edited E-Mail and Phone Number
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:10 pm

Just added the T & Cs to the offer DownUnderFlyer has outlined:

Exclusive to past guests of Sheraton Mirage Resort and Spa Gold Coast, we invite you to come and experience the resort again for an unforgettable price.
Receive overnight accommodation in a Garden Room for only $195 per room per night!
Only available for the first 195 rooms booked. To secure this special offer, please either email our Reservation Team on goldcoast00372 at sheraton.com or call us on 07 5591 1488 and mention this email.
Book Now >

Terms & Conditions

195 Rooms for $195 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offer is valid for stay dates between 11/24/2009 and 12/24/2009, and must be redeemed/booked between 11/24/2009 and 12/24/2009.
Offer is valid for stays 24th November 2009 - 24 December 2009 inclusive, subject to availability. Rate is $195 per room per night for a Garden room Sunday - Friday only based on single/double occupancy. A limited number of rooms are availabe at these rates and blackout dates may apply. Offer not applicable to groups. Not to be combined with other offers or promotions. No further discounts offered including Starwood Privilege. Garden rooms only, no upgrade available. Not responsible for typographic errors or omissions. Accommodation is pre paid and non refundable.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:08 pm

Any advice on the best way to get to and from the airport(s)?

Cheers,
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Flews
Any advice on the best way to get to and from the airport(s)?

Cheers,
OOL or BNE?
Either way my suggestion is that you book a rental car that will allow you to tour around and see some sights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.