Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee

Ultimate Reservation Guarantee:

If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your Marriott Rewards membership number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.

Brand
Guest compensation***

JW Marriott®, Autograph Collections®, EDITION®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotel and Resorts, Gaylord Hotels, Delta Hotels®
- $200 USD
- 90,000 points

AC Hotels, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownePlace Suites, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels
- $100 USD
(Platinum members also receive 90,000 bonus points)

The Ritz-Carlton
Platinum Members received
- $200 USD
- 140,000 points

***Outside of the U.S. compensation will be paid in the local currency
Print Wikipost

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat | United Silver | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | Marriott Titanium | IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Two things I can think of. First, the T&Cs state you can only earn one "Guarantee" per stay. Second, you only receive elite benefits for one room - the room you as the elite stay in. So that means you should only receive the extra elite benefits of the walk for one of the rooms.

But you should still receive the normal walk benefits for all the rooms. IOW, the hotel should still help find you 2 rooms at another, comparable hotel and pay for the first night for both rooms.
Thanks! This makes sense. Which means they should have paid $100x2 and 90k x1
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WittingGadabout

They walked me to a nice non-Marriott resort. Wasted on a 12hr business stay, but perfectly fine
Even if you didn't have time to enjoy it, that sounds like a good outcome from a TPS. OTOH, for you it's less convenient to be farther from Tempe (and probably the airport too).
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:54 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WittingGadabout
Thanks! This makes sense. Which means they should have paid $100x2 and 90k x1
Actually, I think it means one of each ($100x1 and 90kx1). For a walk at a TPS the $100 is only for Silver and above elites and the 90k points is for Plat and above elites. Neither is given to non-elites if walked.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTT & Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I got a phone call from the SHS Front desk informing me I was going to be walked due to some flooded rooms. They would pay for room at an Embassy Suites and give me 10k points. I told them I was due $100 and 90k. A few mins later I they called back and said they had a cancellation.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by paulsalem
I got a phone call from the SHS Front desk informing me I was going to be walked due to some flooded rooms. They would pay for room at an Embassy Suites and give me 10k points. I told them I was due $100 and 90k. A few mins later I they called back and said they had a cancellation.
It's funny how some hotels manage to find rooms once they're aware that someone knows the rules. Clearly some staff member found another person who could be walked more cheaply. I don't believe that these cancellations just happen at the right time.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Plat | United Silver | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | Marriott Titanium | IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually, I think it means one of each ($100x1 and 90kx1). For a walk at a TPS the $100 is only for Silver and above elites and the 90k points is for Plat and above elites. Neither is given to non-elites if walked.
Yes, you're right. I read the comp for non-elites incorrectly. They're only entitled to a free room at a new property. Chatted with Platinum desk last night and they opened a case for the 90k points as she said the hotels often need "reminding" to apply these.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I was walked this week at a Marriott in the LA area. Late flight into LAX, I'd confirmed reservation with my corporate Amex and checked in with mobile app. They handed me a letter when I walked in after midnight and told me I could get a room at the not-so-nice hotel across the street. I protested loudly and also said, no way I am walking down the road in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT in a city I don't know. I took the room and then ended up back at Marriott for second night of res. I've just always assumed I'd never get walked as an elite member?! by the way, the place across the street had terrible loud HVAC, a thin mattress and lumpy pillows. It was gross. But it was 1am (and I was on central time so felt later) and I didn't know what to do.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by curl
I was walked this week at a Marriott in the LA area. Late flight into LAX, I'd confirmed reservation with my corporate Amex and checked in with mobile app. They handed me a letter when I walked in after midnight and told me I could get a room at the not-so-nice hotel across the street. I protested loudly and also said, no way I am walking down the road in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT in a city I don't know. I took the room and then ended up back at Marriott for second night of res. I've just always assumed I'd never get walked as an elite member?! by the way, the place across the street had terrible loud HVAC, a thin mattress and lumpy pillows. It was gross. But it was 1am (and I was on central time so felt later) and I didn't know what to do.
I don't know how this is possible if you were already checked in, especially if it was one of the properties using the mobile key feature of the application. Did you get the compensation?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Name & Shame
C17PSGR and hockeyinsider like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I protested loudly
No need to protest loudly. Tell the hotel people that you are invoking the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee. Either a room will magically appear, or they will be paying you cash and points.
C17PSGR and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:39 pm

I haven't received any compensation yet. I asked them three time - HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? I checked in.

The hotel is still trying to offer me 35K points...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I haven't received any compensation yet. I asked them three time - HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? I checked in.

The hotel is still trying to offer me 35K points...
Have you told them what they have to provide under the ultimate res guarantee? Their offer doesn't matter. I hate when they arm wrestle for less.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:51 pm

It was the Marina Del Rey Marriott, btw.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:53 pm

The hotel finally responded to me tonight. I just replied and requested the compensation as specified per the guarantee. I'm guessing people don't know or don't ask.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Let us know how it works out. Hopefully they'll honor the guarantee. If they don't, then escalate it. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.