Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Franchisee Consolidating Guests into ONE hotel - Bangkok

Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...

Marriott Marquis in Bangkok who's owner group owns six hotels in bangkok is closing Five of their six hotels moving everyone to one hotel which goes against marriotts your safety is our concern during Covid outbreak BS line they are spewing all over. This goes against all medical advice to herd people in ONE location. It appears to be directly endangering all their guests by moving everyone into one hotel.

Shameful that they do this, shameful that Marriott stands by and does nothing for their members.
tbm13 likes this.

Last edited by KosraeTV; Mar 28, 2020 at 4:52 am
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KosraeTV
Marriott Marquis in Bangkok who's owner group owns six hotels in bangkok is closing Five of their six hotels moving everyone to one hotel which goes against marriotts your safety is our concern during Covid outbreak BS line they are spewing all over. This goes against all medical advice to herd people in ONE location. It appears to be directly endangering all their guests by moving everyone into one hotel.

Shameful that they do this, shameful that Marriott stands by and does nothing for their members.
What are the other five hotels and which one remains open and is being used for all guests?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are the other five hotels and which one remains open and is being used for all guests?

CLOSED

Marriott surawong MARRIOTT
Marriott Marquis MARRIOTT
Okura hotel
Double tree by Hilton sukhumvit
Le meridien Bangkok MARRIOTT

OPEN Plaza Athene MARRIOTT

They will move us and give us a room but not say the room type or we can go on our own. So we have the choice of moving with five other hotel guests and risk infection and keep paying Marriott to risk our health or scramble and find our own rooms.

Classy move Marriott

AWM is the owner they say we are closing our hotels due to this risk and will arrange you for room at this other hotel but they don't say that they own that hotel and are just shutting five of their six while risking their guests health and safety while trying to keep all the room rentals cash.

I've been told they are following medical advice, marriott says this, I've asked for the report and proof, they surprise surprise have no report to show me that this is proper medical advice. But I'm sure their accountant and can show me the cost savings they will get by shutting five.

HEY MARRIOTT YOU ARE NOT SHOWING ME THE MEDICAL REPORT YOU SAY YOU ARE FOLLOWING so all those comments that we value your health are a load of horse s#%(. Would love to get the medical authorities on this and the reporters to show that marriott cares more about their bottom line then the guests health.

Last edited by KosraeTV; Mar 28, 2020 at 5:09 am
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium

Did I miss something? Your lead says Marriott. But it sounds like the local ownership is responsible.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
look on the bright side. with more employees at the single hotel, they can clean/sanitize more effectively.

personally, I think you are over-reacting, given the current state of events. If the new hotel is too crowded for you, then find another hotel.

good luck and stay healthy.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Did I miss something? Your lead says Marriott. But it sounds like the local ownership is responsible.
To me it is Marriott as Marriott has said that they are following proper medical advice and see nothing wrong here. So they are approving this to me. And I see no way this follows medical guidelines.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
So what is the Marquis occupancy level now that 6 hotels have been combined into one? 15%?
LIH Prem, TravisMT81, KRSW and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
look on the bright side. with more employees at the single hotel, they can clean/sanitize more effectively.

personally, I think you are over-reacting, given the current state of events. If the new hotel is too crowded for you, then find another hotel.

good luck and stay healthy.
They are not moving their employees they are making their employees use anual leave and stay at home. So they have the same staff they always had which does not mean they have more staff.

I am pissed as they are trying to take the moral high ground saying they are doing it for the safety, but in reality it stinks of a solely cost cutting measure and puts us their guests at risk for their bottom line. Shutting five hotels but leaving one open and telling people they can move there without saying oh by they way we own that one too is a classless move by the chain.

If you are going to screw people up the arse and jeopardize their health atleast have some balls and kiss them first.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
So what is the Marquis occupancy level now that 6 hotels have been combined into one? 15%?
Cute ! No idea the other hotels, some in the region are at 10 so if that is the same for all six then the one hotel would be at 60% if all moved.

This hotel was right where i had to do my work, and by moving across town i'll have to travel every day a lot farther then I would have. Not like we're sitting by the pool drinking margraita's.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Moderator advisory :

Any more posts which continue to use inflammatory language WILL BE REMOVED.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Cute ! No idea the other hotels, some in the region are at 10 so if that is the same for all six then the one hotel would be at 60% if all moved.
Per Wikipedia:

The Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park, formerly known as The Imperial Queen's Park Hotel, Bangkok, is the largest hotel in Bangkok with his 1,251 rooms.

Edit: I misread. I thought OP was being sent to the Marquis. I still think his complaint his unreasonable even if he’s being sent to the Athenee.

Last edited by margarita girl; Mar 29, 2020 at 6:40 am
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
So if I understand this correctly, you are currently at the Marriott Marquis?

CLOSED

Marriott surawong MARRIOTT
Marriott Marquis MARRIOTT
Okura hotel
Double tree by Hilton sukhumvit
Le meridien Bangkok MARRIOTT

OPEN Plaza Athene MARRIOTT

They will move us and give us a room but not say the room type or we can go on our own. So we have the choice of moving with five other hotel guests and risk infection and keep paying Marriott to risk our health or scramble and find our own rooms.
Currently the Marriott Marquis, a 1251 room hotel, has a total of 6 rooms being used by guests that they are making move to the Plaza Athenee, which has 374 rooms. Let us assume the 4 other hotels also have 6 rooms being used, even though they are far smaller than the Marquis, which admittedly could be way off. That means 36 rooms of the 374 room Plaza Athenee will be occupied, which is less than 10% occupancy.

I understand your frustration of having to travel further for work, frankly that sucks. But, I find it hard to see how this is a health issue when the hotels are so empty, whether consolidated or not.
TerryK, dgreen12, mcgahat and 15 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you think the owners of the closed hotels are cool dumping money down the drain?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Exactly!!

Consolidating 6 hotels with 1% occupancy into 1 will ultimately restrict movement. Last layover hotel had 2 registered guests besides crew.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
To me it would only go against worldwide kinda "protocols" if everyone was crammed into a full hotel. If 60 guests are scattered among 200 rooms on 6 floors or something like that, it seems alright to me. I'd be a little worried about that, but I'd be a little worried about travelling to begin with, so I wonder how many guests they'd have in the first place.

Secondarily, I'd be a little...miffed, if I paid for a "high class" room and got given a joke one. I don't pay for expensive hotels, it's not my style, but I understand some do. Last time I was in BKK, I paid for Ibis budget and they moved me to Ibis Styles, not a huge difference by any means, but if it had been the other way around, I would've wanted a refund of the difference at least in price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.