Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee

Ultimate Reservation Guarantee:

If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your Marriott Rewards membership number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.

Brand
Guest compensation***

JW Marriott®, Autograph Collections®, EDITION®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotel and Resorts, Gaylord Hotels, Delta Hotels®
- $200 USD
- 90,000 points

AC Hotels, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownePlace Suites, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels
- $100 USD
(Platinum members also receive 90,000 bonus points)

The Ritz-Carlton
Platinum Members received
- $200 USD
- 140,000 points

***Outside of the U.S. compensation will be paid in the local currency
Print Wikipost

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
RobOnLI,

I think we are in a period of time where we need to focus on the good of society and the world as a whole. With that in mind, unless a business is explicitly doing something to take advantage of me I will grant them very wide latitude and not ask for any comp. The hospitality industry will be reeling from The Coronavirus pandemic. While the properties they offered to re-accommodate you at are cheaper, I would let it slide. If the worst thing you experience from the outbreak is you overpaid for a few hotel nights compared to normal rates, consider yourself very fortunate. My two cents....

--Jon
Don't disagree at all. I don't care about the hotel rates or the comp (90K points). I'm fortunate enough to not have the virus and I'm still traveling every week.

I was more just curious if people thought it was a "walk" situation. In the grand scheme of the world going you-know-where in a hand-basket this doesn't rank. But this is FT and still available for constructive feedback/banter/discussion back and forth.

-RM
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

I was more just curious if people thought it was a "walk" situation.
No - closure due to a extraordinary circumstance. And I hope we'd agree - this is extraordinary. While there are other cases, the spirit of the walk compensation is when hotels overbook.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I agree with HNLbasedFlyer this is a walk due to extraordinary circumstance and not a normal walk subject to compensation. RobOnLI I get it that it is fun to ask hypotheticals on FT. Glad to hear you weren't seriously looking for compensation. I too am using FT as one form of stress relief.

--Jon
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Hmmmm, I disagree this isn't a walk. Marriott's page reads:
If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your member number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.

It's generally stated, with no exclusions, certainly not just for overbooks, and while I would give wide latitude and wouldn't be upset with a lack of compensation, there's nothing here that says this isn't a walk.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edscholl
It's generally stated, with no exclusions,
Actually there are exclusions in the T&C details. Directly from the Marriott Rewards T&Cs: " A Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply." And if I'm reading the OPs situation correctly, the hotel has now closed it doors for the time being. It is not open and operational right now and thus not considered a Walk (at least in terms of applying Marriott's Reservation Guarantee).

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually there are exclusions in the T&C details. Directly from the Marriott Rewards T&Cs: " A Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply." And if I'm reading the OPs situation correctly, the hotel has now closed it doors for the time being. It is not open and operational right now and thus not considered a Walk (at least in terms of applying Marriott's Reservation Guarantee).

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi
Huh, thanks. So overbooking for revenue management is a no go, but closing and kicking guests out that are currently there for revenue management is ok? That doesn't seem right.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Huh, thanks. So overbooking for revenue management is a no go, but closing and kicking guests out that are currently there for revenue management is ok? That doesn't seem right.
Three of the four Autograph Collection hotels in downtown Spokane (plus another hotel under the same ownership not affiliated with Marriott) are temporarily closed due to Covid-19 and all reservations were consolidated into the one remaining property.

That one remaining property has less than 10% of its rooms occupied.

Give me a break. We're living in extraordinary times.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Three of the four Autograph Collection hotels in downtown Spokane (plus another hotel under the same ownership not affiliated with Marriott) are temporarily closed due to Covid-19 and all reservations were consolidated into the one remaining property.

That one remaining property has less than 10% of its rooms occupied.

Give me a break. We're living in extraordinary times.
Not sure what there is to give you a break on - everyone is on the same page that these are extraordinary circumstances and NOBODY had disagreed that compensation isn't a big deal here.

But kind of weird that the policy seems to allow a hotel to kick people out (which is a much bigger deal to must guests I'd guess) for revenue management and not compensate, while walking someone at check-in is compensated. While that looks to be allowed in the t&C's, I'd guess that the closure policy with no compensation was written with forced closures mind.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
you also want comp if a hotel closes or changes flags? The comp is very clearly meant for overbookings and walks resulting from such.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Here’s my situation:

booked a 5 night stay with 130,000 points. Hotel closes after 2 nights and moved to a lesser property which is providing an emergency rate of $110/nt (will not accrue points or nights). Marriott is being difficult about refunding a prorated amount of points.

should I ask for the guarantee rather than pursue a refund?

Properties are the Tambo del Inka and Palacio del Inka.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Similar situation. Hotel just cancelled my 3 night points stay (end of April). That was a long planned weekend pleasure trip.

Hotel category has increased since I booked it so if I rebook (for different dates obviously) I'll need more points.

Should I ask Marriott/hotel anything or would it be inappropriate?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
you also want comp if a hotel closes or changes flags? The comp is very clearly meant for overbookings and walks resulting from such.
If so, it seems they should call it such rather than an ultimate reservation guarantee "for reason we’re unable to honor your reservation."

If the hotel closes in the middle of a guest staying there, yes, it'd be very much a great thing for Marriott to compensate for the inconvenience. If it changes flags, you could probably still stay there, so no.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
If so, it seems they should call it such rather than an ultimate reservation guarantee "for reason we’re unable to honor your reservation."

If the hotel closes in the middle of a guest staying there, yes, it'd be very much a great thing for Marriott to compensate for the inconvenience. If it changes flags, you could probably still stay there, so no.
I asked about the guarantee but was told due to the coronavirus I wasn’t eligible. I did get a refund of 60,000 points from 130,000 deduction but only stayed 2of 5 nights. Not sure how they did the math but I am tired of the unresponsiveness from Marriott.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I asked about the guarantee but was told due to the coronavirus I wasn’t eligible.
That's the thing though, right? It's not closed "due to the coronavirus" - it's not like the health department is shutting them down. It's closed due to revenue management, due to low bookings (yes, due to coronavirus, that's not the reason the hotel is closed). After this series of posts started last week, I actually got booted out of the hotel I was staying, to the sister hotel (same owners) across the parking lot. Turns out the hotel was still staffed at the front desk to take calls (and get beers or wine - the sister hotel doesn't sell booze, but you could go across the parking lot to get some). AND TO TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR THAT WEEK. And reservations were still being done online - the hotel was just rebooking you into the open sister hotel - at the higher rate of the hotel you booked. Real nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.