Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Does Marriott have a policy regarding walking guests?

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee

Ultimate Reservation Guarantee:

If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your Marriott Rewards membership number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.

Brand
Guest compensation***

JW Marriott®, Autograph Collections®, EDITION®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotel and Resorts, Gaylord Hotels, Delta Hotels®
- $200 USD
- 90,000 points

AC Hotels, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownePlace Suites, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels
- $100 USD
(Platinum members also receive 90,000 bonus points)

The Ritz-Carlton
Platinum Members received
- $200 USD
- 140,000 points

***Outside of the U.S. compensation will be paid in the local currency
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 26, 19, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Thanks all for the quick replies. Talked to the manager the next morning and he (claimed to be) unaware of any policy to walking elites. He seemed genuine, but unable to do anything on the spot. He took all of the information and "would follow up" in the coming days. It's now been 48 hours since that discussion and no resolution. If nothing by Monday, we'll reach out to Marriott, per Ms. Zhou's recommendation.
Reach out to Ms. ZHOU using the email she provided or via private message here on FT. She will be able to handle it much better/quicker than sending to generic Marriott CS.
margarita girl and KRSW like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
What can a general member expect when being walked? I understand that the compensation in the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee only applies to elites. A Fairfield walked me to another property last week and still charged me for the stay as a no-show on the reservation. That doesn't sound quite right.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nookanaya View Post
What can a general member expect when being walked? I understand that the compensation in the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee only applies to elites. A Fairfield walked me to another property last week and still charged me for the stay as a no-show on the reservation. That doesn't sound quite right.
That sounds like an error. If they won't reverse the charge, I'd initiate a chargeback. "Services not provided."
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What time did you arrive? If it was after night audit, you could have been marked as a no show long before you arrived. It seems good that the hotel at least sent you to another place that did have a room, but were you charged for one or both hotels?
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Were you charged by the other hotel or did hotel who walked you pay the other hotel? Regardless you shouldn't have been marked as a no-show.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:43 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
If you were served with Amex, I believe they have to give you one free night at the other hotel and not charge you for that night at their hotel. Which should be pretty much standard no matter how you reserved.
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:53 am

Thanks all for your replies! @flyerCO and @MSPeconomist, I was only charged by the Fairfield that had my original reservation. The other hotel (a Townplace) just handed me a keycard when I got there. According to my Uber receipt I arrived at the Fairfield at 12:30am, so it must have been about 1am when I got to the second place. @stc, yes it was an AMEX Business Travel reservation.

I've tried to contact the night manager who sent me to the Townplace as well as the GM. I haven't heard from either, so as Kacee said I may just do a chargeback. I wanted to tell Chase that at least I tried. I mostly wanted to make sure that general members weren't expected to pay for the walked night (i.e. a comp is for elites only).
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks all for your replies! @flyerCO and @MSPeconomist, I was only charged by the Fairfield that had my original reservation. The other hotel (a Townplace) just handed me a keycard when I got there. According to my Uber receipt I arrived at the Fairfield at 12:30am, so it must have been about 1am when I got to the second place. @stc, yes it was an AMEX Business Travel reservation.

I've tried to contact the night manager who sent me to the Townplace as well as the GM. I haven't heard from either, so as Kacee said I may just do a chargeback. I wanted to tell Chase that at least I tried. I mostly wanted to make sure that general members weren't expected to pay for the walked night (i.e. a comp is for elites only).
I don't believe the policy says they can't charge you for that night. I always thought the policy simply gave you certain compensation if hotel had to walk you. However you still paid the original hotel, who was on hook to pay for other room if more expensive. It's been ages since I had to be walked, so this may have changed.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ages ago, hotel reservations guaranteed with the AmEx card were supposed to be free (for the first night) if you were walked, plus IIRC you got local transportation (taxi) paid to the other hotel and a phone call. However, I haven't noticed AmEx advertising this feature in a long time, so it might not apply any more.
Old Oct 30, 19, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I don't believe the policy says they can't charge you for that night. I always thought the policy simply gave you certain compensation if hotel had to walk you. However you still paid the original hotel, who was on hook to pay for other room if more expensive.
Makes sense. I'm trying to figure out what that compensation policy is, and only the elite policy is clear on the website. If the policy is that I (or rather, my company) still needs to pay for it, then that is what it is. As it stands we're paying for it and I don't get the meager amount of points I would have gotten for a completed stay.
Old Oct 31, 19, 12:32 am

Makes sense. I'm trying to figure out what that compensation policy is, and only the elite policy is clear on the website. If the policy is that I (or rather, my company) still needs to pay for it, then that is what it is. As it stands we're paying for it and I don't get the meager amount of points I would have gotten for a completed stay.
If you arrived after night audit, you likely were charged automatically by the system since you were a late arrival. However that should be refunded based on the Marriott standards.

The other possibility is when the auditor finished the night (s)he forgot to propperly mark your reservation as a walked room and again the system auto processed it as a no show/cancelation fee.

Open a customer care claim to get their attention.

Either way, in accordance with the standards set by Marriott, you see due a refund.

My source: Manager within the rooms sid for a Marriott branded hotel.
Old Oct 31, 19, 9:02 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
At least PM (pre-merge), the Marriott policy for all walks (includes non-Marriott Rewards members) was that the hotel had to provide the following:
  1. Find a comparable hotel/room near you.
  2. Pay for the first night (i.e .free to you.)
  3. If needed, pay to get you to the new hotel.
  4. If needed, provide a phone to notify friends/family/co-workers/etc of the hotel change.
Marriott Rewards members (depending on elite level) would get more benefits depending on their elite level. I haven't been walked in years. So I do not know if the above has changed or not. It might be worth ping'ing one of the Marriott Bonvoy Lurkers to provide some clarification on if the above has changed and if so, what are the current walk rules.
flyerCO and KRSW like this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by stitch626 View Post
Either way, in accordance with the standards set by Marriott, you see due a refund.

My source: Manager within the rooms sid for a Marriott branded hotel.
Thank you. After some additional follow-ups with the hotel they did reverse the charge for that night. So it does look like to policy is still that the walked night is comped, even for non-elites.
Old Mar 17, 20, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
No doubt I'm not the first and I definitely won't be the last in this situation.

Hotel I checked into closed today due to the virus. When I checked in last night they were booked to 6 rooms and only 4 rooms for Tuesday night. The hotel has 100+ rooms I think.

Manager called me during the day and told me the place was closing abruptly. He could move me to a Fairfield Inn or TownePlace Suites at the same rate. I got to the hotel to grab my things and found the TownePlace Suites and Fairfield both cheaper than the rate I was booked at.

Is this a "walk"? Does a hotel shutting down due to unforeseen circumstances get them out of the "walk" policy? I asked about comp but was told that due to the situation none is given.

-RM
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:24 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
RobOnLI,

I think we are in a period of time where we need to focus on the good of society and the world as a whole. With that in mind, unless a business is explicitly doing something to take advantage of me I will grant them very wide latitude and not ask for any comp. The hospitality industry will be reeling from The Coronavirus pandemic. While the properties they offered to re-accommodate you at are cheaper, I would let it slide. If the worst thing you experience from the outbreak is you overpaid for a few hotel nights compared to normal rates, consider yourself very fortunate. My two cents....

--Jon

P.S. My daughter participates in a number of professional cultural activities each Spring through her chorus. We had $750 worth of tickets for performances that have been cancelled. While we have requested refunds from the organizations (per their terms), if it turns out they are unable to do so, I am not planning on pursuing it further. E.g. I won't dispute the charges on my credit card.
Tanic, michelin and jtp1947 like this.

Search this Thread