Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Galleria Dallas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Galleria Dallas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Please report this to customer service and specifically mention that they denied you upgrade to the club floor and suites. The two floors below the club floor sound like SPG floors to me, which is not much of Platinum upgrade

I would love to hear what corporate has to say about this.
Yes, please do pursue this. Access to the club is nice but this does not sound like an upgrade to me.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Okijames
It is a nice hotel with a terrific seafood restaurant (not associated with the hotel though so no SP). Not all renovations are complete, but the lounge was recently finished and reopened; It is quite nice. I stay there less frequently these days due to poor upgrade frequency for Plats, and the fact they removed the big workout balls from the workout rooms.
Do you mean The Oceanaire Seafood Room?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:09 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Yeah the Oceanaire is at this property. One of my favorite small upscale chain restaurants. The Galleria Mall is also attached to this property and there are many dining options available other than the Oceaniare within walking distance or thru the mall.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Yes, please pursue this. Relocation to the floors above or below some special floor is non-compliant.

Please do not let your friendship with the GM preclude you from bumping this up.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Okijames
I stay there less frequently these days due to poor upgrade frequency for Plats, and the fact they removed the big workout balls from the workout rooms.

The poor upgrade frequency is still there, but I'm happy to report that the big balls are back.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dingo
Yes, please pursue this. Relocation to the floors above or below some special floor is non-compliant.

Please do not let your friendship with the GM preclude you from bumping this up.
Worry not. I'm one to let a lot of things go - but this one I won't. I think it's just plain wrong.

It appears that there are only 12 rooms on the Club floor - four in one wing and eight in the other. When I asked on my phone call if all those rooms were taken, I was told "No, there are multiple rooms available, but we don't give them as upgrades".

On a one-night stay, I didn't want to get into a peeing match with a very nice GM. However, he was not forthcoming about what the hotel would do about room upgrades and in particular suites.

I will post my CS response after the call.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:02 pm

Unless thr room you got was equal to or better than the Club Floor rooms then clearly this is not "Best Available Room" and I won't even mention select standard suites!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, BA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Unless thr room you got was equal to or better than the Club Floor rooms then clearly this is not "Best Available Room" and I won't even mention select standard suites!
If my memory serves me right, this Westin has 2 levels of higher up rooms, SPG and Club, if I'm not mistaken. I'm basing my recollection on the floor description in the elevators and the fact that you had to use the key card to get to either one of the level. If so, they may claim that Club is a second level up and hence is not available for plat upgrades, akin to a Tower level.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been about two years since I stayed there.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy LTT,
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Yes, the Oceanaire! What a seafood find in the middle of the continent. Great food, bar, and wait staff. The Orlando and San Diego locations are also very nice.

The hotel's restaurant, The 2nd Floor, is pretty good too. The steak-n-eggs breakfast killer, the steak is braised boneless short rib.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy LTT,
Originally Posted by shinbal
The poor upgrade frequency is still there, but I'm happy to report that the big balls are back.
As for upgrades, I am semi-convinced that hotel doesn't have suites. Then again I may just prefer to think that rather than recognize their existence, which would mean I am 0 upgrades for 40+ stays over the last 2 years. Yeah, last year I qualified for SPG Plat on Westin Galleria stays alone. Been spreading the love at other SPG hotels in the area, with better upgrade track records, this year.

Thanks for the note on the balls! I just booked a workout room for next week. This is once instance where the lack of upgrades actually works in my favor. No fear of getting bumped up from the workout room. Hey, are the robes back too? I noticed the workout rooms lost the robes a while back.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by DS-Flier
If my memory serves me right, this Westin has 2 levels of higher up rooms, SPG and Club, if I'm not mistaken. I'm basing my recollection on the floor description in the elevators and the fact that you had to use the key card to get to either one of the level. If so, they may claim that Club is a second level up and hence is not available for plat upgrades, akin to a Tower level.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been about two years since I stayed there.

Ahhh, but the Platinum Benefit is not an upgrade to the next class of room but to the best available room.they would be fulfilling their obligation by upgrading to the best available room ie a Club Room or a better than Club Room if it exists eg super deluxe whiz bang room or a non-Club Level suite if such things exist. Any other policy is against the Ts and Cs
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:41 am

I am currently staying at the hotel and was given the 15th floor without the upgrade. I am a platinum member with over 100K in starwood points. Curious to see what you guys find out about the upgrade.

Dave
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by piwko
I am currently staying at the hotel and was given the 15th floor without the upgrade. I am a platinum member with over 100K in starwood points. Curious to see what you guys find out about the upgrade.

Dave
If you're physically at the property, you should be inquiring! If you feel you were not given an upgrade after speaking with management on site, then you should call customer service.

Were you given access to the lounge?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:25 pm

Guaranteed upgrade no issue

I have recently booked this Hotel with a guaranteed upgrade by emailing the GM. He replied that I would get a response and got the following from the Director of Revenue Management:

Mr. XXXXXXX

Mr. YYYYYY asked that I get back in touch with you regarding your request.

He is happy to offer you the rate a special rate of $199 per night for your stay with a
Upgrade to a Westin Club floor room based on your SPG level.

I would be happy to confirm that for you if you like.
Please let me know.

Thank you and we look forward to your visit.

Regards,

Vici

Upgrades are too important to be left to chance.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 3:24 pm

Yes, I was given access to the lounge. Quite nice at the Westin I have to add.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.