Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Galleria Dallas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Galleria Dallas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2004, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat; SPG Plat
The Westin Park Central is not far from the Galleria location and I think the hotel is a bit nicer (at SE corner of 75 and 635). Friendly staff and frequent plat upgrades. One bad thing - there is no club lounge service in the evenings.

There is also a newer Westin quite a ways north (near 121 and Tollway). I think it's adjacent to a Fazio golf course. I've heard good things about the hotel and the course.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:48 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
beachbum,
you're speaking of Stonebriar Resort, I think located in Frisco, due N/NW of this Westin Galleria.

I tried to book Stonebriar last summer. Was taken aback to find they would not allow over 3 (or maybe it was 4) people in a room. Somehow, there was a very clear prohibition against 5 people, so that left my family (3 kids, spouse and myself) out of Stonebriar. I thought this only happened in Europe. I've never re-looked the property to see if my family could now stay there.

Oh well. The location of this property (speaking of the Westin Galleria again) has so much potential; shame the property itself has not "kept up" with competition.

Don't want to nit-pick this hotel (Westin Galleria) to death, but I suppose you fellow elites have tried the coffee they leave out in the jugs on the club level ? Some of the worst coffee I've ever tasted. Try it some SAT late afternoon after it has sat in those jugs all day.One would think when they bring out those huge cookies in the afternoon that they would also change out that horrible coffee.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Apr 7, 2004 at 5:51 am
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:04 pm

Other SPG recommendations?

So besides the Park Central Westin, can anyone recommend a better SPG alternative? I know the Sheratons are supposed to be mediocre, but their rates are almost half of the Westin Galleria, which sounds decent at best. For example, how would the Sheraton Brookhollow or even the Sheraton DFW compare? It would just be for one night, most likely before a flight home.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pietro
So besides the Park Central Westin, can anyone recommend a better SPG alternative? I know the Sheratons are supposed to be mediocre, but their rates are almost half of the Westin Galleria, which sounds decent at best. For example, how would the Sheraton Brookhollow or even the Sheraton DFW compare? It would just be for one night, most likely before a flight home.

I stayed at the Sheraton Brookhollow one night a few months ago when I had a 7AM flight out of DAL the next morning. I arrived at the hotel at about 8:30 or 9PM. The desk agent got a perfect 10 - welcome, smile, platinum recognition, thanks for your business, checked in, room upgraded to larger king, asked about amenity, and off to my room. He was a textbook example for people you want to run in to.

To be honest, I don't remember if this hotel had a club floor, since I would have had no use for it during my short stay. The room itself was JUST OKAY. It did have hi-speed, for a fee. I was comfortable, though the "sweet sleeper" had not made it there yet. It was, to me, more of what I'd expect from a Four Points. I should note, however, that I paid the hefty rate of $69 for the room - so I think that value far exceeded price paid. For the big question.....with the same parameters, I WOULD stay there again. I was satisfied being there for one night, but the area is far from glamorous. It's on the same road as Love Field, (Mockingbird Ln), about 2 miles from the airport. A friendly and free shuttle goes there. If you judge the hotel on its workers, they're a property of which to be proud.

Other properties: Westin downtown - became a Westin last year. I had a three-night stay there in February. Upgraded to a corner room. There were a few glitches - nothing to get twisted about...but the hotel was not satisfied until I told them I was happy. They did a good job, looking back on it.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by shinbal
I stayed at the Sheraton Brookhollow one night a few months ago when I had a 7AM flight out of DAL the next morning. I arrived at the hotel at about 8:30 or 9PM. The desk agent got a perfect 10 - welcome, smile, platinum recognition, thanks for your business, checked in, room upgraded to larger king, asked about amenity, and off to my room. He was a textbook example for people you want to run in to.
I can recommend that hotel as well if all you need is a place to stay before taking the morning flight. No pretensions, decent restaurant/pub, friendly service, reasonably sound-proofed and the right price for an overnight stay. It is in the middle of nowhere, of course.

As a plat I was given a high corner room with wrap around windows that had an interesting view of the aircraft on final.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:04 pm

So the Sheraton Brookhollow is that close to DAL? I may have to check it out if I can snag a flight into Love Field instead of DFW. (We're talking DAL here instead of DFW, right?) As an alternative, I may take a chance on the Sheraton at DFW if I have to fly in on AA...the Galleria and Park Central Westins just don't sound like they're worth rates that are $169 and up.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 7:52 pm

Bump - any other comments re. alternatives to the Westins in Dallas? I'm headed there later this month.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:09 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
The WESTIN on COIT was the former Sheraton, and is a very nice property. Modern lobby/atrium is impressive. Its convenient if you need to get to downtown Dallas but don't want to stay downtown, and sits on US HWY 75.

Area around this Westin/COIT is undergoing some MAJOR road construction, but its far enough away the noise won't be as much an issue as aesthetics and appearance.

I would urge you not to get too caught up in the negative remarks about the Westin/Galleria. Its still very nice, ultra-clean, extremely function for a business traveler, and the tie-in into the Galleria mall surely overcomes the inherent disadvantages of a freestanding Westin that might be slightly more upscale, IMO. THis one just needs an update from the long ride of the 90s and apparently the last update its had.

I do not in anyway equate this Westin/Galleria with the dogginess of the starwood Galleria/Houston properties. The proximity of the Westin/Galleria to NORTH DALLAS is nice, and because it literally sits adjacent to the tollway, you can be in downtown Dallas in 15min or so from this property as well.

Bottom line - for my [Westin] Money, the Galleria still rules for the Dallas metroplex. Do other cities have nicer Westins ? Yes. Is this the best overall Westin in Dallas ? Is to me.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:01 am

ILUVCITIBANK: Thanks - I appreciate your insights!
Old Apr 17, 2004, 3:26 pm

my final 2 cents

As my thread-opening comments indicated, I was not thrilled with this hotel -- as one poster put it, it is "just ok". IMHO, even with *wood Platinum status, for business statys in Dallas, I think the best hotel HANDS DOWN is the Fairmont Dallas.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AW Gold, MT Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, H5S
I thought it was just me- I had free night award to use and brought along my wife for what I thought would be the 'Westin' experience. I thought I was getting the indifferent treatment because I was using an award (with no indication of status) on it.

The best news- I live here, so I won't be staying there anytime soon
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:09 pm

If this hotel is booked out where else can i be close to this hotel?

I can get a room for $299 pn but would it be worth it?
Old Sep 22, 2004, 2:20 am

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
other close places

If you don't need SPG, there is a Hilton across the freeway, the former Hilton (not sure what it is today) within .5 mile and a Crown Plaza within 3 miles.

If you want SPG, then there is the Westin & Sheraton at Park Central, about 5 miles away.

I'm sure there are other hotels, but these are the only ones I know about.

And I wouldn't pay $299 a night here. period.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Regarding Westin Galleria, is there BF and evening drinks at the exec lounge? Is the lounge open on weekends?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Plat; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ws8n
Regarding Westin Galleria, is there BF and evening drinks at the exec lounge? Is the lounge open on weekends?
Last time I stayed (last month) there was breakfast and I believe they also had evening drinks. Not sure about weekends. Be sure to request a room that does not face the highway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.