Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Late Checkout Policy

We are pleased to accommodate late checkouts upon request and subject to availability. Late checkouts between 12pm and 6pm are as follows:
  • For Deluxe City View, Premium City View, Premium Twin Tower View and Executive Club Rooms - a charge of 50 MYR per hour applies:
  • Westin Suite and One Bedroom Executive Residences - a charge of 100 MYR per hour applies.
  • After 6pm, the full room rate applies.
  • Fees are subject to tax and service charge.
Print Wikipost

Westin Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:14 pm

Res or 2 deluxe rooms

I'm going to book 3 nights in August for 4 people.

Should I choose a residence and hope for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom. Or just book two deluxe rooms.

Edit: should have noted as plat

Last edited by DTHK; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:42 pm Reason: Noted as plat and for 4 not 3 people
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Hi-

Can anyone provide an idea of cab fare and approx. travel time (~8pm) form SZB to the hotel? The hotel website is confusing (the only transportation info provided to/from SZB is the car service which seems quite overpriced)

A google search is surprisingly coming up empty as well.

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by andymo99
Yes, the budget taxi rate was 74.30 MYR from KUL to city. The premium taxi rate was 102.10.

You may be right that the official budget rate from city to KUL is 65. I was fine paying 80 MYR to a reliable driver who was waiting for us as promised very early in the morning.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by mohan12
Hi-

Can anyone provide an idea of cab fare and approx. travel time (~8pm) form SZB to the hotel? The hotel website is confusing (the only transportation info provided to/from SZB is the car service which seems quite overpriced)

A google search is surprisingly coming up empty as well.

Thanks in advance!
From SZB to Westin will cost you around RM35-RM45 for budget taxi which coupon can be bought at the counter right after exit of arrival. If your flight on weekday at 8PM, it should be around 35-40min while on weekend around 25-30min. Hope it helps.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Thank you!

One last thing just for knowledge- are there other taxi options at SZB besides budget taxis? One of my colleagues suggested "Premier Taxis" (not sure if that is a type or company)

If there are other options, can vouchers for all be purchased at the counter?

Thanks again- big help!

Originally Posted by Putra
From SZB to Westin will cost you around RM35-RM45 for budget taxi which coupon can be bought at the counter right after exit of arrival. If your flight on weekday at 8PM, it should be around 35-40min while on weekend around 25-30min. Hope it helps.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by mohan12
Thank you!

One last thing just for knowledge- are there other taxi options at SZB besides budget taxis? One of my colleagues suggested "Premier Taxis" (not sure if that is a type or company)

If there are other options, can vouchers for all be purchased at the counter?

Thanks again- big help!
The last time I am using SZB on April, so I guess its still the same. SZB are not something like KUL airport. While "premier" are widely available in KUL, they are known as limousine. SZB doesn't have Limo service, they are just using public cab but only certain company can queue in the line. Only 2 option, Executive and budget. Both vouchers can be purchased at the counter. Executive taxi are in blue and normally they are using MPV or mini MPV. If not mistaken, its 50% to 70% expensive than budget. I never try Executive taxi before.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium; UA Silver
Smile Nice stay in February

We stayed in KL for three days before our flight out to start our long trip home. We were at the Westin six years ago and it still has its great location, being in the Golden Triangle, as its strongest selling point. The food court in the Pavillion Mall across the street is wonderful. We used suite awards and had a suite, but during our first night there water leaked out all over the master bath floor and we had to change rooms. For some reason the staff member we tried to work with in the Club Lounge to change rooms seemed determined to not move us to another similar non-smoking suite and tried to move us to a smoking suite or to a non-smoking residence suite which is not as nice, and we had to escalate to the Manager on Duty, Mandy. Mandy was great and facilitated our move to the only other available non-smoking suite which also was even on a higher floor.

Breakfast Buffet was better than average and the Club Lounge was very nice and large. Platinum benefits were good with complimentary buffet breakfast and access to the Club Lounge. Hotel has a free shuttle to the KLCC Mall in the Petronas Towers, and the hotel also is a short walk from a monorail stop. Taxi service in KL now seems better and less predatory than when we were here six years ago. Watch out for the long taxi queue at the KL Sentral train station during rush hour - we waited in line for almost forty minutes for a cab. We had no trouble catching a cab at the hotel.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Stayed here for 6 nights, had a bad check-in experience, I was upgraded to an executive room and asked if any suites are available, the front desk agent blatantly said no. I replied "but you haven't even checked anything". He replied by saying that it is a busy week, so I again asked to be moved tomorrow once one comes available or the day after, and I received the same response. So I checked online while I was right there and found several suites and booked one (cancellable later that day). I told him how is it not available when I already have booked one just now?

Suddenly everything changed, a bunch of front desk agents were on the computer doing I don't know what. Someone came and spoke to me while they resolve the issue, They took us to the executive lounge where we received our room keys.

Now I would've been happy to receive an executive room had the front desk agent was honest, but after saying no without even checking the computer, that raised a number of questions.

The executive lounge personnel were better than what experienced at the ground level. I was sick for a couple of days there and the hotel arranged for a doctor to visit to check me out, but it seems no one knew that a doctor visited me, didn't receive any of the "Are you feeling better today?" when we went for breakfast.

The suite looked tired, wear and tear to be seen easily. The basin in the bathroom was one of the most annoying ones, the hotel have installed the tap a little further so you can only place your hands on the edge of the sink. That splashes everything everywhere.

I was told so many times by one employee to comment on tripadvisor, Saying it once was fine, but so many times, I get it already.

All in all, it was an ok stay for a first timer in the area, the location of the hotel is unbeatable, but I always like first impressions, and this hotel didn't deliver.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Checked in for a one night stay and got upgraded to a one bedroom Executive Residence which I think might be the biggest suite I've ever been upgraded to (though not the most impressive).

There's a bedroom with a separate junior suite type area, a hallway, a bathroom with shower and bath, a living room with a kitchen area, a small office room with a kind of daybed and for the wow/ ... factor where you think there's a window to the outside there's actually a door to a room only partly in the aircon with a small table and two chairs and a floor to cieling view of Bickit Bintang.

I'm not a fan of the bed. It feels a bit old and un-Westiny, and the duvet cover is a weird open format where you get the bare duvet cover against you if you're not careful.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
any recent stay report here as spg platinum?

planning my 2nd kula lumpur trip in late july just to ultilize a free night award (from design hotel promo) at st.regis. (i stayed at grand hyatt in my 1st kl trip and was very impressed.)

trying to choose between this hotel and le meridien for another 2 nights (to take advantage of spg triple up promo).

thanks in advance.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I've just stayed here as SPG Platinum. Was on the cheapest pre-paid rate. Upgraded in advance (showing on the app) to a Westin Suite and Club Lounge benefits.

TBH, I do prefer the refurbished Le Meridien. I was there in February and loved its new suite and Club Lounge (which is open both longer for booze in the evening and has a better spread of food for breakfast and dinner).

However, the location of Le Meridien isn't convenient for Tun Razak where I needed to be each day so I tried the Westin for the first time. I'd give the refurbished experience at Le Meridien five blobs on TA. The Westin only gets four. The suite was fine, quite large actually and appeared new enough. It had a separate toilet room in the entrance area for visitors, dining table, lounge and working desk. The bedroom had a nice sofa for lounging on and the bathroom had a shower and bath overlooking the street. It was all good enough quality but I didn't find anything that tipped me over the edge with excitement. In terms of experience for a Platinum upgrade I'd rate the Le Meridien first, followed by the Westin and then the Sheraton which as we know is very long in the tooth now.

I was not excited by the lounge. Breakfast felt meagre compared to the Le Meridien lounge - but you can always eat in the main buffet downstairs (which is itself not as extensive as Le Meridien's). Evening drinks 5.30-7.30pm is an hour shorter than Le Meridien and ensures that anyone who is working will miss it. The food spread is snacky and fine but poor compared to Le Meridien. In seven nights I only made it twice at the weekend.

It's a nice hotel and I'd stay again for the location but I'd love it if they upped the offering at the lounge.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
any recent stay report here as spg platinum?

planning my 2nd kula lumpur trip in late july just to ultilize a free night award (from design hotel promo) at st.regis. (i stayed at grand hyatt in my 1st kl trip and was very impressed.)

trying to choose between this hotel and le meridien for another 2 nights (to take advantage of spg triple up promo).

thanks in advance.
In case it's a factor, LeM KL is also a stone's throw (maybe 300m?) away from StR KL so it'll be fairly easy to move between them. They're both (along with the aloft) at Sentral, so great for getting to/from the airport.

Westin is nearer to KLCC and shopping/food options around Bukit Bintang and Jalan Tun Razak. So it depends on what you're planning to do while there.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:46 am

Westin KL is losing its touch

I stayed here for the third time in about 5 years. The other two stays were 4 and 5 years ago. I had quite positive memories from my previous stays, but this time I was quite disappointed by the Westin KL.

The check-in process was still as chaotic as it’s always been. The check-in agent, “Dass”, was not very helpful, requesting me to wait a minute for him to finish some other business despite having called me over to his desk. He handed me a highly cryptic welcome note from the “GM” that took me a number of moments to decipher (take a look at the pic attached!). Dass didn’t mention any of the Plat benefits — I had no idea where the club lounge was, what time cocktails started (18-20:00), whether Plats receive any complimentary laundry (turns out they probably don’t — but still not entirely sure), what time breakfast was, etc.

I booked a 1 bedroom residence and received no upgrades.

There was no proactive service in the lounge. You seat yourself. You need to approach the staff if you would like a drink, as we were sitting down for about 12 minutes without any service.

In the evening, I realised I had left my power adaptor at a previous hotel. They have no universal power plugs next to the beds. In fact, there are no available power plugs next to the bed. You need to go under the bedside table and unplug the clock. I called the service line requesting a power adaptor — 3 times — and it took them 1hr15m to deliver it. This was a Saturday night.

The breakfast buffet spread was extensive. One of the best I’ve seen in KL. The breakfast was extremely busy, with people and kids everywhere. Despite this, the staff were quite good. Tea and coffee was delivered very promptly.

The internet was quite stable and relatively fast throughout my entire stay. Could hear the neighbour or room above every time they took a shower or flushed the toilet; poor noise insulation for pipes.

Overall, an adequate stay, but the experience could have been drastically better. The location is great, just across from Pavilion and everything in Bukit Bintang — and that’s probably what you’re paying for. The Sheraton Imperial, for example, has a strong hard product in their recently renovated suites, and daily rates of up to half the price of the Westin. I probably won’t return to the Westin KL unless I find a very lucrative rate in the future.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by zzap
I stayed here for the third time in about 5 years. The other two stays were 4 and 5 years ago. I had quite positive memories from my previous stays, but this time I was quite disappointed by the Westin KL.

The check-in process was still as chaotic as it’s always been. The check-in agent, “Dass”, was not very helpful, requesting me to wait a minute for him to finish some other business despite having called me over to his desk. He handed me a highly cryptic welcome note from the “GM” that took me a number of moments to decipher (take a look at the pic attached!). Dass didn’t mention any of the Plat benefits — I had no idea where the club lounge was, what time cocktails started (18-20:00), whether Plats receive any complimentary laundry (turns out they probably don’t — but still not entirely sure), what time breakfast was, etc.

I booked a 1 bedroom residence and received no upgrades.

There was no proactive service in the lounge. You seat yourself. You need to approach the staff if you would like a drink, as we were sitting down for about 12 minutes without any service.

In the evening, I realised I had left my power adaptor at a previous hotel. They have no universal power plugs next to the beds. In fact, there are no available power plugs next to the bed. You need to go under the bedside table and unplug the clock. I called the service line requesting a power adaptor — 3 times — and it took them 1hr15m to deliver it. This was a Saturday night.

The breakfast buffet spread was extensive. One of the best I’ve seen in KL. The breakfast was extremely busy, with people and kids everywhere. Despite this, the staff were quite good. Tea and coffee was delivered very promptly.

The internet was quite stable and relatively fast throughout my entire stay. Could hear the neighbour or room above every time they took a shower or flushed the toilet; poor noise insulation for pipes.

Overall, an adequate stay, but the experience could have been drastically better. The location is great, just across from Pavilion and everything in Bukit Bintang — and that’s probably what you’re paying for. The Sheraton Imperial, for example, has a strong hard product in their recently renovated suites, and daily rates of up to half the price of the Westin. I probably won’t return to the Westin KL unless I find a very lucrative rate in the future.
No picture attached.

Who manages the property? YTL manages the Ritz-Carlton, J.W. Marriott, and two of the Autograph Collection properties. They may even manage additional hotels in Kuala Lumpur. Marriott itself manages the Renaissance.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
No picture attached.
Apologies, I typed this out on my phone and the image must not have made it all the way through. Pic attached.

Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
No picture attached.

Who manages the property? YTL manages the Ritz-Carlton, J.W. Marriott, and two of the Autograph Collection properties. They may even manage additional hotels in Kuala Lumpur. Marriott itself manages the Renaissance.
Westin is not managed by YTL.YTL have 2 more hotels coming up in KL:Edition KL nearby KLCC and JW Marriott near KL Sentral

I do know Westin is owned by the Thai company that owns Intercontinental Singapore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.