Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sanya, Hainan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: *G

Hi everyone,
there was a pooled thread on this back in the old MR forum but it appears locked, so I figured I'd ask with a new one - does anyone have any impressions to share of the NUMEROUS Bonvoy properties in Sanya, Hainan?

There is:

"Central Sanya" properties:
Shanhaitan Resort, AC
JW Marriott Dadonghai Bay

"Closeby" Yalong Bay properties:
St. Regis Yalong Bay
RC Yalong Bay
Marriott Yalong Bay
Sheraton Sanya Resort

and then located a bit further away from the map it seems:
Sheraton Sanya Haitang Bay Resort
Sanya EDITION
Westin Sanya Haitang Bay Resort
Renaissance Sanya Resort
Westin Blue Bay Resort
Xiangshui Bay Marriott Resort

... Needless to say, I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm assuming a lot of these are brand-new while some are older (e.g. people mentioned the Ritz back in... 2013 in a thread I saw), so how does everything compare? Does anyone have any (more or less) recent impressions they could share about any of the properties, or the locations (e.g. the different bays?)?

If there's already a thread somewhere on this and I just missed it, please feel free to merge!

given nothing else, the St. Regis has rooms with their own minigolf/putting green, which I find so hilarious I might just have to book it.

Last edited by Smiley90; Jan 9, 2020 at 10:10 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I really liked the Royal Begonia Haiteng Wan that is attached to Sheraton. The RB had much more beautiful landscaping and pool area. Really gorgeous. So-so service. Problem when we were there was GM was running bother properties at once and there was a bit of chaos. But overall RB was beautiful.

St. Regis Yalong Bay is also gorgeous but less beachy feel.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:38 pm

Looking to visit Sanya, and a bit overwhelmed by the Bonvoy options. Does anyone have recent recommendations?

We are leaning towards the St. Regis, but also read some polarizing reviews about this property.

Additionally, looks the Ritz stops accepting reservations as of this summer, anyone have any idea what's happening with that property?
Old May 9, 2023, 6:01 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Umm, hopefully you can find the old threads. Actually, Marriott has done a great job of having 10+ brands in Sanya. It's really all about which 'bay' u want to stay in. research those on CTrip.
IMO, Yalong is the best beach tourist bay, with golf options.
Old May 9, 2023, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Looking to visit Sanya, and a bit overwhelmed by the Bonvoy options. Does anyone have recent recommendations?

We are leaning towards the St. Regis, but also read some polarizing reviews about this property.

Additionally, looks the Ritz stops accepting reservations as of this summer, anyone have any idea what's happening with that property?
I usually do a 3 day stay at the JW and then a 4 day stay at the St. Regis. The JW gives you the vibes of DaDongHai and then the St. Regis gives you the Asia beach resort feel.

I only went to Sanya because I was locked inside China for 3 years but this would still be my recommendation. St. Regis is a top class resort and JW has a swell lounge.
Jiatong and Smiley90 like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I usually do a 3 day stay at the JW and then a 4 day stay at the St. Regis. The JW gives you the vibes of DaDongHai and then the St. Regis gives you the Asia beach resort feel.

I only went to Sanya because I was locked inside China for 3 years but this would still be my recommendation. St. Regis is a top class resort and JW has a swell lounge.
Is it still mostly Russian tourists or has that changed with the war?
Old May 9, 2023, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS

Thanks for the info!

Another oddity I just noticed is that there are no flexible rates at the St. Regis.... Any idea if this is typical of this property?

For any others that stumble on this thread, anyone have an idea as to what's happening with the Ritz?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 4:42 pm

Ritz ?

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Thanks

For any others that stumble on this thread, anyone have an idea as to what's happening with the Ritz?
Going back to Sanya for 3 weeks in December 2023, havent been there for nearly 4 years, after about 10 winter visits since 2009 ,
We have the first two weeks booked at different Sanya bays (2 of the 5), but also wondering about the Ritz in Yalong ?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jiatong
Going back to Sanya for 3 weeks in December 2023, havent been there for nearly 4 years, after about 10 winter visits since 2009 ,
We have the first two weeks booked at different Sanya bays (2 of the 5), but also wondering about the Ritz in Yalong ?
Ritz and St Regis are right next to each other. If you get benefits due to status then St Regis is a better bet for the breakfast and upgrade possibilities. They are very similar, both nice, big resorts. They can’t compare to Thailand or Vietnamese beach resorts but they are fine. I only went there because I was locked inside China but it appears you were locked out and want to go back.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 7:37 pm

[QUOTE=Smiley90;31931398]Hi everyone,
there was a pooled thread on this back in the old MR forum but it appears locked, so I figured I'd ask with a new one - does anyone have any impressions to share of the NUMEROUS Bonvoy properties in Sanya, Hainan?

There is:

Shanhaitan Resort, AC

St. Regis Yalong Bay
RC Yalong Bay
Marriott Yalong Bay
Sheraton Sanya Resort

and then located a bit further away from the map it seems:
Sheraton Sanya Haitang Bay Resort
Sanya EDITION
Westin Sanya Haitang Bay Resort
Renaissance Sanya Resort
Westin Blue Bay Resort
Xiangshui Bay Marriott Resort

... Needless to say, I'm a bit overwhelmed. so how does everything compare? Does anyone have any (more or less) recent impressions they could share about any of the properties, or the locations (e.g. the different bays?)?

If there's already a thread somewhere on this and I just missed it, please feel free to merge!

new comments December 2023,
adding comments;
- there is a Four points Sheraton economy near the airport area.
-At the JW Dadonghai bay now, the city boardwalk is locked & totally under construction, boardwalk not really what it was 4 years ago. Also, JW EL has breakfast now, so no need to eat breakfast with the grandma herd in the morning. Fabulous, shared pool areas with the Autograph.
- I've been to 3 of the 4 in Yalong bay over the last 10 years, & will finally try the old Sheraton next week, update Yalong bay post pandemic report later.
- Behind the Autograph is Ascott serviced apartments, (Singapore owned) good new pool, 1- & 2-bedroom modern apartments with breakfast. All on Ascott website. (good place for the mother-in-law! vs option of staying at the JW)

Last edited by Jiatong; Dec 12, 2023 at 8:30 pm Reason: Ascott
Old Dec 17, 2023, 2:41 pm

yep

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Is it still mostly Russian tourists or has that changed with the war?
yes the Euro-asia crowd is here. more so in the economy hotels vs the luxury. Noted, they are on the beach with families and security...
Of the 3 hotels this month, 4 tv stations in english, both the RT channels, + CNA- Singapore global + the biased CGTV Beijing global.
Ascott serviced apts had more Singapore channels + CNBC + the RT channels.

Last edited by Jiatong; Dec 19, 2023 at 1:27 am Reason: splng
Old Dec 17, 2023, 3:12 pm

yalong bay update 2023

[QUOTE=Jiatong;35815211][QUOTE=Smiley90;31931398]

There is:

Shanhaitan Resort, AC

St. Regis Yalong Bay
RC Yalong Bay
Marriott Yalong Bay
Sheraton Sanya Resort

new comments December 2023,
adding comments;
- there is a Four points Sheraton economy near the airport area.
-At the JW Dadonghai bay now, the city boardwalk is locked & totally under construction, boardwalk not really what it was 4 years ago. Also, JW EL has breakfast now, so no need to eat breakfast with the grandma herd in the morning. Fabulous, shared pool areas with the Autograph. (Autograph is more for the Gen Z culture)

- I've been to 3 of the 4 in Yalong bay over the last 10 years, & will finally try the old Sheraton next week, update Yalong bay post [QUOTE]

Finally completed all the Marriott Yalong Bay properties, our 3 day stay at the Sheraton resort, Its huge, a good beach, but it's a dated 20-year-old property. two breakfast locations, both ground floor & 2nd floor, ground floor is open to the garden, so might be windy, & or warm. Same food at both is so-so normal Chinese buffet hotel food. Lots of local tropical fruit & bakery options. C-trip has more cryptic Sheraton/food comments. Used 3 expiring SNA's that cleared 5 days out on a booked senior rate, got a 150-meter suite with these SNA's, (Sunday arrival at 2pm) Lots of garden type landscaping all the way to the public beach.
We did our dinners over at the nearby Marriott 'Fish house' it's on the beach part of the Marriott property. Happy hour draft beer (pabst) was only 45rmb for 2 pints. Also couple singers at night from Cuba here, used to be Philippine singers in Sanya, but not this year. Yalong Bay is beautiful but most all hotels are 20+ years old, the newer ones are in Haitong bay.

Sanya tourist cheaters: yep, still here, expect to be cheated by the local taxi folks, even on platform rides, Oh, be careful of the seafood & fruit vendors, prices will double for tourist. Maybe triple during the busy CNY season of chaos...
The big Park Hyatt in Yalong bay at the 'end' of the beach is a Category 6 & also about 20 years old. The Hilton where we stayed in 2009, is unique., but also now 20 + years old. Regis has a weird layout due to the Marina and landscaping. Have fun & enjoy the Sanya tourism culture + the tropical weather, in any of the 5 bays!.

Last edited by Jiatong; Dec 19, 2023 at 11:16 pm Reason: splng

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.