Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Visconti Rome, Italy, [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Visconti Rome, Italy, [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
We completed a three night stay at the Rome Visconti Le Méridien in the first week of December. This was a mix of paid and award. Were there on holiday not work

Check-in

I had request a 10AM check-in. Our flight was early so we arrived at 8:30, and were asked to wait an hour until housekeeping was done. After a long flight, we didn’t mind killing and hour and enjoyed the walk. After an hour we returned, and our room was ready as promised. The front desk staff were great throughout our stay.

Room

We used SNA’s for this trip. Five days before our arrival we received email from the hotel confirming our upgrade. Upon arrival, we found the upgrade was to a top floor terrace suite. The suite had a separate sitting room with a sliding door separating the bedroom. As both of us had a bit of jet lag this separate room was invaluable as it allowed one to get up and not disturb the other. There was also a large bathroom with a sperate rain head shower and large tub.
The housekeeping was top-notch and included a nightly turndown service.

Breakfast

Some reviewers had commented that they disliked the layout of the breakfast area being in the basement and being dark. We had no issue with the location and found spacious and brightly lit.

Neighborhood

We greatly enjoyed being in Prati. We found it walkable to all the sights but was away from the tourist crowds. There were plenty of local restaurants to choose from.

I have included a link to my wife’s blog, the review is about the same but it has some pictures of the room, etc.

You are being redirected...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:01 pm

I am a Platinum Elite with Marriott. This is a category 5 hotel costing 35,000 Marriott points per night for a standard room. If I use only Free Night Certificates (good on 35,000 point rooms), is there any chance to get an upgraded room for a family of 4?

If not, can I use the free night certificates and add some points to get that larger room to hold 4 people?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by guywhocan
I am a Platinum Elite with Marriott. This is a category 5 hotel costing 35,000 Marriott points per night for a standard room. If I use only Free Night Certificates (good on 35,000 point rooms), is there any chance to get an upgraded room for a family of 4?

If not, can I use the free night certificates and add some points to get that larger room to hold 4 people?
My experience here is that the ‘upgrade’ rooms are ‘executive’, but they are way too small for 4 people. It’s tight for two. So unless there are larger “non executive” rooms, then you might struggle to get something suitable ( unless it’s a suite).
I’m giving it one last try next week, mostly because I like the area rather than the hotel itself.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I'm considering staying here in July. Can anyone update the current situation with the heating/cooling units, at least as it pertains to summer? Are they still shutting the AC off at night, or setting it very high temperature-wise, or is each room controlled 100% in the room?

Also, are the showers in most rooms the crappy half-glass thing instead of a full walk-in shower or just a tub/shower with a full curtain or full door/slide? Someone mentioned the half-door setup upthread, and I've simply never understood why that's somewhat common in European hotels. I suffered through it for a week in Athens a few years ago (non Marriott prop).

Also, as a Life Titanium, can you verify that breakfast is free each day in lieu of an arrival gift?
Old May 29, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by catocony
Also, as a Life Titanium, can you verify that breakfast is free each day in lieu of an arrival gift?
if you choose it as your titanium amenity then at any property, breakfast is free each day of your stay....
Old May 29, 2019, 7:00 am

I'm considering staying here in July. Can anyone update the current situation with the heating/cooling units, at least as it pertains to summer? Are they still shutting the AC off at night, or setting it very high temperature-wise, or is each room controlled 100% in the room?

Also, are the showers in most rooms the crappy half-glass thing instead of a full walk-in shower or just a tub/shower with a full curtain or full door/slide? Someone mentioned the half-door setup upthread, and I've simply never understood why that's somewhat common in European hotels. I suffered through it for a week in Athens a few years ago (non Marriott prop).

I was there at the end March/ early April. Centrally controlled heating was still on, no in-room adjustments could be made ( maybe ‘off’, I don’t recall). It was too hot for me, so I had to open the window. They still had winter weight quilts on the bed.
The standard response about heating/cooling is that it’s mandated by govt, ie not our fault. As to the veracity of that, I have no idea.
The breakfast is *ok*, nothing to write home about but worth taking in lieu of the points.
Location is the key advantage of this property. It’s not that great but the location and relatively good value make it more appealing.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:08 am

That really is astonishing on the central air. I've stayed at European hotels that didn't have AC at all and it's miserable in the summer. I remember a big heat wave in Germany in May 1998, when it was well into the 90s F for several days and only into the 70s F at night. Absolutely miserable in the room.

Rates are really cheap in Rome for the first week of August. E$80.00 at the Courtyard, even less the Marriott and two Sheratons out to the west. The Meridian is at E$130.00 a night, but with no AC controls, I'm not going to risk it.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:47 am

That really is astonishing on the central air. I've stayed at European hotels that didn't have AC at all and it's miserable in the summer. I remember a big heat wave in Germany in May 1998, when it was well into the 90s F for several days and only into the 70s F at night. Absolutely miserable in the room.

Rates are really cheap in Rome for the first week of August. E$80.00 at the Courtyard, even less the Marriott and two Sheratons out to the west. The Meridian is at E$130.00 a night, but with no AC controls, I'm not going to risk it.
I’ve not stayed in summer: my only experience has been end of winter/ early spring, so maybe the cooling works ok. Certainly there are individual controls in the room: but on all my stays ( at least 4) , they haven’t worked.
Those other Sheraton’s are way out in the boondocks...there isn’t any value out there, IMO, once you factor in your time getting anywhere.
€130 is a pretty good rate for the Visconti.
Maybe someone else will have better information about the cooling system in summer.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:16 am

I'm leaning towards the Courtyard at 80 Euros a night. I posted in the Courtyard thread, but do you happen to know if the multi-day Rome transit cards include travel on the overground rail lines within the city?
Old May 29, 2019, 9:27 am

I'm leaning towards the Courtyard at 80 Euros a night. I posted in the Courtyard thread, but do you happen to know if the multi-day Rome transit cards include travel on the overground rail lines within the city?
From memory, yes trains within the city are included ( I rarely use them but recall the need to do so during a metro strike and I had one of those 72 hour passes). Of course NOT including the Leonardo Express or anything outside the metropolitan area. They are very good value, IMO, just as much in respect of the time saved by not having to fumble around at a machine as the actual $$ saving, although it does make financial sense if you use it even moderately.
Edit to add: good value when the metro stations are open: Repubblica and Barberini we’re closed for months because of faulty escalators.

Last edited by paolo64; May 29, 2019 at 9:34 am
Old May 29, 2019, 9:31 am

24 Euros for 7 days is definitely cheap.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:19 am

I am staying here now and there was a police officer murdered last night in the Piazza Cavour down the street. Two suspects were arrested in the hotel in the middle of the night and we saw a man arrested right out front early the next morning. I'm not blaming the hotel for this but it is certainly shocking. http://m.ilgiornale.it/news/2019/07/26/carabiniere-ucciso-a-coltellate-fermate-due-persone-in-hotel/1732148/
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I am staying here now and there was a police officer murdered last night in the Piazza Cavour down the street. Two suspects were arrested in the hotel in the middle of the night and we saw a man arrested right out front early the next morning. I'm not blaming the hotel for this but it is certainly shocking. "Ho ucciso io il carabiniere": uno degli americani confessa - IlGiornale.it
I saw that on the news: very shocking , I’ve spent a lot of time in Prati and never so much as a hint of violence; always felt totally safe day and night.
The first reports said those responsible were immigrants from North Africa, later changed to Americans. But just shocking and tragic regardless of who is responsible
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by paolo64

I saw that on the news: very shocking , I’ve spent a lot of time in Prati and never so much as a hint of violence; always felt totally safe day and night.
The first reports said those responsible were immigrants from North Africa, later changed to Americans. But just shocking and tragic regardless of who is responsible
according to the news, they were a couple of teenagers from California, were tracked on video back to the hotel, and confessed. The knife used to kill the police officer was hidden in the ceiling. Very sad, the police officer just came back from his honeymoon.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC*Elite, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Are there any more recent trip reports from this hotel. Have a stay coming up in two weeks, and wondering if the air conditioning situation is addressed in any way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.