Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Lido Chengdu, China [Master Thread]

Old Nov 8, 04, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG RA, Marriott Gold

Typing this at Sheraton Chengdu Lido on a Cash and Points(1200 points plus US$25) stay. Warm welcome by the front desk and was upgraded to a Executive Deluxe Suite(59 sq meters), which has a seperate living room with a dinning table. Seperate marble bath and shower bathroom. A very comfortable bed and a walk-in closet. I guess there are at least 28 similar style suites along with unknow number of Deluxe, Executive, and Ambassador suites.

There was no Platinum Amenity offered because I was told I got upgraded, I didn't complain. Perhaps I should for a few SPG points!

The executive lounge is on the top floor, with breakfast in the morning, afternoon tea, and cocktail at night. Traffic in Chengdu is nothing to write home about. It's almost impossible to get anywhere in the city during rush hour. Taxi drivers here are among the worst I have experienced, worst than Shanghai and Beijing. Running red lights and driving aginst traffic are the norm here. I would not want to be caught on a bicycle here!

Local favorites can be had in the small eateries right across the street from the hotel. I just had lunch for less than $1 US with a soda and I am stuffed! It's not the cleanest and it's definitely not for everyone.

Overall, a very nice property and polite staff. Highly recommended if you are coming to Chengdu, China.
Old Dec 5, 04, 3:47 am

Sheraton Lido Chengdu is apparently the nicest 5-star hotel in the city, and I would agree. The only other "international" property is the Crowne Plaza, which I visited, and I would prefer the Sheraton over this one.

Checked in on the pay-for-2-nights-get-3rd-night-free rate. Am SPG Platinum, and I saw online the day before that I had been confirmed an upgrade to Executive Deluxe Suite for the 3 nights. Upon checkin, offered the Platinum amenity right away.

Room is comfy, separate living room with a dining table (4 chairs). Walk-in closet. Bedroom has kind bed with chair and ottoman, work table. Bathroom is quite large with separate bathtub and shower. The heating seemed to be on overkill all the time, so I just turned the unit off. It was about 10 degrees outside, but the "cold" didn't bother me at all.

Platinums are eligible for breakfast in the 35th Floor Towers Lounge or 2/F Cafe Nova. I tried both, and I would go for the Cafe; they have a more extensive selection. Tried the Celestial Court Chinese Restaurant one evening, and food was quite good. Menu was VERY extensive and good selection.

Overall, a very pleasant stay.
Old Feb 24, 09, 12:44 am

Are there any updates for this property? We'll be staying at this property this weekend on points and hope to get an upgraded room.
Thanks
Old Feb 24, 09, 2:26 am

Programs: HHonor Gold;Hyatt Diamond;SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by doesun View Post
Are there any updates for this property? We'll be staying at this property this weekend on points and hope to get an upgraded room.
Thanks
I had a C&P stay in this property last Nov. I had only corporate preferred status at that time. They upgraded me to the SPG preferred floor. The room is nice for a cat-2 property. Plats will be offerred the upgrade to the Executive Floor.(I did ask about this, and got this answer) No idea about the suite upgrade, but I perceived that they will treat Plat. very well.

The property is not in the very center of the city. However, the taxi is very cheap there. It never cost me more than RMB 20, except for the roundtrip from/to the airport(RMB40 or 50 each way, don't remember).

The food in Chengdu is very good. Have a nice weekend.
Old Aug 10, 09, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wow 9 years and no comments on the Sheraton Chengdu yet?! Anyone have any feedback on this one? Considering a stay early next year.

Thanks!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 10, 09 at 6:12 pm Reason: Mod note: found a recent thread and merged
Old Aug 10, 09, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by BobbySteel View Post
Wow 9 years and no comments on the Sheraton Chengdu yet?! Anyone have any feedback on this one? Considering a stay early next year.
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
The room is nice for a cat-2 property. Plats will be offerred the upgrade to the Executive Floor.(I did ask about this, and got this answer) No idea about the suite upgrade, but I perceived that they will treat Plat. very well.
Definitely a nice hotel for a Cat 2 property. Cheap as heck rates though, I think I paid like $70 a night there. I stayed there about 5 times a couple years ago and as a Plat was upgraded to a Suite every single stay. The only thing that varied was the number of fresh roses in the vase on the living room table. I was also granted Club access on each stay, which was a fairly decent Club with free booze and pretty decent food.

Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
The food in Chengdu is very good.
Mmmmmm, Hotpot!!!!
Old Aug 11, 09, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Great, thanks for that gregorygrady! Sounds good enough for me.
Old Aug 11, 09, 2:22 am

Also had a suite upgrade during my 2 nights in June.

All in all a good property. Bargain for the price if you are Platinum. They advertise instant rewards (incl. upgrades). Don't remember the details but I thought the 'prices' were reasonable.

We pre-arranged airport transfer due to late arrival.
The choices are (all one way):
BUICK ( 3 seats) - RMB370net
PARK AVENUE (3 seats) - RMB430net
AUDI A6L (3 seats) - RMB460net

There is a new Sofitel in Chengdu (plus a Kempinski I think...) if you need the newest hotel in town.

Traffic is worse than in Beijing/Shanghai.

I forgot something in the hotel. Although the hotel did not contact me, they were willing to mail it (domestically) to me upon request. Arrived in Shanghai within 24hrs.

Would go there again any time.

Ham
Old Aug 11, 09, 3:44 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
I have stayed at this property many times during the last few years and was always upgraded to a suite. Staff is very friendly there.
Old Aug 11, 09, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hamurabi2008 View Post
There is a new Sofitel in Chengdu (plus a Kempinski I think...) if you need the newest hotel in town.
The Kempinski is pretty nice as I stayed there as well during my trip. Crowne Plaza is located right in the middle of the city on the main street. I stayed there a few times as well. It had a great location but all the rooms were VERY tired and in need of refurbishment. I also stayed at the Holiday Inn (way outside the city, in Century City), which was the nicest Holiday Inn I've ever stayed at. Right next to the Holiday Inn they were building a brand new Intercontinental (which must have opened about a year ago), which along with the Sofitel is probably one of the nicest hotels in the city now. The only problem with the IC is it's poorly located, unless you nee to be in Century City. I have no idea where the Sofitel is located.
Old Sep 27, 09, 12:18 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Air Asia X begin cheap flights to Chengdu from KL from 23rd November...tempting

Last edited by VanMan; Sep 27, 09 at 12:25 am
Old Mar 5, 10, 4:04 pm
Community Director

Can anyone compare this property to the Intercontinental? I have top tier status in both.
Old Mar 5, 10, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC, this hotel was featured in a some Travel Channel special on the Chengdu/Sechuan area of China. I think it was the Samantha Brown series and it first aired shortly before the Olympics, so it would have been made in 2008. I've never tried, but there's supposed to be a way to get further info on the featured properties and activities on the Travel Channel website. If you search there, you might find pictures, including of their good views. I vaguely remember that the hotel looked good on TV, better than a typical Sheraton, and I think they had some kind of a special tea bar or tea service in the lobby. (I remember this because I was supposed to visit Chengdu shortly after the earthquake and never made it.)
Old Mar 8, 10, 12:42 am

I can't compare the Sheraton Chendgu to the IC Chengdu since the IC was still a few months from completion when I was there last, but the Sheraton is of course nicer than your average USA Sheraton, with a MUCH better location than the IC. The IC is way out at the edge of town (in Century City IIRC). The Holiday Inn Century City right next to the IC is THE nicest Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in, so I'm pretty sure the IC is quite nice since it is built/owned by the same person/group.

The Sheraton is right in the middle of Chengdu. The Sheraton Lido always seems to give Plats upgrades to a nice Corner Suite. And it had a pretty decent Club Lounge that always seemed to be fairly empty when I was there. IIRC you can choose a stuffed panda bear as your Plat Amenity here, which makes for a nice/free souvenier to take back and give to somebody.
Old May 6, 10, 8:03 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
stayed there last week for 2 nights. All and all very happy with my stay on the Exec floor. Only SPG gold so didn't expect anything special. Nice check in with a glass of real fresh orange juice, a decent room if obviously not brand new but very clean and a nice fruit bowl and a nice sized exec lounge for breakfast. I never made it for cocktails as too tied up outside
All in all I came away with a positive impression (staff seemed very friendly and warm) and would certainly stay there again and I often stay on exec floors in China/Asia these days so feel they did a good job.

Search this Thread