Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Cape Town, South Africa [Master Thread]

Westin Cape Town, South Africa [Master Thread]

Old Jun 27, 09, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Butler is still advertised, but not offered!
Damn, I was looking forward to butler for my upcoming Thanksgiving.
Old Jul 19, 09, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by MIKESILV View Post
Ah yes Americans overseas expecting turkey on Thanksgiving (assuming their hosts has even heard of it)

Perhaps you should have tried the ostrich it is a tasty "'red meat" sometimes indiscernable from steak with much less fat.

mike
Well, turkey as a general dish (i.e., not one reserved for special occasions like Christmas and Thanksgiving) is not unknown most places -- but we were happy with the steak. (We had tried ostrich earlier -- we turned it down that time not because we disliked it, but rather because we wanted to try the steak.)

However, speaking of Thanksgiving "overseas", last year when we were in Rio over Thanksgiving, our "host", the J. W. Marriott on Copacabana Beach, put on quite a traditional spread for Thanksgiving (turkey, dressing, ham, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc.), and from my ear, more than half of the guests enjoying it were not speaking with an American accent. The hotel made quite a thing about Thanksgiving, and apparently used it successfully as a marketing ploy as well as catering to the ex-pat and traveling Americans present in Rio.
Old Jul 19, 09, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Counsellor View Post
Well, turkey as a general dish (i.e., not one reserved for special occasions like Christmas and Thanksgiving) is not unknown most places -- but we were happy with the steak. (We had tried ostrich earlier -- we turned it down that time not because we disliked it, but rather because we wanted to try the steak.)

However, speaking of Thanksgiving "overseas", last year when we were in Rio over Thanksgiving, our "host", the J. W. Marriott on Copacabana Beach, put on quite a traditional spread for Thanksgiving (turkey, dressing, ham, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc.), and from my ear, more than half of the guests enjoying it were not speaking with an American accent. The hotel made quite a thing about Thanksgiving, and apparently used it successfully as a marketing ploy as well as catering to the ex-pat and traveling Americans present in Rio.
We dined at Jemimas
http://www.jemimas.com/home.php

Located in Ouutshorn ( in the heart of South Africa's ostrich farming region) and had a entree which consisted of a trio of springbok (listed as venison on the menu) ostrich and steak with various selected sauces after a while was unable to tell which meat was which... great meal incidentally.

mike
Old Sep 21, 09, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Life, EI Concierge, BA Silver
Just looking back through the threads - any current experience of the airport transfer- is it still free to plats?

Never been to Cape Town - but have spent quite a bit of time in Jo'burg (so appreciate certain safety issues for SA) what's the area around the hotel like? Thanks
Old Oct 18, 09, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by keatm1 View Post
Just looking back through the threads - any current experience of the airport transfer- is it still free to plats?
Any response to this? I am booked in mid November. This will be my first stay as a Platinum.......
Old Jan 9, 10, 3:46 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /LH /DL /SQ /TG /AA /QF
Originally Posted by arir View Post
Any response to this? I am booked in mid November. This will be my first stay as a Platinum.......
Any newer reviews on the Westin?
Old Jan 31, 10, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
BEWARE of your valuables !

Stayed here twice in the past month. Earlier in Jan for 2 nights and then again, the last 3 nights of the month.

While room is nice, the consistency of the staff, especially housekeeping leaves a lot to be desired.

On my first visit, the housekeeping staff (male) kept trying to come into the room despite a "Peace - Do not Disturb" sign on my door. He knocked several times, and then the operator called to check if they can do turn down service. Hmm. Shouldn't the sign be an obvious clue?

Then a friend had left her lipstick in my room, so I put it beside my bed sidetable so that I will remember to bring it to her next day. Well, after they cleaned the room. That disappeared too! I searched everywhere. Under the bed, bathroom.. nothing!

The staff is also inconsistent in leaving bottles of water in the room. Sometimes I have it, most times I don't.

But this time is really disturbing..

I went to the room safe, and realised that the safe was unlocked. I distinctly remember closing and locking it. But what is more worrying is that the contents in the safe seemed to have been moved around. My passport wallet was moved from the top shelf to the bottom shelf.

!!!! I just realised that all my euro $$ are gone and so is one of my cc!

Will update you .. guys later while I call hotel security!
Old Jan 31, 10, 3:11 am

Don't forget this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...cape-town.html
Old Jan 31, 10, 8:41 am

Programs: Platinum Ambassador, SPG Gold, Krisflyer, Accor A-Card Platinum, Hilton Honours Gold, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post

Oh boy. That's awful. Good luck with resolving it.
Old Jan 31, 10, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
That's awful!

The old thread was about theft of money not locked up, but the theft of something in the room safe is headline news.

Hope it works out for you.
Old Jan 31, 10, 1:23 pm
Community Director

That's extremely disturbing. File a police report along with contacting hotel management.
Old Feb 3, 10, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
That's extremely disturbing. File a police report along with contacting hotel management.
I did. Both the hotel management, as well as police report.

UPDATE: I received an update today from the hotel GM. He said that they cannot conclude anything about the 'supposed' theft.

Well, it happened and I am not imagining it. Ok, so I 'may' have left the safe unlocked.. But I honestly do not remember...Still, the door was closed, the closet door was closed. But someone opened it, or at least checked to see if the door was unlocked, took things out and that's it.

The hotel has offered to reimburse me the missing cash as a gesture of goodwill without admitting fault. I have agreed to that. I have never accused the hotel nor blamed the hotel for the loss. And I thank and commend them for their actions in investigating this , and resolving to close the matter.

========
I must say however, I was more distressed when I bumped into an (unnamed) FTer who was almost going hysterical that I posted what I did here. The FTer said that they know the hotel, they know the staff and that if it was anyone else other than me, they would poo-poo the post and demand that the post be removed. The FTer insisted that they know that the staff would not do such a thing and almost accused me for conjuring this whole matter up.

Hmm. Really? Does this FTer really know what human nature can do when tempted? Would I do something like this and go through the hassle of a police report, stress and missing my appointment that day? I did not demand that the hotel do something, nor demanded that the hotel pay me back. I would just let the investigation take its course.

What this FTer did not even know was that while they were ranting and raving while I was consulting a client over coffee. Imagine how calm and collected that I had to be when this FTer kept asking why on earth I would do such a thing, over the post. And they said that the reputation of the hotel is in 'shambles' if other people read my post. Er, imagine what that FTer had done to my reputation in front of my client with their crazy rant and accusations...

This FTer obviously mentioned this to the hotel management as I have been asked if I would remove my post from this thread..

So FTers.. would you want me to remove this post about my experience or do I have a legitimate right to post this ?

Edit: Ok. Not quitting.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 3, 10 at 1:30 pm Reason: Update
Old Feb 3, 10, 12:33 pm

I think this sort of information is important to post, but I'd have to say that if I left money not under lock and key in any hotel anywhere in the world I'd expect it to go missing. But the hotel should be able to determine who entered the room and help the police in their investigations. If they are not prepared to do that then I'd consider them as being obstructive to the investigation of the matter.

But why on earth would you be motivated to quit FT because one Flyertalker was boorish?
Old Feb 3, 10, 3:40 pm

I spent three nights here (possibly coinciding with Guy Betsy) last week, and it was a really fantastic stay. I did C&P and was upgraded without a peep from me to an Executive Club/Junior Suite room--and I'm a lowly gold.

Breakfast was a nice perk on the 19th floor each morning--and we found the staff super friendly up there. Parking was easy and cheap--R35/day (in/out), I believe. Considering this was a C&P stay it was phenomenal value--rates were otherwise like R2500/night.
Old Feb 3, 10, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: confidential

What this FTer did not even know was that while they were ranting and raving while I was consulting a client over coffee. Imagine how calm and collected that I had to be when this FTer kept asking why on earth I would do such a thing, over the post. And they said that the reputation of the hotel is in 'shambles' if other people read my post. Er, imagine what that FTer had done to my reputation in front of my client with their crazy rant and accusations...

This FTer obviously mentioned this to the hotel management as I have been asked if I would remove my post from this thread..

So FTers.. would you want me to remove this post about my experience or do I have a legitimate right to post this ?
Your content may appear legitimate. But, as a site user with moderating functions, you should have been aware that the spg forum has 2 openly disclosed corporate representatives from starwood preferred guest for which one of them is stationed where starwood has stationed its financial and admin fuctions. There are also numerous undisclosed spg/starwood hotel who do monitor the forum but not necessarily to benefit flyertalk.com users.

perhaps you may have bumped into one of these site users who have undisclosed interested with the property.

Search this Thread