Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection - Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 16, 2:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
Property has a $20 resort fee.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 3, 16, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Category 7.

Marriott press release:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/02/aut...osta-rica.html

"Exactly like nothing else, El Mangroove, located off the Gulf of Papagayo, is a sustainable boutique, lifestyle resort that boasts a modern design which incorporates Costa Rica’s natural beauty through wood and water elements along with bamboo, stone and natural furnishings that merge all indoor and outdoor spaces. The hotel has 85 luxurious guest suites outfitted with every imaginable amenity, a pool stretching over 130 feet with sweeping views of the Gulf of Papagayo, live music and events in the evenings, on-site bicycles and a state of the art spa and fitness center that include outdoor “wild-fit” areas and multi-functional exercise decks.

Spanning across 17 acres, and situated on 150 meters of beach front, El Mangroove is just 20-minutes from Daniel Oduber International Airport in Liberia, making it the closest beachfront resort to an international airport in Costa Rica.

El Mangroove also features two unique and dining options on property. MAKOKO is the central restaurant located off the lobby serving breakfast and dinner with a farm-to-table and ocean-to-table inspired menu. MATISS is the oceanfront beach restaurant surrounded by sand on a teak deck with a laid-back atmosphere and a delicious Fresh, casual and contemporary menu."

Looks like a rebrand; has this on the property's website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

"A casual, luxury, boutique hotel surrounded by forest, beach and mangrove. El Mangroove was awarded by Condé Nast Johansens 2016 Awards for Excellence in the “Best Waterside Hotel” category, and in 2015 as “Best Newcomer.” In 2015 the hotel also received a 4-star rating by Forbes Travel Guide 2015, as well as the highest ranking in the Certification for Sustainable Tourism (CST). The 17 acres property embraces 150 meters of beachfront space, a 130 ft pool with 5 private cabanas, a spa, a gym, two on-site restaurants, and 85 bohemian-chic suites. Perfect mixes of wood and water, alongside contemporary linear architecture, natural furnishings and subtle splashes of color make it evident that true indulgence is actually found in simplicity. Guests can find paddle-boarding escapades, bicycles to explore the neighboring funky town, yoga sessions to reenergize, or kayaks to venture into the Gulf of Papagayo."

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Feb 3, 16 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 3, 16, 4:22 pm

Interesting Choice

I have a five night stay at the JW Marriott Guanacaste next month booked on points, which is also a Category 7. The JW grounds definitely look nicer, but the El Mangroove is all-suite and is closer to the airport. Anyone stay at both or have any opinions?

Edit: I just noticed that there's a $20/day resort fee at the Mangroove but not at the JW.

Last edited by avatexrs; Feb 3, 16 at 5:23 pm
Old Feb 3, 16, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avatexrs View Post

Edit: I just noticed that there's a $20/day resort fee at the Mangroove
Where did you see that on the website? I didn't check but it would be interesting to confirm.

Also since right now it's not listed as an official 'resort' by Marriott, although that could be it just got added to the portfolio & the official Marriott website hasn't been updated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 3, 16, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Where did you see that on the website? I didn't check but it would be interesting to confirm.

Also since right now it's not listed as an official 'resort' by Marriott, although that could be it just got added to the portfolio & the official Marriott website hasn't been updated.

Cheers.
I dummy booked a stay on points and it showed the fee plus tax. No comparable fee at the JWM.
Old Feb 4, 16, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avatexrs View Post
I dummy booked a stay on points and it showed the fee plus tax. No comparable fee at the JWM.
Ok, I created a wiki noting the fee. Wonder what it includes?

Cheers.
Old Feb 4, 16, 4:56 pm
Community Director

For those who like to try two properties, the praised Andaz Papagayo is a 40 minute drive away. I had been thinking to combine the Andaz and JW one of these days, but the Mangrove is much closer to the Andaz.

Perhaps this is its prior identity: El Mangroove by Enjoy Hotels

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 4, 16 at 6:16 pm
Old May 30, 16, 8:00 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Doing a Costa Rica trip with the family in August. We are doing 3 days at the beach and need to choose between the Mangroove and JW. Price is the same. I've got a 10 and 7 year old. And leaning towards the JW but wondering if there are any recent experiences.
Old May 31, 16, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ghia74 View Post
Doing a Costa Rica trip with the family in August. We are doing 3 days at the beach and need to choose between the Mangroove and JW. Price is the same. I've got a 10 and 7 year old. And leaning towards the JW but wondering if there are any recent experiences.

Mangroove has a $20/day resort fee if that matters to you. If you do stay there, please do a trip report as it would the first one we have on Mangroove.

Cheers.
Old May 31, 16, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ghia74 View Post
We stayed at the JW in February. It is very family friendly. Great pool and beach. No experience with the other place. We have stayed at Punta Islita. That place is WONDERFUL. All activities are included in daily rate-everything including zip lining etc. We loved both places.
Old May 31, 16, 11:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Mangroove has a $20/day resort fee if that matters to you. If you do stay there, please do a trip report as it would the first one we have on Mangroove.

Cheers.
I've got a 5 day stay at the Mangroove next week. I chose this over the JW because it's more boutique and food looked better and more affordable.
Old May 31, 16, 1:55 pm

Cheers.
I called and learned that kids under 12 are free. Factor that in, and the agent gave me a $247/night prepaid stay including breakfast buffet for all of us, I jumped on it. Even with the resort fee it was better than I could get at the JW. I hope we enjoy it as much as Mr. Vker did the JW, and I look forward to adding my trip report when its over.
Old May 31, 16, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OsoJoe View Post
I've got a 5 day stay at the Mangroove next week. I chose this over the JW because it's more boutique and food looked better and more affordable.
Please do a trip report after your stay. We don't have one yet for Mangroove.

Cheers.
Old Dec 21, 16, 8:24 pm

Any trip reports out there? Also curious to know if anyone received an upgraded room via gold status?
Old Mar 19, 17, 10:46 am
Community Director

Also interested in a trip report, whether stand alone or compared to JW Guanacaste.
Old Mar 19, 17, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Also interested in a trip report, whether stand alone or compared to JW Guanacaste.
We enjoyed our stay. The rooms are very nice, the bedrooms are air conditioned and separated by a slider to the Living Room which is not. The shower had a nice rain head. The pool is long and shallow. Not very fun for kids unless the just want to lounge around. The beach is not great but that's more a function of being in the gulf. We did use the kayaks which are included in the resort fee. The breakfast I got included was very good. Overall the food was good there. Glad it was since there is not really another option that does not involve driving. So I can't compare to the JW but my research showed it was similar. Nice place to relax but not much else besides the kayaking.

Search this Thread