Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
No updated info on parking from me, but the New GM has reduced the benefit of Free Buffet for plats on the weekend, to Continental Buffet. You can buy up to the hot food for $2 a day more, but the restaurant manager and staff said they were incredulous at the staff meeting the day before this new policy came into play. They suggested complaining, as they didn't think it was right either. Now I can afford the $2 and don't really care, but I don't want to be nickeled and dimed. Raise rates by $2 a night, absorb the cost somewhere else, but don't pull silly crap like this. You just end up pissing off your regular guests who in the past chose your hotel over nicer options because of the benefits they receive.
Lovely. I'll definitely spend the extra $2.00, but you're right. Just absorb the cost someplace else.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum
What's the gym like at the Sheraton Ottawa (and how does it compare to the Westin and Marriott gyms, if you're familiar with those)?

I normally stay at the Westin, but given the construction noise and the fact that the hotel is sold out for at least one night of my stay, I'm exploring other options.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Renovations at the Westin Ottawa look great!

I was upgraded to a Junior Sweet, with the addition of new door is really a one-bedroom suite. The bathrooms in these XX01 suites have been enlarged and are very nice. Full complements of amenities in the bathroom unlike many other *wood hotels these days.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Any updates on the parking situation at the World Exchange Plaza?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:49 pm

*bump*

Anyone been through Ottawa lately? Any new parking tips for the Sheraton? Are we allowed overnight at WEP again?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lardiop
*bump*

Anyone been through Ottawa lately? Any new parking tips for the Sheraton? Are we allowed overnight at WEP again?
The "no overnight parking" sign is still there. I suspect it's just there as a deterrent but I still haven't risked it myself because my house is only about a 15 minute drive away. On my last mattress run stay, I went home to bed, then came back in the morning for the free breakfast.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
Renovations at the Westin Ottawa look great!

I was upgraded to a Junior Sweet, with the addition of new door is really a one-bedroom suite. The bathrooms in these XX01 suites have been enlarged and are very nice. Full complements of amenities in the bathroom unlike many other *wood hotels these days.
I'll second that. The 'junior' suite (don't know about the 'sweet' part) is really spectacular!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by ajnaro
I'll second that. The 'junior' suite (don't know about the 'sweet' part) is really spectacular!
Got upgraded to one the other night, really nice spot.

The sign is still up at the World Exchange Plaza claiming no overnight parking. Attendants are on duty until 3am Saturday morning so they can nab people as they leave the late movie upstairs.

Best spot I've found for weekend parking is over here between Slater and Albert. Its a quick walk across the Mac Bridge to the Westin and a 2 minute walk to the Sheraton. Technically in and out privileges are not permitted, but you can prepay your entire weekend on one ticket at the automated machine. Works out to $18.00 until 6am Monday morning.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
*bump*

There is also free overnight street parking on the weekends in front of the Sheraton...
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta-Plat, *wood-Plat, Fairmont-Premier, Hilton-silver
Renovations include Westin Executive Club?

The website now lists Westin Executive Club as a dinning amenity (http://www.thewestinottawa.com/ottawa-hotel-amenities). Does this mean they put in a lounge with the renovations?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by azebedee
The website now lists Westin Executive Club as a dinning amenity (http://www.thewestinottawa.com/ottawa-hotel-amenities). Does this mean they put in a lounge with the renovations?
No lounge in late Oct 2009.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:56 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I was there last month (June). No lounge and no talk of Westin Exec Club to this Platnum.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
s.

Best spot I've found for weekend parking is over here between Slater and Albert. Its a quick walk across the Mac Bridge to the Westin and a 2 minute walk to the Sheraton. Technically in and out privileges are not permitted, but you can prepay your entire weekend on one ticket at the automated machine. Works out to $18.00 until 6am Monday morning.
Thanks for the tip! Only thing was I had to get up at 5:30am and moved my car to the byward lot. Wasn't sure how the civic holiday monday would be charged at that lot. So I went to the byward lot and saw that it was free for the Sunday and a few other cars had not paid either so I left it there. Picked the car up a few hours later and no ticket. $12 for Sat-Mon, nice.

The hotel had 2 of the elevators down this past weekend. We walked down the stairs from 17 to 4 and then out the emg. exit and a quick walk to the cinema entrance on the mezzanine.
Monday morning I saw the Schindler truck outside, supposedly they could not get anyone to come out on the weekend.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Sheraton not what it used to be?

I have 6 - 8 stays in Ottawa a year and tended to stay at the Sheraton - closer to where I need to be (not that the Westin is that far away), consistent upgrades to club floor wood floor rooms, lounge access, and previously helpful and more personal service. Makes up for the smaller pool and fitness center and the dated (despite renos) rooms. The WTC parking when I have to stay over a Friday night doesn't hurt, either (noticed the signs but risked it last time - no problem).

Hadn't stayed there for about 9 months (other organizations booking and paying for the rooms), but stayed there on a Friday after meetings a few weeks ago.

Approached the front desk - young person behind it stares at me.
I smile.
"I'd like to check in."
"Yeah."
Had my dl and credit card ready to hand over. She processes it.
"Which room am I in?"
"Huuummmph!" Sigh. "It's on there." She slides the key packet over to me and I look at the room number.
"Do any of the wood floor rooms happen to be available?" They're less stuffy (less stale carpet).
"There are only a few of them."
"Yes, I know."
"No, I think they're all taken."
"Oh. Really?"
"Ok, I can check. They're all taken. Here's your breakfast voucher." (The lounge is closed Friday night and weekends).
"Oh, and can I have one of the hors d'oeuvres vouchers also?" There is a whole stack of them on the desk immediately in front of her.
"Oh, I guess there's still time. Ok. Here."
No "can I help you". No "welcome back to the Sheraton".
I took the key packet and headed up to my room. Needed two keys this trip (and had two people on the reservation) - only one key in packet.
Went back down to the front desk to get another key. "Ok, I guess I can make you another one."
Asked if she was new there - "No, I've been here two years!" she said indignantly. I replied, "so, yes, you're new then."

Snacks and cocktails in the bar - really slow service, had to ask for menus, ordered a beer. Waitress brought it, put it down on the table, began to walk away, turns back - "oh s*%^, I forgot to bring a glass. Sorry". Ok, am 50-50% about the glass and wouldn't have mentioned it, but accepted it. She explained that the bar that she usually works at doesn't serve glasses with beer. But at least she was cheerful and friendly, and was helpful when asked.

Different staff on at breakfast. Service cheerful, but much less attentive than I remember. Did someone forget to change the sign and this is now a Days Inn?

I think there's been a GM change. It wasn't hard to tell that something was different.

Since we were staying over the weekend, moved to the Chateau Laurier on Saturday. A whole different experience, service wise.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
IMO, the front desk staff are all so-so, with the exception of the one fellow.

As for the Sheraton ground floor lounge, I avoid it like the plague even if I have a coupon for free hors d'oeuvres. The resto for breakfast is better, though not by much...

I did hear from the Club lounge attendant that they were planning to renovate the lounge. It was on hold for a while but looks like they may start it up again. (By the way, the service from that guy has been consistently above-par. ^ )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.