Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I was just there this last weekend. Pretty much concur with Braindrain.

There is wireless though--same price $10.95. Shows as datavalet if I recall correctly but comes up with Sheraton page.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by Braindrain
I stay here very often. No suite upgrades as the only suite is the Presidential (or whatever it's called) suite.

As a Plat, usually upgraded to SPG floors (16,17) which include free local calls, bottled water, and access to the lounge. Not always guaranteed the SPG floors as the hotel is often quite full. However, access to lounge is guaranteed.

They've started a trend where the lounge is closed starting Thurs now (instead of weekends). The trade-off is you get coupons for the breakfast buffet (good ^) and for dinner h'ors d'oeurves (bad ).

As for rooms, they did a mini-renovation about 5-6 years ago where they changed the beds (to Sweet Sleepers), some of the furniture, and carpets. However, it still looks dated. One good and more recent renovation to rooms is the addition of a digital thermostat to control temps. (Yes, I'm serious.) I think it's all rooms as all the rooms I've stayed in have had them (which is quite a few). Internet is wired and no wireless option. Cost is $10.65/night ($9.95 + taxes).

Service, overall, is quite good.

Enough info?
Thanks, sounds like I should have booked at the Westin tbh.

I hear there is only valet parking as well. Google maps shows a few lots within walking distance, I'll probably just park there instead.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lardiop
I hear there is only valet parking as well. Google maps shows a few lots within walking distance, I'll probably just park there instead.
If you happen to be staying on a weekend, the World Exchange Plaza across the street from the Sheraton has free underground parking on Saturdays and Sundays.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by CP@YOW
If you happen to be staying on a weekend, the World Exchange Plaza across the street from the Sheraton has free underground parking on Saturdays and Sundays.
Super, I'm arriving on a Friday night. They allow overnight parking?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Thanks, sounds like I should have booked at the Westin tbh.

Yes. Personally, I would've chosen the Westin. Makes even more sense when the temperatures drop.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Super, I'm arriving on a Friday night. They allow overnight parking?
Yes, and if you enter on Friday night and don't go out again until Saturday, Friday night is free also. I always park at World Exchange Centre when I stay at the Sheraton on the weekend. Just be certain to be out before Monday morning.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:16 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
As someone who has lived in Ottawa, my two cents is to go with the Westin just based on location. The location of the Westin can't be beaten - smack in the centre of town in walking distance to parliament hill, inside the rideau centre, university of ottawa right around the corner, museums nearby,etc... The 97 bus from/to the airport is also extremely convenient (and most of the time quicker than a taxi).

The Sheraton is actually in the midst of downtown Ottawa, which is OK if you're doing business there during the day. Just be aware that after 5PM (or on weekends), that part of town becomes a ghost-town, with not much around. Most of the restaurants downtown are either around byward market or further down bank street.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by GVA
As someone who has lived in Ottawa, my two cents is to go with the Westin just based on location. The location of the Westin can't be beaten - smack in the centre of town in walking distance to parliament hill, inside the rideau centre, university of ottawa right around the corner, museums nearby,etc... The 97 bus from/to the airport is also extremely convenient (and most of the time quicker than a taxi).

The Sheraton is actually in the midst of downtown Ottawa, which is OK if you're doing business there during the day. Just be aware that after 5PM (or on weekends), that part of town becomes a ghost-town, with not much around. Most of the restaurants downtown are either around byward market or further down bank street.
Ya I lived in Ottawa for 5 years, and the Sheraton is definitely in a dead zone after rush hour is over. Absolutely nothing to do without walking a fair distance or taking a bus on the transitway.

The Westin is attached to the Rideau Centre (major shopping mall) and the Mac Bridge transitway station. You can take a bus from there to literally anywhere in town. Parlament Hill and the Market (social centre of town in the evenings) is right across the street.

Thanks for the parking tips dibby and CP@YOW.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:43 am

2 night stay this weekend at the Sheraton Ottawa. Booked using the recent 50% off promotion for $109 a night, Standard Room, 1 King.

Upgraded to what the desk agent called the 'Executive Floor' which was really just one of their 2 Club Floors. Staff was quite friendly and provided vouchers for 2 for the Breakfast Buffet both mornings and h'orderves for Saturday night. Room was like other posters in this thread have mentioned, a bit dark and definitely in need of some renovation.

The buffet was surprisingly good and I didn't end up using the Saturday night voucher.

The World Exchange Plaza parking worked out amazing. Beautiful well lit facility with 24/7 access through a small door on the west side of the building. I don't know who would think about using the valet service at the Hotel on a weekend...

This was my first stay as a Plat and my first stay using my new MBNA Starwood Mastercard. I really cleaned out on the points this trip. Around 7000 points once you include the 1st stay 5000 bonus from the Mastercard.

Definitely wouldnt pay more than what I did, even for a free upgrade to a Club room.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Supply and demand, my friend. Similar could be said about many other locales... NY, anyone?

On another note, good to hear your stay went well.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, SPG Platinum
Guestrooms Renewal Process

Hello. SPG.com says about the Westin Ottawa:

"The guestrooms renewal process is expected to begin in January 2009. The first rooms will be available in mid February 2009."

Has anyone stayed in the "renewed" rooms? Are there any suites that are renewed?

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
No, but I have a few stays coming up over the next few months... I will be contacting the GM about getting one of renewed rooms.

BTW I love the Sheraton Ottawa... cheaper than the Westin most every night, although no upgrades, the breakfast and Hors devours (can never spell that right) really make the value of the stay worthwhile.

Staff there is also fantastic and accomodating.

d.

Here are some photos from the SPG website for the new rooms at the Westin...

Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
My experience with the Sheraton is that I often (>75%) get an upgrade.

I concur that the rate is often less than that of their cross-town cousin ^ - the Westin, the rooms are not as elegant as at the Westin (matter of personal preference) and the breakfast and the hors d'oeuvres are well worth it ^ , especially when the lounge is closed and one gets coupons to the hot buffet.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by YYZHNL
Hello. SPG.com says about the Westin Ottawa:

"The guestrooms renewal process is expected to begin in January 2009. The first rooms will be available in mid February 2009."

Has anyone stayed in the "renewed" rooms? Are there any suites that are renewed?

Thanks.
I was there last week and asked if I could get into a new room (having read the same thing on SPG.com) and was told new rooms come on-line mid-March now.

It's a great location, the lobby is new, it's attached to a mini-mall of sorts (I didn't venture in), room service breakfast was hot, good and on-time, and service was quite friendly. That said, rooms are in dire need of updates!

And they mean it when they say you need to call down 20 mins in advance for your car!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Parking will likely be an issue there until the new convention centre opens in spring 2011.

The attached mall is downtown Ottawa's largest mall.

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I was there last week and asked if I could get into a new room (having read the same thing on SPG.com) and was told new rooms come on-line mid-March now.

It's a great location, the lobby is new, it's attached to a mini-mall of sorts (I didn't venture in), room service breakfast was hot, good and on-time, and service was quite friendly. That said, rooms are in dire need of updates!

And they mean it when they say you need to call down 20 mins in advance for your car!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.