Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

J W Marriott Anaheim, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD

The city of Anaheim has announced a new J. W. Marriott will be built in their city.
The JW Marriott Anaheim would rise 12 stories with 466 guest rooms, ballrooms and meeting rooms on a 2.8-acre dirt lot near Katella Avenue and Clementine Street, within walking distance of Disney’s theme parks and the Convention Center.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jtp1947
The city of Anaheim has announced a new J. W. Marriott will be built in their city.
The JW Marriott Anaheim would rise 12 stories with 466 guest rooms, ballrooms and meeting rooms on a 2.8-acre dirt lot near Katella Avenue and Clementine Street, within walking distance of Disney’s theme parks and the Convention Center.
Already mentioned in the hotel opening/closing sticky. 2018.

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
What's odd is that the JW Marriott site is part of the failed Anaheim Gardenwalk shopping mall. The guests staying at the JW won't be enough to resuscitate Anaheim Gardenwalk. So there will be new a 4-star hotel attached to a largely vacant mall.

The Orange County Register has an article about the hotel and the tax breaks for the developers: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/a...otel-city.html
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Looks like a Feb 2020 opening date as per the LA Times...and just 9 minutes from Disneyland.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story...land?_amp=true

JW Marriott is coming to Anaheim in a big way. The brand’s first Orange County site set to open in February is an 18-minute walk or 9-minute drive from Disneyland, adding a luxury site to Marriott’s footprint outside the Magic Kingdom.

A room with queen-sized beds at the JW Marriott, Anaheim Resort.
(JW Marriott, Anaheim Resort)The hotel, which is a new build, will have 466 rooms, including 19 suites with designated quiet floors; a rooftop bar and lounge; fitness center and outdoor pool; and a yoga/zen retreat room “for welcome respite from nearby attractions,” according to a news release Monday. And there will be an activities program for children 4 to 12 years old. Rooms will cost $200 to $500 a night. The site at 1775 S. Clementine St. also is less than a mile from the Anaheim Convention Center.

Reception area at the JW Marriott, Anaheim Resort, the first JW site in Orange County, and just 9 minutes from Disneyland. It is scheduled to open early next year.
(JW Marriot, Anaheim Resort)

The restaurant at the JW Marriott, Anaheim Resort.
(JW Marriott, Anaheim Resort)

The bar and lounge at the JW Marriott in Orange County that's set to open early next year.
(JW Marriott, Anaheim Resort)

Marriott already has quite a few hotels in the area, including Courtyard by Marriott Anaheim Theme Park Entrance, which is across the street from Disneyland; the Anaheim Marriott, less than half a mile from the theme park; Anaheim Marriot Suites, Courtyard by Marriott Anaheim Resort Convention Center and others. These are listed among 48 “good neighbor” hotels listed on Disneyland’s website.

Disneyland Resort’s own accommodations include Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, starting at $586; the Disneyland Hotel, starting at $445; and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel, starting at $339. Prices don’t include tax, according to the website.

Old Aug 20, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The Anaheim Blog published this article:

"JW Marriott Anaheim Resort Opens Today" (August 19, 2020)

There are many interesting details. It's worth reading if you have any interest in an Anaheim/Disneyland stay. Here are the first three paragraphs:
The JW Marriott, Anaheim Resort, the first 4-Diamond hotel in Anaheim since the construction of Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel, opened for business today.

The property was previously scheduled to open in March of this year, but was delayed due to the pandemic-induced statewide economic shutdown that closed the Disneyland Resort.

The JW Marriott boasts 466 rooms, which include 19 suites. The rooms are 380 square feet in size – significantly larger than a standard hotel room – and include an expansive bathroom with large walk-in shower, stand-alone bath tub and vanity. The rooms also have barn door closets; king-bed rooms have sofas with trundle beds.

bizum likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW, during the current CV-19 era:

https://whattoexpect.marriott.com/snajw

David
bizum likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Valet parking only at $40 a night. However, I don't see a resort fee on a random date in October.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
I'll definitely stay there at some point, but my initial reaction was how cookie-cutter it looks. I watched a walkthrough on YouTube too. It looks like a generic luxury hotel that could be anywhere in the world, rather than one so close to Disneyland. I would have thought they'd embrace the theme park aesthetic more or had theming of some sort. But there's no generic luxury hotel or high end Marriott in the vicinity so maybe this was the way to stand out.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Wayne Kao
I'll definitely stay there at some point, but my initial reaction was how cookie-cutter it looks. I watched a walkthrough on YouTube too. It looks like a generic luxury hotel that could be anywhere in the world, rather than one so close to Disneyland. I would have thought they'd embrace the theme park aesthetic more or had theming of some sort. But there's no generic luxury hotel or high end Marriott in the vicinity so maybe this was the way to stand out.
I like Marriott but generic is sort of their thing. I realize there are some exceptions but not a lot. They do their thing and it's pretty consistent from property to property. Like McDonalds but a step-up.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I wouldn’t say the generic thing is limited to Marriott. The swan and dolphin at Disney world were Starwood branded. Granted the outside of the hotels are well themed and iconic, the insides are imo hotel anywhere. When in your room you would have no clue you are at Disney or downtown Chicago.

the new jw bonnet creek is similar in that it’s cookie cutter jw brand.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I wouldn’t say the generic thing is limited to Marriott. The swan and dolphin at Disney world were Starwood branded. Granted the outside of the hotels are well themed and iconic, the insides are imo hotel anywhere. When in your room you would have no clue you are at Disney or downtown Chicago.
I have my beefs with it, but the Dolphin/Swan are certainly unique. There’s the Disney shuttle, the amazing proximity to the boardwalk and boat to EPCOT, but even more memorable is the lobby and bar. It doesn’t evoke Disney at first but is something unique/special. Hope this JW can do the same...
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Just completed a one-night stay here; wanted to try it out as a possible nice place for future Disney trips. Booked a Griffin Suite; got an upgrade to the Presidential Suite. As others have mentioned, the hotel is generic JW-nice, but could be anywhere.

Pros:
- Good customer service, friendly associates throughout.
- Good build quality and nice materials used in common areas and room.
- Relatively convenient location for freeway access, Disney proximity, and extensive (when out of COVID) shopping and dining at GardenWalk.
- Clear description on the "what to expect" page regarding COVID closures, so no surprise to find executive lounge and main restaurant closed.
- Although the website said it was closed, the rooftop bar opened starting yesterday. We didn't have time to check it out; had we known it was going to be open we would have arrived sooner to be able to visit and have a couple of cocktails. It's a good sign that things are starting to come back to life.

Cons:
- Shockingly bad soundproofing in the room. We were in the presidential suite on the 10th floor, and the Anaheim resort district is practically a ghost town. Still, we could hear every vehicle that drove by like it was just outside the windows. When life picks up again, especially with the late-night crowds at the GardenWalk just below, this is going to be a problem.
- Like most full-service Marriotts after COVID, with the lounge and main restaurant closed they just offer points in lieu of breakfast. There is a JW Marketplace with Starbucks coffee and pastries on the ground floor, but you have to pay. Seems like a no-brainer to offer $15pp there until the main restaurant and executive lounge open up.
- Parking is valet-only at $40 (!) a night. That being said, the valets were attentive, efficient, and friendly.

The end result is that we enjoyed it but won't be in a huge rush to go right back. The much older Marriott by the convention center actually has more character, more diverse F&B outlets, and better soundproofing. Plus, their presidential suites feature a pool table, which is always a big hit with my kids. Still, it's nice to have another good option in the area and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to future visits if the price is right.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Here now. Marriott Titanium. Booked a regular room and received a... regular room with a view of the freeway. Quite a bit of freeway noise. Didn't get to see what the upgraded theme park views looked like, but the park is shut anyway; we can see it on a satellite.

Chose $10 F&B credit but biggest pet peeve is that there is no documentation of any menus of their F&B outlets other than by "checking them out" at the front desk. Also, the no breakfast for elites policy is chintzy when they have a F&B outlet that sells breakfast. It's basically a violation of the terms at this point.

Barn doors are annoying, but everything else about the room is high class, at a true 4.5* level. The one bathrobe for a two-person occupancy is an oddity. The lack of blackout achieved by the curtains is another miss. The inability of the room temperature to go below 67 will bother some people, especially at this level of luxury.

The hotel has no microwaves to lend or use on-site. If your DoorDash comes a little cold, you can blow dry it, however.

Visited the club lounge just to see the views and it had been given over to a corporate event. It was catered like a club lounge would be, though.

Overall, a pretty cool spot, but not enough here to jar me loose from my preferred property down the road: Hyatt Regency Garden Grove.
Old May 12, 2021, 2:25 pm

Gold Elite. Stayed here about a week after the reopening of Disneyland. Booked a regular king room and emailed the manager before the stay with a request for a theme park view upgrade. Upon arrival asked for theme park view upgrade, was offered one in a room with two queens, turned that down and was offered an accessible room with theme park view plus balcony (one of ~10 rooms with a balcony) and accepted that. The view from the balcony was great. I will echo the comments that the blackout curtains and soundproofing could be better but I was overall very pleased with the property. The Italian restaurant on the second floor was open for breakfast despite the website saying it was closed, I found the breakfast quite good.
​​​​​

Last edited by Startedfromthebottom; May 20, 2021 at 6:30 pm
Old May 21, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Am I to understand that elites are not receiving breakfast at this and most properties due to COVID?
Is this COVID or is this property not providing breakfast to elites period.

I'm out of the country right now and all the hotels we are staying at are giving breakfast to elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.