Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Rotterdam Marriott - Netherlands [Master Thread]

Rotterdam Marriott - Netherlands [Master Thread]

Old Jul 26, 19, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E50K;HH Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
We stayed at the Rotterdam Marriott for 3 nights, in late April, during our mini-rtw trip with a stopover in Rotterdam. The first night, we stayed in the Executive Room with M Club lounge access,(paid with cash) the next two nights on Marriott Bonvoy rewards in Superior room ( Gold level) We negotiated at check-in, paid a little bit extra in cash and get to stay in the same Executive room which included complimentary breakfasts in the restaurant. The M lounge includes wine, snacks, and beverage. During the evening we dropped in and munched on cheese & crackers. Pretty basic, but quality foods Staffs at the receptions were super friendly. One of the staff, I believe the Assistant Manager, even gave us a Keukenhof ticket ( left behind by a guest ) on the day we travel to Lisse for the tulip festival.
We prefer to stay here, rather than the Hilton, because of the convenience of the Centraal station just across the street and good treatments
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:27 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
We spent three nights at the Rotterdam Marriott in early October. Hotel location worked well for us as just outside the central train station where we arrived at from AMS. Hotel rate was around 130 euro per night, which was OK but not amazing.

Room was a bit dated, but spacious and we had no issues. Staff was as well friendly, however we did not have many interactions with them. This was our fist time at an M Lounge and we thought it was fine, however not very different from other Marriott lounges we have visited. Food was enough to make a meal out of if one so chooses. Also breakfast in the lounge was quite good.

The hotel gym was relatively updated and had several cardio machines and a selection of free rates to use.

Some pictures from our stay: https://www.thetravelingexpats.com/r...rdam-marriott/
Old Mar 30, 21, 6:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Location: AMSTERDAM = one of those attic homes with steepstaircases of death
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Lightbulb Marriott RTM during covid19 - NOV2020

A bit delayed but i wanted to share some pictures of the Marriott Rotterdam.

This hotel is located across from Rotterdam Centraal railwaystation, which is a major bus, tram and metro hub. It has direct links with Amsterdam Schiphol airport, London St,Pancras via Eurostar, Antwerp & Bruxelles Belgium with IC Direct and Paris France with Thalys. The Marriott is favourably located for the Doelen concerthall, tasty restaurants at Chinatown (west-kruiskade) and around the corner from the citycentre "Coolsingel". Witte de With straat entertainment district is a 15 min walk along the water from Kruisplein.

We had a staycation last november 2020 when hotels and their restaurants were still allowed to be open in unison for a sit-down dinner.
Alas at the moment the Dutch government decided that now only take out is allowed.

We booked this stay via their website, there was this special offer of stay+dinner in their 1* The Millén restaurant. There was also a cheaper offer with their ground floor bar/bistro serving also as their dining outlet. Although restaurant the Millèn is located in the building, it is not operated by the hotel, but you can still sign the bill to be put on the hotelfolio. This is their website: https://restaurantthemillen.nl/en/

We had to email our chosen staydates and request how much the upsell was from an executive room to a junior suite. We tried to inquire about the executive suite but both of them were already taken. Eventually the upsell to the junior suite was an additional €35. Maybe it was the upsell trigger but we got a room with a nice view on the 11th floor facing south and west. This faces the Calypso building (spotted the infamous couple that likes to watch television in the nude), Erasmus MC hospital, Euromast tower, Marconiplein studenthousing, bustling Chinatown and post-war Groothandelsgebouw.

The M club executive lounge was closed, there was no alternative offered of a drink voucher or such. Maybe because we were lowly silver or the junior suite is excluded from normal M club priviliges. The ground floor has a lobby bar/bistro and a small convenience corner called Wundermart. Cheaper is the small Albert Heijn supermarket on the ground floor of the Calypso building or for more adventure try the Amazing Oriental supermarket in Chinatown.

The staycation offer

The Covid19 service letter

Seperate letter of declaration for local guests: no boozepartys and no trendy lachgas "Nitrous oxide" allowed!

Lobby bar/bistro - masks enforced outside dinning outlets

Menu of lobby bar/bistro

And now on to the room, please note that we got a renovated room, on their website you will still see rooms offered with the old decor!

Left: refurbished - Right: old muck

Elevator with flooraccess by keycard

Facing south - desk with two sanitizing wipes as welcome gift

Closet space in entry hallway

Bathroom has a window to show off if you like

Facing from entry hallway into bathroom - minibar was empty

Looking towards entry hallway - this room has a connecting door

Seperate shower with good waterpressure

Amenities from l'occitane and acca kappa

Floorplan of level 11 - this junior suite is located on the map in the lowerleft corner - on the upper part of the map is the presidential suite (that faces north and Rotterdam Centraal railwaystation)

This is not Nespresso ! Illy is actually nice too

No reading materials in the room due to chance covid19 surface contacts except the staple Marriott literature

These are all the standard TV channels

These are the rest of all the TV channels

Normal operation for the Millèn restaurant

Lobby bar/bistro leaflet

Laundry pricelist

And the views, quite good to make a time-lapse video provided the lights are off so there's no glare

Left window faces south, right window faces west.

Facing west towards Groothandelsgebouw - the premier suites and offices is actually offering a more residential stay in terms of space

Facing soutwest towards Chinatown, Euromast and Erasmus MC hospital

View on the (Red) Calypso building from the bathroom and southern window - the aforementioned couple hadn't started their show yet.
Left of Calypso you can partial see the triple Rotterdam Towers and the Erasmus Bridge

And as a bonus for those armchair travellers on Flyertalk, some pictures of the food of the Millèn restaurant.
It was ok, not wow to me. My partner found the service lacking as there was no menu or written explaination. After half a year i can't tell you what we've eaten. Tempo was fast because after 20.00 it is forbidden to serve or consume alcohol due to Dutch government covid19 restrictions. The rest of the crowd were locals getting sloshed fast. To summarize, I have had tastier food at other Rotterdam michilin starred restaurants like Joelia (Hilton Rotterdam), Fitzgerald and Parkheuvel.

The Millèn restaurant is on the R- floor (actually level 2) facing the railwaystation

Savoury nibble

Amuse

Bread presentation

First course - darn why didn't the restaurant have a written explaination of the courses so i could snap a picture of it to remember what we have eaten!

Second course

Third course

Fourth course

5th course

6th course, actually 7th we skipped the cheese

and yes unfortunately no pictures of breakfast because the other half wanted to flee back to home....

Conclusion:
Location can't be beat, the room was clean, reception friendly, mask enforcement, restaurant the Millèn so so.
dcmike likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Mar 30, 21 at 9:30 am
Old Mar 30, 21, 7:37 am

i stayed there a couple of years ago. Valet parking took my car for drive (tesla p100d) and damaged my rim. I could show them the exact route they had driven including the speeds (man it was fast). They were ashamed and handled the fallout very well!
Overall it s nice hotel with friendly ppl
Old Mar 30, 21, 8:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Great photos, HadesNL - thanks for posting!
HadesNL likes this.
Old Mar 30, 21, 9:27 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
@hdejongh Wow that's a shocker! The parkinggarage is actually next door underground and only several turns away. Amazing that they managed to joy ride it in the centre city! Was de damage resolved by a third party (their insurance company) or was it handled by their own management?

@dcmike Most welcome, i thought it was time for an update on this thread. I don't know if i'll be staying here again soon as there is another Marriott affiliate property in Rotterdam called the Slaak (tribute collection) for me to try out.
dcmike likes this.
Old Mar 30, 21, 9:39 am

they solved it with points at the end the repair wasn't that expensive... I want to stress out they really took care of it in the correct way and "gingen door het stof"

the detour they took

nldogbert and HadesNL like this.
Old Mar 30, 21, 1:36 pm

@hdejongh: that's an amazing detour to the nextdoor parking, they thought to test the milleage on the battery i guess whilest showing off
Good to hear that the hotel went above and beyond, some hotels with valet service tend to deny any responsibility of what so ever.
Old Mar 30, 21, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by HadesNL View Post
@hdejongh: that's an amazing detour to the nextdoor parking, they thought to test the milleage on the battery i guess whilest showing off
Good to hear that the hotel went above and beyond, some hotels with valet service tend to deny any responsibility of what so ever.
well i showed them the same screenshot that did finish the conversation pretty fast
Old Mar 30, 21, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Diamond
Thanks for the review HadesNL - bedankt!

I stayed there when it was still a Westin and recall the rooms were rather small. Since then only stayed at the Hilton, would consider this Marriott if I ever stay in Rotterdam again (not very likely since no relatives there anymore).
HadesNL likes this.
Old Apr 3, 21, 1:39 pm

@frankvb : graag gedaan!

Indeed the hotel started as a Westin, then became independent as the Millenium hotel and now is part of Marriott.
i remember vaguely that during the Westin hotel times to standard rooms were all located on the lower floors with no view at all except to the wall of the next door building.
Old Apr 3, 21, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HadesNL View Post
@frankvb : graag gedaan!

Indeed the hotel started as a Westin, then became independent as the Millenium hotel and now is part of Marriott.
i remember vaguely that during the Westin hotel times to standard rooms were all located on the lower floors with no view at all except to the wall of the next door building.
At least when I stayed the room was at a high level (I was probably SPG Gold or Plat) and had a view towards Kruisplein.
Old Oct 4, 21, 10:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, One World Emerald, Marriott PPE, Nordic Choice Club Platinum
Here now - as others have pointed out - great location. Right in front of the Central Station - direct trains to Schipol at least every 30 minutes. Hotel is just like any other Marriott - generic and bland. Was upgraded to a junior suite - which is basically just a larger room, situated in the corners of the building. Comfy bed and large bathroom with skyline view of Rotterdam. There is a Illy coffee-machine and an empty fridge (which is great). There is a small sofa, basically only fits one person comfortably. As well as a table and a desk. However, I find it strange that they don't have a proper sofa or seating, since the room has lots of space. Old style A/C blowing directly towards the bed - might be careful with that.

The blinds/curtains are useless.....room gets very bright in the morning - which is quite annoying. Was told breakfast would be served till 10:30 AM. When I came down 10:10 it was closed. Breakfast ends 10:00 AM sharp. Oh well. BTW, elites get complimentary breakfast at Millens since the lounge is close. In addition to that you can choose between the 1000 points or the bar credit.

Just like most Marriott's, the M Club is closed due to "government restrictions", which is a lie. If Hilton can have its lounge open, why can't Marriott? This seems to be the case in nearly every city in Europe. Same excuse. At least they provide a Happy Hour service in the bar downstairs from 1730-1930. You'll get a plate of cheese/cold cuts and a selection of housewine/beer and soft drinks.

Service range from lazy and indifferent to great and attentive. The strongest asset of the hotel is definitely the location, everything is just a short walk away. Room is comfy. I wouldn't have any issue staying here again - but I do think I will try out the Slaak the next time I visit.

Search this Thread