Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Madrid Marriott Auditorium Hotel & Conference Center - Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Cat 4. Exec lounge open on the weekends. 4 floors , 839 rooms , 30 suites

Press release:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/01/mar...rid-spain.html

"Conveniently located for Madrid-Barajas Airport, the hotel is the third Marriott Hotel in Spain and is the flagship brand’s largest hotel in Europe. This contemporary conference hotel is 6 km from the Madrid-Barajas Airport and 22 km from Buen Retiro Park in downtown Madrid.

In addition to free airport shuttles and an auditorium for up to 2,200 people, the hotel offers 2 restaurants, 3 bars (including a terrace bar) and an outdoor pool. Other amenities include a business center, 4 tennis courts, and a fitness area with a sauna and an indoor pool."

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...erence-center/

Cheers.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I'm going to use my Cat 5 certificate there this weekend. Rarely can one find a marriott with an exec. lounge under Cat 5. Any idea how you call up the free shuttle to pick you up at the airport?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trekker954
I'm going to use my Cat 5 certificate there this weekend. Rarely can one find a marriott with an exec. lounge under Cat 5. Any idea how you call up the free shuttle to pick you up at the airport?
Have you gone to the hotel's website? There are information on shuttle schedule right under transportation tab.

The website link is right above your post provided by our wonderful Sharon.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Have you gone to the hotel's website? There are information on shuttle schedule right under transportation tab.

The website link is right above your post provided by our wonderful Sharon.
I had totally missed all those Shuttle pdfs on the right side of the tab. Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:41 pm

My February 2016 review

I was kind of on the fence whether or not to review this hotel because my stay was not the norm, or at least I hope not.

The good. (I was using my Cat 5 certificate) As a Platinum Premiere guest, I was pleased to have guest services send me an email days before my stay. They were going to put me on the Executive lounge floor (floor 3) in a suite for my one night stay. These rooms were also close to the lobby (many reviews in the negative, state due to the size of the hotel some rooms are quite a long walk). I was very pleased with what I was going to be given considering I was basically only staying in the hotel and not going into town during my one night stay.

My flight was delayed a couple of hours. I found my way out to the bus area. (tip - walk all the way to the left (terminal 4), pass all the large bus area and then you will see where the hotel buses stop towards the right. It is out of view and the signs are not very good. There were only a few of us who boarded the Marriott bus. It was about a 15 minute drive.

Check in went smoothly and again, the gal said I was assigned a nice room. As I pretty much had to walk through the lounge, I stopped for water and some cheese/bread. They had crackers also with some unidentified toppings (I passed on that). The Concierge was very nice and friendly. I asked where the pool was and was told its closed for a month. There was no mention of this on the website and I packed a bathing suit and like to swim for exercise - very disappointed.

My room was beautiful, very modern and comfortable. The carpet squished under me as if it had never been walked on or not often. Very clean. I rested for a few hours but then was starving. I had looked out my window and saw numerous SWAT type vehicles, hmmmm???

By now 6 pm, I headed back to the lounge, but found the same exact offerings and was told this Marriott does not put out any hot hor dourves and just whats out all day, except now beer and wine is offered. I was told about Champions or the Atrium bar for dinner, or wait until 7:30 for the buffet.

I headed down to champions. As soon as I reached the lobby, it was incredibly busy and noisy. People were very dressy. Papparazzi everywhere. I headed over to Champions, only to be stopped by police and told I cannot go in. I asked if it was a private event, and they repeated, you may not enter. Okey dokey. I walked through the Atrium bar but there were no seats. I headed back to the elevator and saw a table set up for people registering for something called, GOYA. I returned to the lounge, got a glass of wine, more brie and asked the concierge what the Goya was and explained I was not allowed into Champions. She didn't speak English well and had a hard time explaining what GOYA was. Eventually she pointed to the TV that had a movie. I said, Oh, its equivalent to our Oscars. She shook her head. I goggled it and sure enough it was.

By 7:30 I was famished and although do not like to eat this late (true American Gal), I headed to the buffet. Now the lobby was red carpet down to paparazzi, main news programs, who are you wearing, give us a twirl and whatever else goes on at "The Goyas", Penelope Cruz and her handsome husband. I make my way through in my jeans and pullover sweater only to find ALL DOORS locked for the buffet. I cannot get close enough to any staff at check in to ask. I go up to my room and call down only to be told, for "today", we open at 9. UGH. I return to the lounge for more brie and more wine.

I go back to my room and go to sleep around 10 with my alarm set for 8. Around midnight my entire room and thumping along to the music from downstairs. by now, I guess the awards are handed out and the after parties start and they start below me somewhere. The music did not end until 05:00 a.m. But the worse was, obviously there were some celebrities and/or VIPS on my floor, I believe right across from me and they had quite a party in their room starting at 3 am until 5. Around 3:30 or so, I stuck my head in the hall to ask them to quiet down, but was met with glaring bodyguards staring me down. I put my finger to my lips, as in shhhhh, but what could I do. I knew there was no point in calling down, these people were important, more important than me for sure. Likely most of the rooms were guests from the Goya event. I wasn't about to change rooms that late. The music stopped by 5 a.m and the floor partyers quieted down by 5:30. I slept from 6 - 8. I wish I knew who was on my floor that required body guards and who could be so rude as not to care about other guests who may be trying to sleep on their floor.

I honestly think the hotel should have mentioned this event was going to occur and offer me a room far away. I specifically told the person who initially wrote to me, I wouldn't be leaving my room during my stay.

I hadn't heard from the guest services gal who initially wrote to me, although I shared my stay details with her. So I didn't hesitate responding to Marriott when they send those surveys out.

Almost immediately I finally heard form the guest service gal (I'm pretty sure that was coincidence) who apologized saying the Goya event was not suppose to interfere with any guest services and offered me to return again some day on them.

I then heard from someone regarding my online survey, who just apologized and said they have now posted on the website the pool is closed.

I'm really NOT a complainer, but I couldn't get anything to eat for dinner which is a big no no. And before anyone suggest room service, this had to be the smallest room service menu I've ever seen. The only thing familiar to me on the menu was a burger or chicken fingers.

The return shuttle to the airport was fine and not overcrowded as others have said. More people boarded to return to the airport just to catch the metro into town.

Bottom line, staff is very nice there, the hotel is clean and at least my room seemed very newish.

I'm sure if the Goyas didn't happen the night of my stay, I would have a completely different review. All I needed was some decent food in my belly, but I was absolutely prevented from this. So it is what it is. I'm glad I finally remembered I had earplugs and got a good two hours sleep

it will be interesting to hear what others think.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

As you're chatting w/ your friends back in America. So last night I was w/ my new BFFs, Penelope & Javier

The hotel should have been more proactive in handling things, but it's a new property & also probably first time handling the Goyas.

I would have called to the front desk re: the party across the hallway, or - if you know what the room # was - call every 5 minutes, don't say anything & just hang up (ok, that was my evil twin speaking ).

I've attended the BAFTA Awards (British Oscars) a number of times & the after-party is always held at Grosvenor House/JW. They have a better set-up though, as the entry to the ballrooms don't require going through the lobby and the restaurants are on the other side so it doesn't really interfere w/ guests (except those who are hanging out the side trying to spot the celebs).

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I'm surprised there is no other snack offered in the evening. What are the hours of the happy hour? The Hilton nearby does a nice spread
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I'm surprised there is no other snack offered in the evening. What are the hours of the happy hour?
I think we need more than one trip report to determine if the snacks are lacking on a regular basis or if it was due to being new or Goyas etc.

Cheers.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Am here now, the lounge is large and open to the main hallway. Drinks and food are available all day, but as mentioned above, it never changes after breakfast. Options include cheese, fresh fruit in plastic containers, cereal, pastries, dessert, salmon, stale bread, and granola bars. Beer and soft drinks are available all day.

Nothing changes even when happy hour begins...but if you want wine or cava, you must ask the staff who retrieve it from a hidden drawer. Strange that it is not set out, but maybe since there is no key card required for entry, they are worried people will take it. Very strange...nice setup, but not substantial enough or any type of meal after breakfast. No hot food at all after breakfast.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
...but if you want wine or cava, you must ask the staff who retrieve it from a hidden drawer..
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But the concierge was pretty attentive to me, refilling my glass. But overall, I though the food set up was the worse I'd ever seen. Especially the same exact food left out all day long. If no one ate it by noon, they need to take that as a sign.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the reviews, especially the info on where to find the hotel shuttle. We are scheduled there for our arrival night as that seems the only reasonable way to use our expiring Cat 4 cert.

For us it is a tagged on few days post cruise (ends at Southampton) trip as we dont want to fly home from LHR for its extortion taxes. Figure a few days in Madrid then fly home would be a reasonable extension. So hopefully we may not need to eat much given when we arrive the hotel we would be just off a 14 days cruise.

Still, the set up for the GOYA was really poor to the guests who stayed at the hotel that night. No excuse for that. Their apologies to you are also poor - they should offer some point compensation for all the inconvenience and disturbance to you that you were not even able to get a good night sleep - the minimum requirement for staying at a 4 star hotel. One time we stayed at a Crowne Plaza at Rosemont, Chicago, the night before our ORD-HKG flight next day, the TVs in our suite were knocked out by wind storm during the day (virtually all rooms had no TV and they were working on them room by room since early afternoon). We really wanted the TVs not for the programs but they had a channel for flight information and we really would like to monitor it. The maintenance dept promised to fix it on 3 phone calls but nobody ever came until 11pm at night - at that point we said not to worry about it. In the post survey I mentioned this about this being a bit disappointing. The Guest Director promptly replied and offered 5000 pts as a courtesy - points showed up in my IHG account the next day. And this is a much minor incident comparing to unable to find foods, unable to sleep. This Marriott needs to improve its customer service.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 2, 2016 at 4:42 pm
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Great Stay

Madrid Marriott Auditorium Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

400 Avenue de AragĂłn Madrid, Spain 28022

Great Stay (7 Photos)

Check In

I arrived on the aiport bus which was pretty quick despite stopping at other terminals after T4.

I had to queue for a bit when I checked in at 11pm but once I got to the front, I was warmly welcomed.  I had actually checked in online and the desk chap just said they had been expecting me and handed my key - it was the fastest checkin I have ever done!  My room took a bit of finding - the signs are completely clear and the hotel is HUGE!!  However I soon found my room in Tower 2.

1_IMG_0072.JPG

Room

My room was large and well equipped.  The bed is super comfortable and the room had a mini bar fridge with soft drinks and beer/water for use.  The bathroom was also great - really modern although the shower was just ever so slightly cheap compared to the rest of the bathroom decor.

There was some nice amenities as well and I really enjoyed using them.

It was really quiet - in fact I never heard anything despite the fact it is a conference hotel.

2_IMG_0073.JPG2_IMG_0075.JPG2_IMG_0077.JPGIMG_0082.JPG

Service

My welcome was warm but on checking out it was a bit frosty.  I felt like I was getting in the way of the man but I think it is just a factor of such a large hotel.  I never really saw many staff throughout my stay.

Dining

I only ate breakfast in the lounge.  Unfortunately I arrived too late to enjoy the evening reception but the breakfast was great - it also included an omlette station.  In fact, I thought it was one of the better executive lounge breakfasts that I have eaten.

The lounge is really well designed and modern - a nice place to work and relax.  The staff were also very friendly in the lounge.

I didnt use any of the other restaurants - in fact I didnt see any except the bar in the lobby - I am sure there are some, I just didnt see them!

2_IMG_0083.JPG1_IMG_0089.JPG

The hotel is a little out of the way and there is not much around the hotel itself.  The hotel provides shuttles to a lot of places and the airport one is every 30 mins.

There are a lot of taxis outside and I am sure if you speak the language the buses are also easy to navigate - I just got the shuttle back to airport and got the metro from there!

I can understand that this hotel may not be to everyone's tastes as it is a little soulless but I enjoyed the fact it was modern, spotless and the lounge was very good - I just wish I had been there for the evening.

Overall

I really enjoyed my stay.  The hotel does not have any real atmosphere as it is such a big hotel and is primarily a conference hotel.  In fact it actually felt like a Vegas hotel (without the glitz!).  I liked it though and although it does not sell itself as an airport hotel it is close enough to be one.

Great Stay

Would you like to write a review on the Madrid Marriott Auditorium Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed trip report & pictures. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Was actually able to use the free night certificate that comes w/ the Signature VISA. A very, very nice hotel. Was treated like royalty at check-in, upgraded to a monster suite w/ a huge bathroom (on a free room!) on the lounge floor. And the lounge... nothing short of spectacular IMO! Comp beer and wine, good food, just awesome! If you're looking for an airport hotel at MAD THIS IS THE PLACE!

Not the place to stay if you want to do the tourist thing in Madrid but if you need a room by the airport this place can't be beat.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.