Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Media Jakarta [Master Thread]

Sheraton Media Jakarta [Master Thread]

Old Feb 28, 2002, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Arrow Sheraton Media Jakarta [Master Thread]

Anyone stay here recently? Any comments?
Old Aug 2, 2003, 2:46 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Sheraton Media Jakarta

Has anybody stayed at this property? I couldn't find any posts here. How is the location and what can I expect as a Gold if I stay there? Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
This place is a dump. I went to check-in looked at the rooms at left. It is like a motel. The location is AWFUL especially if you are working in the central business area. The traffic is very very bad and could take 45 minutes for you to get to the city center. There is one boutique luxury hotel called Darma Wangsa or something like that. It is an awesome hotel but in bad location. The best hotel to stay at is the Hyatt in the city. There are two Hyatt's so make sure you pick the one in the city center. That is a 100 times better than the Sheraton. Please don't make the same mistake as me. I spent two hours to figure out the Sheraton is a dump.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tfong007:
This place is a dump. I went to check-in looked at the rooms at left. It is like a motel. The location is AWFUL especially if you are working in the central business area. The traffic is very very bad and could take 45 minutes for you to get to the city center. There is one boutique luxury hotel called Darma Wangsa or something like that. It is an awesome hotel but in bad location. The best hotel to stay at is the Hyatt in the city. There are two Hyatt's so make sure you pick the one in the city center. That is a 100 times better than the Sheraton. Please don't make the same mistake as me. I spent two hours to figure out the Sheraton is a dump.</font>
I concur 101%. This is a horrible hotel to be avoided at all costs.

The decent hotels in JKT are the Grand Hyatt, Regent (I think this has just re-opened after flood damage), Mandarin Oriental, Mulia, Shangri-la and Dharmawangsa.

Avoid the Sheraton and Pan Pacific.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 1:03 pm

IMHO, the Grand Hyatt has really dropped in a similar fashion as Governor Gray Davis' approval ratings. I stayed at the hotel about one week after its grand opening and the hotel was beautifully clean and well-furnished. A couple of months ago, I stayed at the hotel and rather not return anymore; the room was dirty, the carpet looked like King Kong just slept on it.

I highly recommend Mulia. The rooms are generously sized, contemporarily designed and the service is good. Price-wise, it is a bargain compared to the Grand Hyatt. The buffet (breakfast, dinner, lunch) are all yummy-to-the-max.

And to answer the initial post-er's question, Sheraton Media is a "dump".
Old Aug 4, 2003, 3:53 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Thanks for the info. Will not stay at the Sheraton then. I found very good rates at the Mandarin Oriental (EUR 67 w/tax) and Shangri-La (EUR 81 w/tax) so I guess I'll stay at either one of those.
Old May 18, 2005, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Sheraton Media Jakarta

The consensus in the one thread I could find on this hotel, circa 2003, was that it is a dump. Anyone know whether it's been refurbished or otherwise improved since then? Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:36 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Just checking whether the Sheraton Media Jakarta is leaving Starwood at all? Rooms don't appear to be bookable for later in the year (though then again, given the reviews of the hotel, it doesn't sound like it would be a loss if it did leave ). The Le Meridien is in a much better location anyway, so I guess that'll be the option in future if doing a Starwood stay.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
On my last visit to Jakarta a few months ago (when I stayed at Le Meridien, which was fine), I recalled seeing a Westin being built along the same avenue. Don't recall whether the sign said it was a hotel or perhaps just a residential complex, though.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:47 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, SPG Plat
Mattress Run

I did a mattress run using the Media last year for Platinum renewal.

Getting to the hotel from Jl. Jend. Sudirman (JKT's downtown CBD) took forever.

Rates were really cheap though, almost 50% of the rate offered by Le Meridien JKT.

Unable to comment on the room cuz never stayed in it, although they upgraded me to a junior suite because of Plat status.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:38 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I stayed at the Sheraton Media recently and I wouldn't go so far as to call it a dump, but it's certainly nothing special at all - especially at the rates they usually have listed on the Sheraton website. I was visiting the Jakarta Expo site and Ancol, so the location was good for both of those, but for anyone needing to go to the business areas of Jakarta it would be a nightmare with the usual traffic around town.

As a Cat 1 weekend redemption I wasn't too displeased, and as a SPG Gold they threw in breakfast as well (not a great buffet spread, but edible). But to be honest, neither the Sheraton Media or Le Meridien Jakarta are hotels I'd actually spend money to stay in - as mentioned by others there's plenty of nice hotels around town at reasonable rates (for me I prefer the InterContinental, especially as it's usually similar ratewise to the Starwood options). The Sheraton Bandara's the only nice option for Starwood at the moment in Jakarta, but only useful as an airport hotel really - you'd be crazy to try to commute into town from there.
Old May 7, 2010, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
seems like its been a few years since the last post on this thread....

i am staying here for a couple of nights next month....rates are very good, only $57 a night....

the few posts on this thread seem to indicate that this property is a dump....i'm hoping things would have changed in the last 5-6 years since those comments were posted....

has anyone stayed here recently????i found another thread on this property which seems to talk about the upgrade policy at this property....but nothing about the property itself....
Old May 7, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Originally Posted by saad
the few posts on this thread seem to indicate that this property is a dump....i'm hoping things would have changed in the last 5-6 years since those comments were posted....
The property has aged by another 5-6 years since then.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Dendrite
The property has aged by another 5-6 years since then.
as well....there is always the le mridien then....
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

checked into this property earlier today....i had initially booked a premier room so i was quite surprised when at check-in they told me i had been upgraded to a premier room....i asked if there were any suites available for upgrade & they said they don't upgrade plats to suites....they finally gave us a tower room, saying that there had been a cancellation a few minutes ago so we were lucky to get that room....

i hate fighting for upgrades so just took the room....i logged onto spg.com when we got to our room....there were more than half a dozen tower rooms available & about 3 different types of suites available as well....

the room looks no bigger than any other room....there is a weird stain on the curtain & another on the bed sheets....i asked for the sheets to be changed & it took them over an hour to do so....the furniture in the room looks old....there is no wifi in the room....just the wired internet....

we were in our rooms late in the afternoon & housekeeping came in....i told them i didn't need anything....when they left i looked for the 'do not disturb' sign but it wasn't in the room....i called down to ask for one & they said they would send one up immediately....after 2 hours when nothing came up, i decided to go down to the lobby & get one myself since i had some other stuff i needed to get done....they said they would get the sign put on my door immediately....

asked the concierge a question about a certain location & he just gave me a blank stare....after a few seconds he said he didn't know where it was....i asked him if he could find out & he nodded, then proceeded to help the person standing behind me....i waited for him to finish & asked again if he could find out....he just said 'sorry'....

tried to get some usd exchanged at the reception....they wouldn't change one $100 bill since it had an ink stain on it....the ink stain was no bigger than a tiny dot....you wouldn't even notice it unless you knew it was there....i told them i would get it changed some where else....they were quite rude during this exchange....

went down to catch a cab next & it took them 20 minutes to get one....we finally got back a few hours later & the 'do not disturb' sign is still not here....

i spend about 200 nights in hotels every year....this is probably one of the first times where i don't feel welcome....the attitude of most of the staff seems strange....i can't quite explain it....

we were initially supposed to stay here for 2 nights but my wife does not want to stay here tomorrow....good thing i have 2 seperate reservations....i'm going to cancel tomorrow's reservation & move to the le mridien after my meeting in the morning....

Last edited by Keyser; Jun 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.