Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Santiago, Chile (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Santiago, Chile (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2003, 7:20 am
Suspended

What's the best way to get there from the airport? Cab? How much are we looking at?
Old Jun 17, 2003, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
You can easily get cabs from the airport to the hotel. Some cabs run on meters and others that are called beforehand have negotitated rates. Probably best to just take one of the metered ones from the airport. It is not that expensive, though I cannot remember the prices (I was in Chile in March 2003).
Old Jun 17, 2003, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
A cab to the 4 points will run you ~$10-15 US, tops. You can prepay, if you prefer, at one of the kiosks after immigration.

Also, if you are US, Canadian and (I think) NZ (maybe AUS, don't recall) there is a "Reciprocity Fee". It was ~$61 when I was there, but I think it has gone up to $100. It mirrors the cost to get a visa (or whatever) for Chilean citizens traveling to the US. There is a booth before customs, and you can pay in US$, IIRC. The reciprocity stamp is good for the life of your passport.

The four points is a nice hotel, and I had a corner suite on the top floor. It is convenient to the Los Leones Metro station (the Santiago Metro is clean and efficient). The hotel is located in the Providencia district, where there are also several embassies. It's nice.

The business center off the lobby has internet, but there is an internet cafe on the same street that is cheaper. The street opposite the entrance to the hotel (i.e., behind it--Calle General So-and-so) has some clubs and restaurants on it...kind of touristy, but the food was good.

If you are also considering the San Cristobal Tower, here is a link to some photos:San Cristobal Tower

Have a good trip.

Regards,

O/H
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Stay at the SCT!!! Awesome rooms, and the champange at the elevator!
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The main reason that the San Cristobal Tower isn't the "perfect hotel" is it doesn't have a Heavenly or W bed. Otherwise, its pretty close!
Old Jun 21, 2003, 7:06 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Excellent timing. Just got back from Santiago (May 16 - 25) as part of a RTW trip. I stayed three nights at the 4 points before heading over to the Hyatt.

I thought the 4 points was pretty good. As mentioned it seems fairly new. Overall just a pretty decent standard room - nothing flash or worth raving about but certainly no faults. Good location and very friendly staff. Some fairly decent nightclubs within walking/stumbling distance. Can't comment on breakfast because I rarely haul my lazy butt out of bed in time for it.

Cab was $10US all up from the airport - negotitated before I left the airport. I don't know if you could get it cheaper but I felt it was a pretty fair price.

Santiago is a great place with awesome food, bars and women - if you're into that sort of thing.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Occupationalhazard:

Also, if you are US, Canadian and (I think) NZ (maybe AUS, don't recall) there is a "Reciprocity Fee". It was ~$61 when I was there, but I think it has gone up to $100. It mirrors the cost to get a visa (or whatever) for Chilean citizens traveling to the US. There is a booth before customs, and you can pay in US$, IIRC. The reciprocity stamp is good for the life of your passport.
</font>
The reciprocity fee is different for the different nationalities. Don't recall what it is for the others, but it is indeed $100 US for US citizens. It MUST be paid in US dollars CASH. So bring an extra stack of five twenties per person.

Kathy
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Transport from SCL to Four Points Santiago. Treatment of Plats. Thanks.

I will be staying at the Four Points Santiago for two nights as a tourist. From the post here in FT it sounds like the most central place for a tourist. I noted there are taxi options and mini-van options from EZE to the Hotel. Also that a ticket booth can be found in the baggage claim area. Is this still the case? About how much should I be looking to pay in local currency? How about the return trip back? Any comments on treatment of Platinums at the Hotel? The reservation notes free high speed internet. Is this wired high speed or wi fi? Any comments appreciated. Regards
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:30 am
SST

I stayed at the I-C, which is further from the airport than the 4P, and just took a cab. The fare was pretty reasonable, less than $15, I think. So unremarkable I don't remember exactly. Somebody who's been to your hotel lately can tell you what they experienced.

I was amazed at the great transport rates in SCL. Bus to Vina del Mar on the coast was about $8 rt. City subway was about $0.50. Buses were real cheap, real frequent, all destinations & stops on a list on the front. Taxis were very reasonable. An easy place to get around.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
As the OP knows, I stayed there about two years ago (November 2002).

I believe the taxi from the airport cost roughly somewhere around $10 US; very cheap by our standards, as the other poster indicated.

I was a Plat two years ago and got a nice suite comprised of two smallish rooms and a huge balcony. My balcony faced the nearby nightlife district, so there was some nighttime noise, but it didn't bother me. (Bring earplugs if sensitive -- as one should whenever and wherever one travels.) I also saw the mountains from my room, one of the signature sights of Santiago.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 7:14 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you to you both. I will taxi it from SCL. Regards
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:52 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
There is also a very reasonable shuttle bus with a counter just after customs.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE

I noted there are taxi options and mini-van options from EZE to the Hotel.
Personally, a flight from Buenos Aires to Santiago is what I'd take. A taxi or mini van might run a little high and take a couple days.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Taxi rates are higher now because of the drop in the US$, but you have 3 decent options:

(1) Hire a private van (there are 3 companies or so, with booths both before or after you leave the customs area)

http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/con...20040701160412

I have used Transvip a couple of times and they are good - they have a promo for a private van for 1 to 3 pax (same rate). You can also get a shared van for a lot less.

(2) Hire a shared van (see above)

(3) Negotiate with a licensed taxi after you leave customs. They are for the most part decent and all safe; the quality of your car may vary, and your ability to speak en espaņol will affect the rate.

If you don't like being hounded by the #3 crowd, arrange your transfers prior to leaving the arrivals hall.

Note that more recently, the $US rate has been better than the $CL rate if converting from $USD. For historical purposes, US$1 has been hovering at about CL$600 (with some variations) for quite awhile, although it was as high as US$1= CL$750 awhile back.

Most of all, Disfrutelo!
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:30 pm

Sorry- disfrutelo = ? .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.