Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mainport, Rotterdam, Design Hotels [Master Thread]

Mainport, Rotterdam, Design Hotels [Master Thread]

Old May 19, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK EP/*G, DL D, IH AMB/D/IC, HH D, CR D, FoundersCd, Sixt P, NTL EE, Hz 5*
I love this place. Checked in today for one night to break up a drive from Koeln to somewhere in western France. EUR 117 prepaid rate for the basest room, got upgraded to harborview sauna. Room service is ok-pricing, not amazing, but good (especially as I hadn't eaten for ~36h, since the Sheraton Frankfurt's amazing breakfast a couple days ago)

High floor rooms might have a slightly better view, but here I'd prefer a low floor to be closer to the water. The sauna and jacuzzi in-room are the first time I've ever had that combination; now I want a sauna at my house once I finally stop being homeless. Toiletries are martin+goetz, my new favorite for hotels, and there's also a rainfall shower. Great TV, super-fast Internet, comfortable bed and linens; overall it's not a huge hotel room, but it's perfect. I regret only being here one night.

"Limited" SPG participation -- I got an upgrade due to SPG, presumably, and I assume I'm getting 500 points, but breakfast is EUR 20 prepaid (which I accepted at checkin). If they fully participated in SPG and let you use SNAs to get the bigger suites, that would be amazing.

(The funniest situation happened at checkin. I am driving a (Sixt, rental, awesome) Audi A6, white, with German plates. All my luggage is in the trunk, so the back seat is empty. I was stopped blocking their valet entrance (it's a little confusing, especially if you're not used to Dutch protected bike paths). As I got out of the car and got back in to properly park for the valet, a (Scottish? English?) guy, very "excited", got into the back right passenger seat and said "please take me to the gay sauna around the corner" (I assume he meant "Finland Sauna Rotterdam"). I was puzzled for many reasons: 1) he spoke English first 2) I briefly thought maybe he was the valet guy showing me where to park, but that seemed a bit rude/presumptuous to just get into my car 3) I'm old/boring, but didn't realize "gay saunas" were even still a thing after the 80s 4) I just spent a week doing tactical classes at Sig with shooting in/out of cars, etc., and getting carjacked in the Netherlands would be impossible to live down 5) I was tired.

I realized he thought I was a taxi, and replied (in English) "sorry, I don't know" and he said something like "oh, you don't know where it is" etc., so maybe he thought I was still a taxi, but not a homophobe?). He was in the lobby asking for gay sauna info while I was checking in, too, without much luck. I hope he eventually Googled or something.)
Steve74 likes this.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's funny. The guy probably thought that you were either the hotel's car service or an Uber/Lyft driver, although the latter should have sent him a message identifying the car and driver.

OTOH, maybe he thought that you and your car were hot. Was there some obvious reason he couldn't have walked "around the corner"? It's odd to first ask to be taken to the gay sauna place very nearby and then ask the hotel concierge about gay sauna options.

The hotel has a sauna, but I presume it would not be considered a "gay sauna."
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Just booked my second stay at this great property, direct via the SPG website as usual, using my SPG Amex as usual. I received the usual confirmation email. Now I have recevied a second email directly from the hotel asking for payment within three days using a special link and only by Visa/Mastercard/IBAN or my advanced rate will expire. Has anyone else had this? Surely this is nonsense? It's not SPAM - it comes from the hotel's official address and contains my confirmation number and stay details. Has anyone else had this?

We kindly request the payment for your stay. Please find below the payment link of € 140.73 for your stay and the local city tax. This is as stated in your confirmation of your reservation. We kindly ask you to arrange the payment before the link expires and before your arrival in the hotel to avoid the rate to be adjusted to the Flexible Rate which can be higher than the rate you already booked. Click the following link to provide your payment fast and in a secured environment via Paysquare: http://spbl.eu/AQ9kJ7323. The link is valid until Thursday, January 18, 2018, 7:52 AM Accepted payment methods include Visa, Mastercard and IBAN (bank payment). Please note, if cancelled or in case of No show the total price of the reservation will be charged.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Just booked my second stay at this great property, direct via the SPG website as usual, using my SPG Amex as usual. I received the usual confirmation email. Now I have recevied a second email directly from the hotel asking for payment within three days using a special link and only by Visa/Mastercard/IBAN or my advanced rate will expire. Has anyone else had this? Surely this is nonsense?.....
SOP for this property if you are on prepaid rate. I am surprised that you didn't receive it for your first stay. I just paid via link, no big deal.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
So I can't book via the SPG website using SPG credit card? Sure, no big deal to pay but that doesn't seem right to me - nor any mention of this in my SPG confirmation. If I hadn't checked my spam filter I would never have seen this payment demand.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent trip reports particularly Executive Lounge quality and Titanium benefits? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There was no executive lounge when I stayed here. In fact, I'm not aware of any Design Hotels with executive lounges.
TerryK likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Any recent trip reports particularly Executive Lounge quality and Titanium benefits? Thanks in advance.
It is a Design Hotel, as the name indicates, no Lounge and no elite benefits. You will receive 1,000 welcome points but no other choice,
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by TerryK
It is a Design Hotel, as the name indicates, no Lounge and no elite benefits. You will receive 1,000 welcome points but no other choice,
Sorry, I posted my question in wrong thread. I meant to post in Marriott full service Rotterdam. Apologies.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
How is the vs. Slaak?
Old Oct 5, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
I received an email today that effective November 1st, 2023, Mainport, Rotterdam "will no longer be associated with Marriott International but will continue normal operations and your reservation will be honored."

The rest of the details seem pretty standard for a property ending their relationship with Marriott:
  • Prior to November 1st, 2023, if you wish to cancel your reservation or seek alternate Marriott accommodation; please call Marriott’s worldwide reservations
  • For guests wishing to utilize Marriott Gift Certificates, Incentive Awards, or Gift Cards, this property will be unable to accept these as a method of payment beyond October 31st, 2023.
  • Since the hotel will no longer be affiliated with Marriott, you will not earn Marriott Bonvoy points, nor will you receive membership amenities or benefits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.