Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by govtraveler
I am new to Starwood and was recently comped as Platinum. I am not very knowledgeable on the platinum benefits available for starwood so forgive me if my questions reflect this lack of knowledge. I have a 6 night stay at the WDW Dolphin in April. I have reserved the room at a conference rate of $181 per night. The reservation agent told me that I will get stay and point credit because I am reserving and paying for this myself. However, thet said I will not be eligible for any platinum amenities such as fitness center access, room uprade if available or lounge access. Is this information provided to me by the reservation agent accurate? If so, is this the norm for Starwood hotels or specific to the Dolphin? Are only conference rates subject to these limitations? Thanks for any information that can be provided.
No, that's not accurate. I've stayed at many Starwood hotels on conference rates and this has never been an issue.

The key, as you seem to know, is that you pay for your own stay at the conference rate -- it's not centrally billed to a group. Given that, you should receive stay credit, points and in-hotel amenities.
Old May 28, 2007, 7:10 am

Programs: SPG, HH, MR, AGR, AA, UA, US
WDW Dolphin Redemption Experience

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with attempting to redeem *points at the WDW Dolphin?
Old May 28, 2007, 7:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United Premier
I booked a stay at the Swan & Dolphin (actually it was the Swan that we stayed at) last August and had a great time. Using points for the room was the same as for any other hotel that we've stayed at. We were upgraded to a "suite", which was actually two connecting rooms. Our daughter had her room (a big deal for a 3-year old!) and the wife and I were able to have some privacy.
Old May 28, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
We went to the swan for Spring training. Had a great time, we were upgraded. We were only thier for the weekend and it was a slow time. Service was good. Location is ok. Some people like the Ferry boats, I am not big on that to get to the park. I do like walking arounf the Boardwalk.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: AC 75K, MB Amb
Disney Dolphin - hotel does not participate in SPG??

Hello everyone (this is my first post),
I am booked for a stay at the Dolphin in Disney World in early Dec. I just noted my reservation with a request and noticed that under SPG info was this line:
"Please note: This hotel does not participate in Starwood Preferred Guest."
What? I booked there partially due the points. If I knew this I would have stayed at the Hilton since I'm HH Gold & SPG Gold. Well, I really would have stayed at a Disney Vacation Club resort but they're all booked on the day I need. Anyhow, is this the case? Do they not partake in SPG? Will I receive points? (More importantly ) An upgrade?
The "Please note: This hotel does not participate in Starwood Preferred Guest." was not shown to me until after I had booked.
Thanks for any help
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:17 am
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
First I've heard of this. I just checked out the website homepage and it shows Category 4 and 10,000 SPG points for a free night.

Probably some sort of error or something is getting ready to chang.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Welcome to Flyertalk thedenboers

I would suggest you could refer to the master list of non-participating SPG properties :

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...spg_terms.html

The Dolphin is not listed, so, according to the T&C's, you should get the points.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: AC 75K, MB Amb
Thanks for that list - it will be bookmarked ^
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Using the search function and entering the keyword 'Dolphin' yielded 95 threads. Here is one that might be useful to you:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=dolphin

Additionally, there could be a change in the hotel's participation since you booked and perhaps the website has not been updated. If they are telling you this information in your reservation I would call the hotel directly to sort things out PRIOR to your stay so that you aren't disappointed and then leaving yourself enough time to switch to Hilton as you mentioned.

Again, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:22 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by BFG
First I've heard of this. I just checked out the website homepage and it shows Category 4 and 10,000 SPG points for a free night.

Probably some sort of error...
Yes, as has been discussed on three other occasions, this is a transient error that we are working to fix.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 5, 2007, 4:21 pm

What's interesting about the two properties is that the Sheraton Dolphin hold s an AAA 4 Daimond award, but the Westin Swan only holds a 3 Diamond.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
At the Dolphin now. Got PLT recognition on checkin (amenity offer). Arrived 10am Sunday, was told my upgraded room wasn't ready yet - but having not slept on a redeye, all I wanted was anything available NOW, so they gave me a "balcony room", which wasn't the upgrade they had blocked me for. Conference rate included bottled water, so no way of checking on that.

One interesting status recognition: when I called for room service, they said "We're running about 30-40 minutes, but since you're Platinum, we'll try to get it to you sooner", and lunch arrived in 28 mins. I'm sure it was just managing expectations, but it was skillfully done.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Any recent stays?

Which is better? Swan of Dolphin? Same?
Old May 9, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
I recently enjoyed a two night stay at the WDW Dolphin, with an upgrade from a standard king room (booked at a FL resident rate) to an Executive Suite. ^

I won’t go into the virtues of this property, which have been debated at great length on this forum. It is still a Sheraton at heart, which might cause some in this forum to run--across the walkway--to the nearest Westin (which happens to be the Swan). For myself, however, I always welcome the chance to visit the property, especially when my family is along for the trip.

For fans of Epcot, it’s hard to understate the appeal of staying in such proximity, especially at a Starwood resort. Of course, getting a suite upgrade makes that appeal so much greater. For those interested, there was no hesitation about platinum recognition at check in.

I’ll let my photos articulate the rest of the review:

http://tinyurl.com/ofn6q2
Old May 9, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Any recent stays?

Which is better? Swan of Dolphin? Same?
I prefer the Swan, just because it is smaller. Honestly the best room is a JR suite at the end of the hotel. It is not as nice or large as the suites, but you can watch all the fireworks from your room. The view is great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.