Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 1:09 pm

I'd like to know what, specifically, people think is missing from their breakfast selection.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by joakgarp
The breakfast, restaurant and lounge (dinner at Washoku Souten) are all pretty weak and mediocre and not what folks would expect from a Luxury collection hotel. Simple as that. PG do not impress and it's been like this since launch. The japanese way of we don't care about feedback and won't improve, that kind of japanese mind set. Personally I think the PG should be reflagged as a Design hotel instead or why not a Tribute Portfolio. The Luxury Collection brand doesn't make any sense here.

The Sheraton Yokohama is way better in its offerings when it comes to lounge and breakfast and the rate difference between a the two is pretty big. One you can have for 11 000 JPY/Night and the other 30 000-60 000 JPY/Night. One of the best breakfast in my life has been in Sheraton properties so the question is why the sleepy service from restaurant staff in PG (the guy in the PG Lounge was fantastic during our stay though)? There's no surprise and no innovation.
Now since some time back PG decided they want to restrict elites on their mediocre breakfast and lounge and of course it pisses people off. Instead of improving what they should be doing.
Great bar and room though and I liked the fitness with pool area.
That's a lot of words without naming a single dish you think is missing from the "weak" offering.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by richarddd
I'd like to know what, specifically, people think is missing from their breakfast selection.
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
That's a lot of words without naming a single dish you think is missing from the "weak" offering.
This. I literally asked what was missing and got a crazy essay from someone who wasn't the person I asked, which didn't even name a single missing dish.
Originally Posted by helvetic
Pure insanity… this is hyperbole if I've ever seen it. Perhaps you don't like the breakfast (I personally loved it), but regardless, saying that the PG isn't a true luxury property is ridiculous.
I thought it was a great breakfast too, so I am legitimately curious as to why people feel it's weak. Again, it's a wider selection than the RC Kyoto. Perhaps the RC Kyoto should also be demoted to the Tribute porfolio?

Last edited by hhoope01; May 22, 2019 at 2:50 pm Reason: Removed quote and response to post text that has been removed.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This. I literally asked what was missing and got a crazy essay from someone who wasn't the person I asked, which didn't even name a single missing dish.

I thought it was a great breakfast too, so I am legitimately curious as to why people feel it's weak.
Sorry about the essay. Thought this was a forum and you asked an open question.
Of course I didn't write a list what was missing as that would have been absurd. The main dish was there with western and Asian. But the overall presentation was mediocre and I guess others can fill you in what was disappointing who recently have stayed there and are sharing the disappointment as well.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:42 pm

I always try to be cognizant of the fact that for every one person who goes online to complain, there are 100 who found the same experience to be good. Did the free lounge breakfast leave me wanting to write love letters to the chef? No. But did I enjoy the custom omelettes, chef's egg, the unique (for an American anyway) option of warm fish for breakfast, fresh juices, champers, 10 different kinds of pastries, assorted meats, and my new favorite breakfast food: mashed potatoes? Yes!

I stayed in a Marriott last week and the lounge breakfast was cold turkey deli meat, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, and bagels/muffins. Was this a Luxury Collection Marriott? No. But I thought the "upgrade" from deli meats and bagels was pretty luxurious when I was at the PG.

I realize writing this that I sounds like a loon to care so much...but...ehh, I'm posting it anyway.
helvetic likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I really don't understand the breakfast complaints. I just spent two weeks in Japan and the buffet offering at the PG had more variety than the buffet that offered at the Ritz-Carlton Kyoto where I have never heard a single complaint about breakfast. What sort of dishes would you like added to the buffet? There must be a ton of things missing for you if it's what you'd consider a weak offering.
It's been a couple of months, but it was just a very basic buffet, I was particularly disappointed by the sparse fruit selection. There was also an absence of decent charcuterie, and the selection of hot dishes was miniscule. There was probably a quarter the variety offered by hotels such as Conrad or GH Hong Kong, or SGS in Bangkok. It's been too long for me to compare the selection to PH Tokyo, but I do remember the quality there was exquisite, which PG was definitely not.

I generally enjoyed the hotel, but the breakfast was not IMO befitting an Asian 5*.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:08 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's been a couple of months, but it was just a very basic buffet, I was particularly disappointed by the sparse fruit selection. There was also an absence of decent charcuterie, and the selection of hot dishes was miniscule. There was probably a quarter the variety offered by hotels such as Conrad or GH Hong Kong, or SGS in Bangkok. It's been too long for me to compare the selection to PH Tokyo, but I do remember the quality there was exquisite, which PG was definitely not.

I generally enjoyed the hotel, but the breakfast was not IMO befitting an Asian 5*.
I would much rather have a full Japanese breakfast vs. the biggest bland buffet like the MMQP BKK. One well executed a-la-carte dish beats any amount of meh food at even the largest of buffets.

The lounge's chef's egg is amazing, as is the Japanese traditional breakfast. But sure, if you want a million options of stale mediocre quality dishes, be my guest and stay at your average Asian Sheraton or Marriott
Old May 22, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
I would much rather have a full Japanese breakfast vs. the biggest bland buffet like the MMQP BKK. One well executed a-la-carte dish beats any amount of meh food at even the largest of buffets.

The lounge's chef's egg is amazing, as is the Japanese traditional breakfast. But sure, if you want a million options of stale mediocre quality dishes, be my guest and stay at your average Asian Sheraton or Marriott
Can agree on the limited fruit offering as well. Me and my partner were so satisfied with our room and the overall high quality of the building so when we have had our breakfast in the main restaurant we were like is this it? It's far from bad though.
But each to their own.

Is the full breakfast still for free for plats and above here or did they limit the elite benefit to water and a biscuit? Were some posts about a limited breakfast menu when the hotel started to restrict lounge access.

Last edited by joakgarp; May 22, 2019 at 11:44 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Mr kk and I stayed here at the beginning of May, and were able to have a full breakfast buffet or the japanese set as a benefit of my lifetime titanium status—not limited. There may be a full American set as well, but I didn’t bother to look. With the buffet they’ll bring you eggs, (you order with the wait staff) and you select everything else from the buffet.

I’m in the camp that found the buffet perfectly lovely, and well laid out, although we gravitated toward the terrific Japanese set, which was served in a different restaurant one morning of our stay.

We also were grandfathered into lounge access (booked the stay before they stopped allowing it to plats) and the lounge was completely PACKED for happy hour several nights of our stay...so busy that on more than one evening there were no tables available at all; the overwhelmed hosts were offering to call people in their rooms to alert them when space opened up. We skipped it altogether one night, another was equally full but we managed to snag a spot as two people were leaving, and one evening we sat through from tea to happy hour—which seemed like what a lot of others were doing. The snacks seemed sufficient to pass as a dinner, if you got there before they were depleted.

I’m not certain if it was due to Golden week, but the lounge was so crowded during happy hour that it wasn’t pleasant. We did enjoy a nice teatime here, and of course unless you’ve booked a club floor, the lounge is no longer accessible to plat guests simply for being plats anyway, so it may be a moot point. We did enjoy one lounge breakfast, and I thought the tea (teavelope earl gray) was so outstanding I immediately bought some on amazon.

concierge staff was good, we enjoyed the hotel...but likely won’t stay again at the price point without lounge access. The breakfast is great, but having a place to escape (even if only theoretically) is important to us.

Last edited by karenkay; May 23, 2019 at 5:48 am
Old May 23, 2019, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
What was missing was more variety for each food food category.

For example, they offered only lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber and two dressings for the salad section. Westin Kyoto had more variety: Corn, spinach, pickles, beats, olives, hard boiled eggs, and many more, plus about 10 different kinds of dressings.

Same for other food sections
joakgarp likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Kacee

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

For example, they offered only lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber and two dressings for the salad section. Westin Kyoto had more variety: Corn, spinach, pickles, beats, olives, hard boiled eggs, and many more, plus about 10 different kinds of dressings.

Thanks to both of you for sharing. My areas of focus for breakfast in Japan are different, but I appreciate the insight into what you thought was lacking.
Kacee and nexusCFX like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold

For example, they offered only lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber for the salad section.
Are you sure about that? I saw many stick vegetables in the area.

In fact, here's a picture of them:

karenkay and nexusCFX like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Are you sure about that? I saw many stick vegetables in the area.

In fact, here's a picture of them:

Don't take my post literally, I didn't remember the exact items. All I know is that the variety of items is relatively smaller.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:13 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Based on my stay, I would agree that the breakfast, both in the lounge and in the restaurant opposite the lobby, are weak at this property.

The number of different dishes is small compared to those I stay at in SE Asia. Add to this the fact that they serve the same dishes every day gets monotonous.

I loved the hard product. It was amazingly well-located for my office. We still had lounge access when I stayed. But I would never suggest this property for a leisure stay.
MasterGeek, Kacee and joakgarp like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It really is slim pickings when compared to other hotel breakfast buffets. MO has almost anything you could want and the kitchen sink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.