Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MattEvan

It’s a better hotel in a better location. Yes, the physical plant is older than PG, but the service is more internationally oriented (world-class) than I’ve found than at PGKIO. I generally like the SL chain, and Tokyo is their top property in my experience.
Concierge is much more responsive. The rooms are older but still made from quality materials. Too bad a lot of views got taken away from all the new skyscapers built around it.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by osxunf
Thanks Matt for your answer! Would you mind elaborating a little bit more?
Concierge is much more responsive. The rooms are older but still made from quality materials. Too bad a lot of views got taken away from all the new skyscapers built around it.

The reason I stopped staying there was their chintzy breakfast policy of only being able to order 1 hot dish per person outside of the buffet. I felt this was cheaping out considering how much their rack rates are. Small breakfast eaters will be fine with the buffet and 1 entree.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just wrapped up a three night stay. Overall I enjoyed the property. The rooms are beautifully designed and extremely quiet and comfortable. Service was also very good, though I felt it fell below true 5* in terms of anticipating needs. Staff English skills were also a bit weak (this always surprises me in Japan, I suppose I should get used to it). The location also worked very well for me.

Property was booked full so no upgrade. FDA was apologetic and I was given club access, which I felt was quite generous. While the club space is very nice, I was not impressed at all with the food. It is subpar for an Asian club lounge, especially at a purported 5* property. I don't understand why people have gotten so worked about it in this thread.

Breakfast is another weak point (as mentioned above). They are now offering a buffet in the main restaurant (no Japanese option), and a Japanese restaurant in one of the 35th Floor restaurants. The buffet was weak, and (like the lounge's food offerings) simply does not compare with other Asian 5* properties either in quality or selection. The service in the restaurant is well meaning, but totally incompetent. Lots of staff standing around, but very little actual service. I had to ask three times for coffee one morning, and they don't remove plates from the table.

I don't stay frequently in Tokyo, so don't have much experience for comparison, but I felt the pool and spa here did not compare to PH Tokyo, and the service was not as good as Conrad (and rooms are smaller). OTOH, the location is good and the overall package makes this an attractive property for a return visit.
Dave510 and joakgarp like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Kacee
I just wrapped up a three night stay. Overall I enjoyed the property. The rooms are beautifully designed and extremely quiet and comfortable. Service was also very good, though I felt it fell below true 5* in terms of anticipating needs. Staff English skills were also a bit weak (this always surprises me in Japan, I suppose I should get used to it). The location also worked very well for me.

Property was booked full so no upgrade. FDA was apologetic and I was given club access, which I felt was quite generous. While the club space is very nice, I was not impressed at all with the food. It is subpar for an Asian club lounge, especially at a purported 5* property. I don't understand why people have gotten so worked about it in this thread.

Breakfast is another weak point (as mentioned above). They are now offering a buffet in the main restaurant (no Japanese option), and a Japanese restaurant in one of the 35th Floor restaurants. The buffet was weak, and (like the lounge's food offerings) simply does not compare with other Asian 5* properties either in quality or selection. The service in the restaurant is well meaning, but totally incompetent. Lots of staff standing around, but very little actual service. I had to ask three times for coffee one morning, and they don't remove plates from the table.

I don't stay frequently in Tokyo, so don't have much experience for comparison, but I felt the pool and spa here did not compare to PH Tokyo, and the service was not as good as Conrad (and rooms are smaller). OTOH, the location is good and the overall package makes this an attractive property for a return visit.
They now offer breakfast in a Japanese restaurant as well? Did you get a chance to try it?

I feel largely the same as you about the property. Specifically, PH is better in many ways, but the hardware, location and price makes PG attractive for me.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dave510
They now offer breakfast in a Japanese restaurant as well? Did you get a chance to try it?

I feel largely the same as you about the property. Specifically, PH is better in many ways, but the hardware, location and price makes PG attractive for me.
With elites no longer getting lounge access, more people are taking breakfast in the hotel's restaurants, at least temporarily until elites just start to avoid PG stays since there's a lounge that we can't use (unless we pay extra for certain upgraded room categories).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Kacee's review is spot on. The staff in the restaurants leaves a lot to be desired..
Hope there will be W Tokyo and St regis Tokyo soon. Need more options in Tokyo than what Marriott is offering today.
Bit strange from a business perspective as the Olympics will be next year.
MSPeconomist and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:29 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Can you name many other lounges that serve drinks 24/7, and that serve Yamazaki during their 4h happy hour? In my experience, no other club lounge even compares in terms of quality. Sure, you'd get more quantity at the Grand Hyatt, but in terms of quality, availability and intimacy, nothing compares.

Also, did you not try the chef's egg?

Also, did you skip the traditional Japanese breakfast? I can't think of any other hotel that has a traditional high quality Japanese breakfast.

The PG also has, by far, the best hotel bar in the city.

Spa-wise the only hotel that can give the PG a run for its money is the Andaz.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by helvetic
Can you name many other lounges that serve drinks 24/7, and that serve Yamazaki during their 4h happy hour? In my experience, no other club lounge even compares in terms of quality. Sure, you'd get more quantity at the Grand Hyatt, but in terms of quality, availability and intimacy, nothing compares.

Also, did you not try the chef's egg?

Also, did you skip the traditional Japanese breakfast? I can't think of any other hotel that has a traditional high quality Japanese breakfast.

The PG also has, by far, the best hotel bar in the city.

Do you mean at the RC or the PG? The PG lounge closes at about 9 or 10 pm IIRC. It's certainly not 24/7.

Which bar at the PG do you like? The lobby one, the two-story open one on the way to the international and Japanese restaurants, or the one that seems to be behind curtains and a glass wall, so that you really can't see much without committing to enter it?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You must be referring to a different property. Happy hour was 5:00 to 7:00. The food options were very poor. I can honestly say the JW Marriott LA Live has a better lounge spread. It's certainly nothing like GH or RC Hong Kong, nor even Athenee.
If you read my post, you would have noted that they no longer serve Japanese breakfast as an option. You have to go to a different restaurant (which was not offered as a Platinum benefit). In any event, it would not be my cup of tea.
Again, you must be referring to a different property. While I haven't been to Andaz, PH Tokyo spa is orders of magnitude better.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you mean at the RC or the PG? The PG lounge closes at about 9 or 10 pm IIRC. It's certainly not 24/7.
9 p.m., correct. Happy hour ends at 7 p.m.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With elites no longer getting lounge access, more people are taking breakfast in the hotel's restaurants
Yes, I think that's the explanation.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:34 pm

IIRC happy hour food in the PG lounge ends at 7 pm, with drinks available at least until 8 (or maybe 9 if the lounge is open until 10).

To me, the Andaz pool and the PG pool are similar, so I'd be rather surprised if the Andaz has a spa that's so much better.

OTOH, I suspect that base level rooms are a bit better at the Andaz, while elite upgrades to deluxe and corner rooms are better at PG. I like the Tower views at the Andaz because it's so close and dramatic, but the PG views that include the imperial palace are nice.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
If you read my post, you would have noted that they no longer serve Japanese breakfast as an option.
Isn't the Japanese breakfast just a 1000 JPY surcharge? That's how it was when I was there in February after the changes.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Isn't the Japanese breakfast just a 1000 JPY surcharge? That's how it was when I was there in February after the changes.
No, not the same menu that was posted earlier in this thread. Oasis Garden was not offering Japanese options, just a buffet with limited selection of made to order eggs. For Japanese breakfast, you had to go one of the 35th floor restaurants (presumably Washoku Souten, but I did not check it out)

I should have taken a picture of the breakfast menu and the lounge info sheet.

Also, I should temper my critical comments above by emphasizing that I loved my room, and the staff were overall quite delightful. I felt very comfortable and would not hesitate to return.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
No, not the same menu that was posted earlier in this thread. Oasis Garden was not offering Japanese options, just a buffet with limited selection of made to order eggs. For Japanese breakfast, you had to go one of the 35th floor restaurants (presumably Washoku Souten, but I did not check it out)

I should have taken a picture of the breakfast menu and the lounge info sheet.

Also, I should temper my critical comments above by emphasizing that I loved my room, and the staff were overall quite delightful. I felt very comfortable and would not hesitate to return.
This is good to know as I am in Tokyo very often and stay here unless I need quick access to Shinagawa or Tokyo stations. I also wish you'd photographed the menu. Are the made to order eggs now included again? When I posted the pictures of the menu right after the change in February they were charging 1000 JPY to either get Japanese breakfast, or to add one of the made to order eggs like the chef's egg. It'd be nice if they gave the made to order egg back, although the loss of Japanese breakfast is unfortunate.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Are the made to order eggs now included again?
Yes no charge. I think they're still figuring out how to handle the breakfast benefit.

I'll add, btw, that they technically exceeded the program benefits, because after explaining my breakfast benefit, the FDA offered me a choice of 1000 points or a local gift. I took the gift (lacquered chopsticks).
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Watkin
Did you eat breakfast in the restaurant as a Plat? If yes, what was that like?
I ate breakfast this morning at Oasis Garden as Platinum. More so because the lounge was packed at 9:30am and lounge manager mentioned downstairs maybe open. Btw, breakfast at both locations end at 10am and Oasis staff seemed pretty eager to clean up by removing items at 10:15am.

Originally Posted by osxunf

what was the reason for lounge access for only two days?

What specifically made you disappointed about breakfast?
Disappointed with the selection in the lounge compared to other hotels on this trip. The Oasis Garden has much more space and additional hot items that the club lounge didnt have. The area where breakfast is served is much smaller in the club lounge than Oasis Garden. Pictures below of Oasis Garden.

Oasis Garden breakfast cold spread/pastries, some items taken up.

Oasis Garden breakfast hot bar, most items taken up at this point.

I have to agree with the lack of English speaking staff at this location. On my current trip, I stayed at the RC Hong Kong, Conrad Osaka, and RC Kyoto so far and they have phenomenal English speaking staff compared to PG. I wouldnt mark them down on this at least if my message gets across to them but Tokyo 2020 is around the corner so maybe they'll staff more English fluent staff.

Last edited by ppatel14; Apr 2, 2019 at 5:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.