Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:53 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I don't see many saying "I will cancel my weekly paying stay totaling $3500+ if you don't give me those lounge access and free breakfast"! Let's be honest. If you are fully paid elite guest and returning to this property, you reach out to the hotel, you have leverage and they may throw in the lounge access for free.
My corporate rate was roughly USD 350 / night and my stay was 5 nights.

That said, I found the lounge to be quite mediocre with uninspired food. I'm not a big drinker so don't need the free booze. The deal breaker for me lies around breakfast. Now, their buffet is great but got monotonous. Giving up 1K points for a 4-5 night stay is worth it. If I had a one night stay? Nah.

If anything, the suggestion that they should consider providing benefits to Titaniums since there are too many Plats may bring some validation to those of us who worked for Lifetime Titanium status.
karenkay and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:56 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
I have deleted and edited several posts to remove violations of FlyerTalk Rule 12.2 Getting Personal.

Let me remind you that it is never ok to make remarks about other posters character. It was disheartening to see many of you 'like' such posts' If you have an issue with a post or a poster, the correct course of action is to use the 'Report Bad Post' under your name.

Arigato Gozaimes!
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy Forum
Vince Chan likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
If you're maximizing points, you probably shouldn't stay at this hotel regardless. I've never paid over 300 USD a night here in my life; staying on points here is generally bad value relative to the paid rate you can get, except maybe during cherry blossom season.
I'm actually staying in Tokyo during cherry blossom season My backup reservation is at the Tokyo Marriott hotel.

Also I see negative reviews coming in on TripAdvisor

Last edited by MasterGeek; Feb 17, 2019 at 9:22 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:08 pm

Booked 4 nights in June with no cancelation. I'm really disappointed by this as the lounge access was one of the major reasons we chose the hotel.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
Booked 4 nights in June with no cancelation. I'm really disappointed by this as the lounge access was one of the major reasons we chose the hotel.
email the hotel and say you booked under the assumption that you will get lounge access. Since that policy has changed since you booked, ask to cancel without charge and book somewhere else or they will say they will make an exception and give you access. You never know. But at the very least they should let you cancel without charge.
karenkay and MasterGeek like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
It's the Bonvoy buffet, despite the fact that the vouchers from Marriott say continental on them.

They do provide the buffet. Please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30787303-post620.html
Thanks so much. I'll update the sticky tomorrow.

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I will never stay here again. I called and they said Marriott forcing this (BS). Another reason why I am.shifting away from Marriott overall
What, exactly, is MAR forcing? Legit question(s). From what has been posted in this thread, LC under SPG never guaranteed lounge access, although some properties (including it sounds like this one) offered it. So one could say, technically, both SPG & MAR are enforcing the T&Cs. However, since this property did offer lounge access, sucks that they no longer are*, & it would have really, really sucked if the breakfast was the sub-par cont'l we thought it was going to be, but we now know the breakfast is still full buffet minus made to order.

* Given there are lots more Plats, Titaniums, Ambassadors, perhaps there should be a consideration to lounge access for T/As moving forward. Something to discuss.

Originally Posted by yeunganson
Under the SPG forum, there was a posting of court documents back in 2010ish, I remember downloading it and reading it regarding SPG's reimbursement schemes. My memory recall correct, in the situation that the hotel is fully booked (and only fully booked), the hotel is paid for the award stay the average room price of the hotel of that night. So if the hotel is indeed full capacity, the hotel is paid a fair amount.Thus the SPG guarantee of "hotel having room, there will be award room too" is expensive to keep for the SPG program.

Now if the hotel is only 90% full, but still have empty rooms... Starwood's SPG only reimburse a pretty low rate.
At MAR, 90% is the magic %. 90-100% is reimbursed at rack rate. 89 & below percent much much less.

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I guess its either

the hotel initiative to cut down the benefit while the program change name
or
Marriott encourage hotel to stick w/ t&c to match their other luxury brands offering

Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
T&C never forbid LC from giving CL access. Rules were/ put in practice that LCs did not have to have CL as a brand standard but gave plats lounge access when available (same w resorts).

Under Marriott more legacy SPG properties are now blocking lounge access to plats. The excuse given me was that Marriott forcing the reduction of benefits, ie standardization.

This has been told me too at LM Phuket about cutting free evening drinks.

But why SGS and PA BKK still offering generous benefits if this across the board standardization drive by Marriott?

My first posts on Flyertalk suggested that benefits were out of control and that programs would cut back.

I see either

1) properties are using integration as a convenient excuse to cut benefits to save money

2) Marriott is forcing standardization among properties as a way of preventing benefit creep from less generous properties and to stave off criticism from Ritz Carlton that they losing guests to the previously more generous LCs.

Either way I don't like what is happening to Marriott. My fears that LC would reduce benefits to match RC have proven to be well founded unlike the optimistic folks who thought RC would follow STR and LC in giving more benefits.

If more plats are flooding PG Tokyo LC, this supports my theory that it was much easier to achieve plat under Marriott than SPG and that many Marriott plats are flooding LCs as they now qualify for requalifcation tiering.

Me? I am Lifetime tit. I chose LCs and STR over Mandarin Oriental, 4 Seasons because of loyalty program. But if I don't get benefits for my loyalty, I will switch out... Which is what I am doing.

I understand people keeping put if they still on rat race to lifetime status.

Next time in Tokyo I ll try Park Hyatt, much as I have shifted upcoming stays in Istanbul and HK to Hyatt.

This also shows Marriott is not trying to roll out more benefits for tits and above, ie tits and above should get lounge access whenever available.

Anyway, I put in a call to Hyatt who has gone out of their way too woo me and my companies. Within 12 hours I had president in my region and head of loyalty reach out to me. Line guy gave me is Hyatt hiring many former SPGers and they understand me.

My companies are switching. I just hope footprint big enough for me personally to requalify for Globalist.

​​

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 18, 2019 at 1:45 am
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SHLTP
T&C never forbid LC from giving CL access. Rules were/ put in practice that LCs did not have to have CL as a brand standard but gave plats lounge access when available (same w resorts).

Under Marriott more legacy SPG properties are now blocking lounge access to plats. The excuse given me was that Marriott forcing the reduction of benefits, ie standardization.

This has been told me too at LM Phuket about cutting free evening drinks.

But why SGS and PA BKK still offering generous benefits if this across the board standardization drive by Marriott?

My first posts on Flyertalk suggested that benefits were out of control and that programs would cut back.

I see either

1) properties are using integration as a convenient excuse to cut benefits to save money

2) Marriott is forcing standardization among properties as a way of preventing benefit creep from less generous properties and to stave off criticism from Ritz Carlton that they losing guests to the previously more generous LCs.

Either way I don't like what is happening to Marriott. My fears that LC would reduce benefits to match RC have proven to be well founded unlike the optimistic folks who thought RC would follow STR and LC in giving more benefits.

If more plats are flooding PG Tokyo LC, this supports my theory that it was much easier to achieve plat under Marriott than SPG and that many Marriott plats are flooding LCs as they now qualify for requalifcation tiering.

Me? I am Lifetime tit. I chose LCs and STR over Mandarin Oriental, 4 Seasons because of loyalty program. But if I don't get benefits for my loyalty, I will switch out... Which is what I am doing.

I understand people keeping put if they still on rat race to lifetime status.

Next time in Tokyo I ll try Park Hyatt, much as I have shifted upcoming stays in Istanbul and HK to Hyatt.

This also shows Marriott is not trying to roll out more benefits for tits and above, ie tits and above should get lounge access whenever available.

Anyway, I put in a call to Hyatt who has gone out of their way too woo me and my companies. Within 12 hours I had president in my region and head of loyalty reach out to me. Line guy gave me is Hyatt hiring many former SPGers and they understand me.

My companies are switching. I just hope footprint big enough for me personally to requalify for Globalist.

​​
I find the PH to be very tired (24 year old hardware), the location doable but isolated and their attitude to service recovery almost non-existent and abysmal. I was a multiple time repeat guest to that PH and a longtime Hyatt Globalist.

I don't know your companies, or if, corporate rates are involved but the RC is pretty comparable rates wise. I've seen them treat their LT elites with nice welcome amenities and personalized cards. All PH ever gave me were strawberries and a generic printed welcome card.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Lots of thought and emotion being vocalized in this thread, so I'll throw my hat into this ring:

I had a fabulous week-long stay at this hotel last August. The hotel was slammed and I got no upgrade, but as a Plat member under SPG I got lounge access and enjoyed it, and taking advantage of the excellent Japanese breakfast at Oasis Garden was a perk in and of itself. Fast forward to now, the pool of Plats and above is much bigger, and we've all been subjected to inconsistencies and different experiences under the transition towards Marriott Bonvoy. I personally have experienced less upgrades across the board and heard endless justifications about benefits reduction in the name of adherence to T&Cs, cost savings and other hokum. The truth of the matter is that many of us were coddled by the generosity of SPG and being treated extremely well by properties that went above and beyond in order to satisfy their elite guests.

Whatever the case with the Prince Gallery scaling back their benefits, my cumulative experience with Marriott since 8/18 has taught me two things: (1) everything changes, and (2) if you want something, pay for it. I scooted by for the longest time hoping for upgrades and benefits that I thought were a sure thing, argued with too many properties over what those benefits were and gotten my feathers ruffled too many times when things change.

The good times were good while they lasted, but it's time to adapt or die.

khabah
dw likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by karenkay

this is my thought as well.

i wrote a gentle note to the hotel asking for clarification and that my email be forwarded to the GM. Email said while I’d hate to cancel, I will if the benefits are no longer part of an elite stay—which I booked when the benefits were still in effect. Will report back.
Lounge unlocked !
I did the same as you (although probably less gently written) and received an email response acquiescing my access to the lounge since I placed the reservation when it was still offered:

Originally Posted by TPG Tokyo reservations
As for the club lounge access benefit for Platinum and Titanium elites member, because our hotel brand is “The Luxury Collection”, Marriott does not offer Club lounge access benefits.
We ask for your kind understanding and cooperation.

However, because this reservation was made January xx, we are happy to offer you free club lounge access for next reservation on April xx to yy
We hope you will have a nice experience at our club lounge during your stay.
They probably also added internal notes about my reservation saying I am an annoying Marriott DIKWIA gaijin and to give me the worst room in the property
MSPeconomist, Dave510 and joakgarp like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
yes, MasterGeek, my email 'unlocked the lounge' for my upcoming stay as well, with virtually identical verbiage. hotels can change benefits at any time, of course, but for people who booked while those benefits were in place, it seems reasonable to offer them to those guests--even if as a one-time exception, and for guests who haven't booked yet to make their plans knowing what is and isn't available.

now that that's settled, i'm hoping we are also able to eat at the japanese breakfast at least once as part of the stay...anyone know if that's still on offer for tits?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
yes, MasterGeek, my email 'unlocked the lounge' for my upcoming stay as well, with virtually identical verbiage. hotels can change benefits at any time, of course, but for people who booked while those benefits were in place, it seems reasonable to offer them to those guests--even if as a one-time exception, and for guests who haven't booked yet to make their plans knowing what is and isn't available.

now that that's settled, i'm hoping we are also able to eat at the japanese breakfast at least once as part of the stay...anyone know if that's still on offer for tits?
My guess would be no.

Somewhat OT, but I can't recall ever being denied lounge access as a SPG Plat any property with a lounge, although I vaguely remember folks here saying that The Nines in Portland (LC) did cut lounge access at some point after my stay there. Is anyone here aware of there Starwood examples (beyond the Sheraton Towers properties that had a separate lounge for Towers guests)?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Isn't that still possible (to have a Japanese breakfast) but with a 10K JPY surcharge ?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:23 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess would be no.

Somewhat OT, but I can't recall ever being denied lounge access as a SPG Plat any property with a lounge, although I vaguely remember folks here saying that The Nines in Portland (LC) did cut lounge access at some point after my stay there. Is anyone here aware of there Starwood examples (beyond the Sheraton Towers properties that had a separate lounge for Towers guests)?
I can't think of any, though there aren't many legacy SPG properties outside the three brands which were named in the T&Cs (Sheraton, Westin, and LeM) that had lounges -- I know of a few Lux Collection properties including PG, Royal Hawaiian, Nines, Grosvenor House, and (technically) SGS, and at least one Tribute property with a lounge, in Singapore, which last I knew gives Plats access. There are a handful of W and St. Regis lounges, AFAIK all in mainland China, which give access.

Of course, there are now many more examples of properties in the family that aren't required to give access, including all R-Cs and all legacy Marriott brands' resort properties (and as far as I know very few of them, if any, go above and beyond by offering access they're not required to give), so in that sense the PG is much less of an outlier. I don't know the portfolio but I wonder if there are also Marriott Autograph Collection properties that have lounges and don't (or do?) give elite access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.