Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Oh good grief, the continual hyperbole/melodrama in this forum around hotel breakfasts just gets exhausting.

Regards
The rate difference between a standard room and a room with breakfast and club lounge access is $257 a night this coming Monday. Quite a jump for people who aren't on expense accounts.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So, reading above, there seems to be a discrepency. One showed a continental menu that was basic (coffee, juice, croissants) supposedly for elites. Another showed a menu that showed Bonvoy buffet (minus cooked to order). Trying to figure out what to update the exec lounge sticky w/?

Cheers.
Kara5930 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Well the lounge area for this property isn't actually that big to be honest. From my recent stay it did happen that there was no table available during breakfast, one time so we left for the Oasis instead.
I was more impressed by the lounge over at Sheraton Yokohama to be honest. Their lounge was fantastic and big. Biggest lounge I've ever visited was Westin Shanghai though. Felt like a restaurant. So I guess, since the Prince Gallery is fairly new property, they didn't think this through from the start when they were designing the lounge area and designed it too small. Instead of spending money on renovation they are instead limiting access and doing what they are entitled to according to Marriott terms. By doing this perhaps loosing some customers on the way but saving a lot of money by keeping their original lounge area as it is.

Still sucks of course.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Lizie
The rate difference between a standard room and a room with breakfast and club lounge access is $257 a night this coming Monday. Quite a jump for people who aren't on expense accounts.
That's more than the typical RC lounge access surcharge.
Happy and Lizie like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Don't get me wrong, not saying I welcome these changes/tweaks, but the combination of the two programs creates a much higher number of Platinum and above elite levels. Yet, at the most popular/aspirational properties, they remain the same physical size and footprint. It's not like they can just make a physical lounge space larger even though there might be twice as many eligible patrons now.

But for the record, since SPGers (and I'm one of them) wants to blame Marriott for everything, even in SPG days, the T&Cs only guaranteed platinum access to lounges for a very small subset of flags (I think it was Sheraton, Le Meridien, and Westin if I remember correctly) anything else was a courtesy and above and beyond. This was often surprising to SPG Platinums as there was just an assumption that the guarantee was chainwide, but it was not.

Regards
I believe Marriot could scale back the lounge access offering to address overcrowding
Say only Titaniums and above get lounge access.
Quite acceptable in my opinion as other programs usually reserve this benefit only for their highest tier members

I understand that old SPGers that get use with 50 nights for lounge will feel shortchanged

Alternatively, Marriott could make 2 tiers or more of Lounge access benefit.
Platinums .. get the current access
Titaniums ... get the current access and added all other brands excluding RC
Ambassador ... get lounge access in all brands including RC
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So, reading above, there seems to be a discrepency. One showed a continental menu that was basic (coffee, juice, croissants) supposedly for elites. Another showed a menu that showed Bonvoy buffet (minus cooked to order). Trying to figure out what to update the exec lounge sticky w/?

Cheers.
It's the Bonvoy buffet, despite the fact that the vouchers from Marriott say continental on them. It was my mistake because the check-in agent literally said "We provide continental breakfast" while reading the voucher but she evidently just misspoke or was unaware that the buffet is provided.

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm guessing the director of sales (and upper management) thinks the hotel will do just fine without Marriott elites eating buffet breakfast or using the lounge. I'm sure their domestic business is brisk enough and it's a pity because this was one of the finer legacy SPG hotels in the country.
They aren't obliged to give them under the new Bonvoy T&Cs. The continental breakfast and points earned are probably enough to satisfy the Marriott management contract.
Originally Posted by Lizie
No it doesn't but then again I can't remember an SPG property ever giving us the equivalent of bread and water for breakfast. That's a prisoner's breakfast from the British Victorian era, not something offered to guests at a luxury hotel.
They do provide the buffet. Please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30787303-post620.html

Last edited by yosithezet; Feb 17, 2019 at 8:04 pm Reason: Removed redacted content
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
100% agreed. They're running a business and not a charity. We can simply give our money to properties that still recognize Bonvoy benefits.
Their business projections must have shown that lost Elite revenues can be covered by ladies afternoon tea sets, lounge denial, etc.
I spend a lot (too much?) time thinking about ways o maximize points accumulated through travel hacking. Don't have time to worry about the hotel's bottom lines.
Kara5930 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I spend a lot (too much?) time thinking about ways o maximize points accumulated through travel hacking. Don't have time to worry about the hotel's bottom lines.
If you're maximizing points, you probably shouldn't stay at this hotel regardless. I've never paid over 300 USD a night here in my life; staying on points here is generally bad value relative to the paid rate you can get, except maybe during cherry blossom season.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:48 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

The fact they changed the policy now is an indicator that elites are less welcome than before. I prefer to stay at places that welcome elites.
Originally Posted by zack14
Since it doesn't want to give elite benefits anymore, why doesn't this hotel just leave the Marriott rewards program?
Or...it's a an indicator that, with the merger of both Marriott and SPG loyalty programs there are simply way, way more Platinum and above elites than can reasonably fit in a physical space. Have you paused for a moment to consider that possibility?

It is utterly perplexing to me why posters in this forum always have to become melodramatic and assume that every business decision is some sort of conspiracy plot...

Regards
The Prince brand of hotel (owned by Seibu Group) is a chain and does have its own frequent staying program. They allowed the Gallery Tokyo to co-join the SPG program likely to attract non-Japanese paying members. The Prince Gallery Tokyo hotel joined in early 2016 to the Starwood program - that's 3 years ago. Marriott bought Starwood in November 2015 and by 2016 there is across SPG-Marriott status matches. So there was supposively a lot of Marriott elites that got SPG status match and could have paid stays at the The Prince Gallery Tokyo. The Prince Gallery Tokyo continued to perform in 2016, 2017 and most of 2018. This means the near 3 years of huge number of elite members wasn't the problem causing the hotel to cut benefit. If it was capacity issue, they would have done so in 2016 and 2017.

The initial partnership with SPG could be considered successful. They got lots of positive press here in Flyertalk and tripadvisor. If you browse this thread between former Flyertalk SPG members and this hotel, you see a mix of paid stays and reward stays. I myself did a award stay but also dined at their restaurant paying full price - so the hotel can honestly say they made money off me.

What caused this drastic change (and not gradual one)? If the problem is small and manageable, then it could have been a gradual change. Only in crisis level do they need to make huge drastic changes. So what happened in 2018 that caused the hotel to make these drastic changes? The most likely reason was was Marriott-SPG program formally merged in August 2018 and for the first time formerly Marriott members can use their points to stay in SPG properties and many of these members choose to redeem at the best of SPG properties without giving those hotels their fair share of wallet spending. Within 6 months, the Prince Gallery Hotel had enough data their experience with many of these members were predatory and ruining the hotel and thus pushed them into crisis management and had to drastically change - no Suite Night Awards, no lounge, just minimum requirement of the program.

I absolutely don't believe if there was a flood of elite members paying retail/market prices as paid stay, there would be a cut in benefits. Let's think it through. If there is a flood of elite members paying $500 a night and their restaurant and lounge is fully packed, and the hotel is always in full capacity. Faced with this embarrassment of riches, the hotel starts to cut benefits that make the partnership with SPG/Marriott a glowing success? Absolutely not! In fact, they would have found ways to mitigate the fully paying members such as partner with the cafes (restaurants) downstairs to accommodate all these $500/night paying guests.

All luxury hotels welcome fully paid guests especially fully paying elite guests (aka returning guests). In the hotel perspective, what they don't want is predatory guests that take from the hotel and not give back. In other words, they don't want members that just use the hotel for reward redemption and would never consider paying retail price to stay at this hotel. Lots of posts in this thread complain that "i will cancel my award stay if no benefit" but I don't see many saying "I will cancel my weekly paying stay totaling $3500+ if you don't give me those lounge access and free breakfast"! Let's be honest. If you are fully paid elite guest and returning to this property, you reach out to the hotel, you have leverage and they may throw in the lounge access for free.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I will never stay here again. I called and they said Marriott forcing this (BS). Another reason why I am.shifting away from Marriott overall
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The Prince brand of hotel (owned by Seibu Group) is a chain and does have its own frequent staying program. They allowed the Gallery Tokyo to co-join the SPG program likely to attract non-Japanese paying members. The Prince Gallery Tokyo hotel joined in early 2016 to the Starwood program - that's 3 years ago. Marriott bought Starwood in November 2015 and by 2016 there is across SPG-Marriott status matches. So there was supposively a lot of Marriott elites that got SPG status match and could have paid stays at the The Prince Gallery Tokyo. The Prince Gallery Tokyo continued to perform in 2016, 2017 and most of 2018. This means the near 3 years of huge number of elite members wasn't the problem causing the hotel to cut benefit. If it was capacity issue, they would have done so in 2016 and 2017.

The initial partnership with SPG could be considered successful. They got lots of positive press here in Flyertalk and tripadvisor. If you browse this thread between former Flyertalk SPG members and this hotel, you see a mix of paid stays and reward stays. I myself did a award stay but also dined at their restaurant paying full price - so the hotel can honestly say they made money off me.

What caused this drastic change (and not gradual one)? If the problem is small and manageable, then it could have been a gradual change. Only in crisis level do they need to make huge drastic changes. So what happened in 2018 that caused the hotel to make these drastic changes? The most likely reason was was Marriott-SPG program formally merged in August 2018 and for the first time formerly Marriott members can use their points to stay in SPG properties and many of these members choose to redeem at the best of SPG properties without giving those hotels their fair share of wallet spending. Within 6 months, the Prince Gallery Hotel had enough data their experience with many of these members were predatory and ruining the hotel and thus pushed them into crisis management and had to drastically change - no Suite Night Awards, no lounge, just minimum requirement of the program.

I absolutely don't believe if there was a flood of elite members paying retail/market prices as paid stay, there would be a cut in benefits. Let's think it through. If there is a flood of elite members paying $500 a night and their restaurant and lounge is fully packed, and the hotel is always in full capacity. Faced with this embarrassment of riches, the hotel starts to cut benefits that make the partnership with SPG/Marriott a glowing success? Absolutely not! In fact, they would have found ways to mitigate the fully paying members such as partner with the cafes (restaurants) downstairs to accommodate all these $500/night paying guests.

All luxury hotels welcome fully paid guests especially fully paying elite guests (aka returning guests). In the hotel perspective, what they don't want is predatory guests that take from the hotel and not give back. In other words, they don't want members that just use the hotel for reward redemption and would never consider paying retail price to stay at this hotel. Lots of posts in this thread complain that "i will cancel my award stay if no benefit" but I don't see many saying "I will cancel my weekly paying stay totaling $3500+ if you don't give me those lounge access and free breakfast"! Let's be honest. If you are fully paid elite guest and returning to this property, you reach out to the hotel, you have leverage and they may throw in the lounge access for free.
Hotels are paid for award stays; the property isn't providing the room for free. I don't know what the new Starriott reimbursement scheme is, but under SPG, the hotel was paid a lot more if the hotel was close to being full, so they didn't lose on making award rooms possible even during high season periods.

My impression is that PG looks like it's full often (as are many other four and five star hotels in central Tokyo), so unless Bonvoy has drastically changed the formula, they're being paid a lot when someone stays on points or a certificate. OTOH if the hotel isn't full, its reminbursement rate more than covers costs, so getting something for an award stay is better than getting nothing for an empty room.

Moreover, if anything the buffet breakfast would cost the hotel more than a lounge breakfast, so the difference would be the cost of the afternoon tea (for the few people who are around the hotel in the middle of the day), all day (nonalcoholic) beverages, and the evening reception. In addition, there are fixed costs of maintaining the lounge, so preventing elite access won't proportionally reduce costs. It must be open and staffed even if there are no lounge guests, food must be provided for the buffet, etc. The difference is just the cost of the additional F&B consumed in the evening by elites in a setup where it should be easy to check that no one brings additional guests without paying the (high) additional fees.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:40 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hotels are paid for award stays; the property isn't providing the room for free. I don't know what the new Starriott reimbursement scheme is, but under SPG, the hotel was paid a lot more if the hotel was close to being full, so they didn't lose on making award rooms possible even during high season periods.

My impression is that PG looks like it's full often (as are many other four and five star hotels in central Tokyo), so unless Bonvoy has drastically changed the formula, they're being paid a lot when someone stays on points or a certificate. OTOH if the hotel isn't full, its reimbursement rate more than covers costs, so getting something for an award stay is better than getting nothing for an empty room.

Moreover, if anything the buffet breakfast would cost the hotel more than a lounge breakfast, so the difference would be the cost of the afternoon tea (for the few people who are around the hotel in the middle of the day), all day (nonalcoholic) beverages, and the evening reception. In addition, there are fixed costs of maintaining the lounge, so preventing elite access won't proportionally reduce costs. It must be open and staffed even if there are no lounge guests, food must be provided for the buffet, etc. The difference is just the cost of the additional F&B consumed in the evening by elites in a setup where it should be easy to check that no one brings additional guests without paying the (high) additional fees.

Under the SPG forum, there was a posting of court documents back in 2010ish, I remember downloading it and reading it regarding SPG's reimbursement schemes. My memory recall correct, in the situation that the hotel is fully booked (and only fully booked), the hotel is paid for the award stay the average room price of the hotel of that night. So if the hotel is indeed full capacity, the hotel is paid a fair amount.Thus the SPG guarantee of "hotel having room, there will be award room too" is expensive to keep for the SPG program.

Now if the hotel is only 90% full, but still have empty rooms... Starwood's SPG only reimburse a pretty low rate.

The technicalities and details is not too much my thing... The overall theme and my point of believe is very strong - hotel doesn't cut benefits if the merged SPG/Marriott program is a smashing success and there is a windfall of riches. They are making so much money they need to cut some elite members down so they stay elsewhere! I don't think so. More likely than not... There are so many predatory elite members consuming more resources than they bring in or the trouble is so not worth the cost of staff stress, wear & tear and reputation damage and so we need to cut down our generosity so these predatory members prey on some other hotel.

Last edited by yeunganson; Feb 17, 2019 at 7:26 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:48 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
WOW, I'm glad I stayed here once, just in time to experience the place before these changes. Unless there's a change of policy, I'll never go back unless work insists that I stay at this particular hotel.
Share the sentiment. I’d stayed her due to proximity to work. I’d never voluntarily stay here again with this change.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson
For Starwood Lurkers, I think a good addition to our Bonvoy program is to take a page out of AMEX's Fine Hotel Programs for luxury properties. Additional enhanced benefits for elite members only available on paid eligible stays.

I'd like to politely disagree with you on this. I would say many people are doing plenty of paid stays for business and personal reasons and when it comes time for a vacation might chose an aspirational property for their points stays as a reward. Why should somebody staying 50 - 75 - 100 nights or more not be rewarded at these stays as they are for all the bread and butter paid stays they have done?

Sure, there will always be people trying to game the system, and they get a lot of exposure here, but I don't believe for a minute that those are the majority of people using the program.

-David
karenkay likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:25 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Or...it's a an indicator that, with the merger of both Marriott and SPG loyalty programs there are simply way, way more Platinum and above elites than can reasonably fit in a physical space. Have you paused for a moment to consider that possibility?

It is utterly perplexing to me why posters in this forum always have to become melodramatic and assume that every business decision is some sort of conspiracy plot...

Regards
If that's the case, they could give Titanium or Ambassador guests access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.