Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm guessing the director of sales (and upper management) thinks the hotel will do just fine without Marriott elites eating buffet breakfast or using the lounge. I'm sure their domestic business is brisk enough and it's a pity because this was one of the finer legacy SPG hotels in the country.
I would imagine these calls are made at the GM or ownership level.

It probably doesn't help that the Japanese in particular likely find some of the more extreme elite DYKWIA rule-maximizing tactics offensive (as noted upthread).

Absolutely a shame, because given Tokyo prices, the ability to book a top tier hotel on points in Tokyo is one of the more significant benefits of a hotel loyalty program. Advantage Hyatt (though note that Andaz Tokyo is also one of the stingiest in the entire Hyatt system).
karenkay and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee

It probably doesn't help that the Japanese in particular likely find some of the more extreme elite DYKWIA rule-maximizing tactics offensive (as noted upthread).

Absolutely a shame, because given Tokyo prices, the ability to book a top tier hotel on points in Tokyo is one of the more significant benefits of a hotel loyalty program. Advantage Hyatt (though note that Andaz Tokyo is also one of the stingiest in the entire Hyatt system).
A tragedy of the commons moment here. Truly.
Kacee and Dave510 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by Kacee

My money is on old fashioned bottom line ... you do the math and realize that you are no longer obliged to give lounge access away for free and that it is more profitable to not give lounge access away then you will stop until i circumstances change ...
I just wonder why Marriott didn't put LCs into the same category with respect to lounge access as under legacy SPG, I mean the properties in question would not protested much since it would have been business as usual ...
I still predict changes to Bonvoy once the economy start to turn against the hospitality industry, at its current state Bonvoy is a function of a US economy running at all cylinders not much need for a loyalty program hotels are fully booked anyway ... it would not do that forever .... and when the Chinese economy slows further and the US stalls companies things will change ...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by X-ON
My money is on old fashioned bottom line ... you do the math and realize that you are no longer obliged to give lounge access away for free and that it is more profitable to not give lounge access away then you will stop until i circumstances change..
100% agreed. They're running a business and not a charity. We can simply give our money to properties that still recognize Bonvoy benefits.
Their business projections must have shown that lost Elite revenues can be covered by ladies afternoon tea sets, lounge denial, etc.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
The loss of complimentary lounge acces will definitely reduce the attractiveness of staying at The Prince Gallery.

The Ritz Carlton Tokyo will become viable alternative in the luxury segment for Marriott
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by Dave510
That's fair. Still do feel like they should've given a warning to new Marriott elite bookings, even if just as a courtesy.
this is my thought as well.

i wrote a gentle note to the hotel asking for clarification and that my email be forwarded to the GM. Email said while I’d hate to cancel, I will if the benefits are no longer part of an elite stay—which I booked when the benefits were still in effect. Will report back.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip>I'm guessing the director of sales (and upper management) thinks the hotel will do just fine without Marriott elites eating buffet breakfast or using the lounge.
And they are probably correct. You know, supply/demand, capitalism and all that...

They aren't obliged to give them under the new Bonvoy T&Cs. The continental breakfast and points earned are probably enough to satisfy the Marriott management contract.
Please keep in mind that the SPG Terms and Conditions never provided lounge access as a benefit for Platinums in Luxury Collection properties. This seems to be a common misconception; that lounge access was guaranteed at all SPG properties. It never was guaranteed at all properties. It was always a subset of the various brands. That fact that many properties went above and beyond did not, in and of itself, make it a right or guarantee.

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Feb 17, 2019 at 8:27 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
And they are probably correct. You know, supply/demand, capitalism and all that...

Please keep in mind that the SPG Terms and Conditions never provided lounge access as a benefit for Platinums in Luxury Collection properties. This seems to be a common misconception; that lounge access was guaranteed at all SPG properties. It never was guaranteed at all properties. It was always a subset of the various brands. That fact that many properties went above and beyond did not, in and of itself, make it a right or guarantee.

Regards
I guess we'll never have it so good again. Bonvoyed.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

Regards
The fact they changed the policy now is an indicator that elites are less welcome than before. I prefer to stay at places that welcome elites.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:02 am

It never was guaranteed at all properties. It was always a subset of the various brands. That fact that many properties went above and beyond did not, in and of itself, make it a right or guarantee.

Regards
No it doesn't but then again I can't remember an SPG property ever giving us the equivalent of bread and water for breakfast. That's a prisoner's breakfast from the British Victorian era, not something offered to guests at a luxury hotel.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
The fact they changed the policy now is an indicator that elites are less welcome than before. I prefer to stay at places that welcome elites.
Or...it's a an indicator that, with the merger of both Marriott and SPG loyalty programs there are simply way, way more Platinum and above elites than can reasonably fit in a physical space. Have you paused for a moment to consider that possibility?

It is utterly perplexing to me why posters in this forum always have to become melodramatic and assume that every business decision is some sort of conspiracy plot...

Regards
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:24 am

I guess we'll never have it so good again. Bonvoyed.
Don't get me wrong, not saying I welcome these changes/tweaks, but the combination of the two programs creates a much higher number of Platinum and above elite levels. Yet, at the most popular/aspirational properties, they remain the same physical size and footprint. It's not like they can just make a physical lounge space larger even though there might be twice as many eligible patrons now.

But for the record, since SPGers (and I'm one of them) wants to blame Marriott for everything, even in SPG days, the T&Cs only guaranteed platinum access to lounges for a very small subset of flags (I think it was Sheraton, Le Meridien, and Westin if I remember correctly) anything else was a courtesy and above and beyond. This was often surprising to SPG Platinums as there was just an assumption that the guarantee was chainwide, but it was not.

Regards
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Lizie
No it doesn't but then again I can't remember an SPG property ever giving us the equivalent of bread and water for breakfast. That's a prisoner's breakfast from the British Victorian era, not something offered to guests at a luxury hotel.
Oh good grief, the continual hyperbole/melodrama in this forum around hotel breakfasts just gets exhausting.

Regards
dw likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:28 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Marriott needs to do better.

My husband and I have really been looking forward to trying this hotel on our next trip to Tokyo in February 2020. Friends we trust have told us wonderful things about it. Since many of the old SPG ways of securing a Suite Upgrade are no longer possible we were hoping to use the same option our son is using for his upcoming trip here in September- a points booking with a cash upgrade to a Suite. Here are the issues we have been running into- first, Marriott’s frustrating shortened booking window (which as of today only allows bookings through 2/7/20) , the disappointing fact that SNAs can no longer be used here, Marriott’s lack of a standard points option for Suite Upgrades, and worse- the message I receive for any test date I try in 2020:
We’re sorry. This property is not taking redemption bookings at time. You can either book a cash reservation or search for another property.

There were a few things I could do- I could wait the few days for the booking window to update to include the dates I need. I could contact my Ambassador to see if she could arrange things (as an Ambassador did for my son)

Or- I could pick up the phone (as I did) and in less than 3 minutes have a Hyatt agent book us into a 1500 SF Governor’s Suite at the Park Hyatt for only 9000 points per night plus the standard room booking. (All points would have been 60000 points per night) This room sells for over $2500 per night so either would be a valid option.

This situation highlights my major issues with Marriott- lack of a simple points option for Suite Upgrades and IT issues that make booking a pain. My Ambassador smoothed things out for me last year, and she probably could have helped here. But Hyatt just made it so much easier.

Happy and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Or...it's a an indicator that, with the merger of both Marriott and SPG loyalty programs there are simply way, way more Platinum and above elites than can reasonably fit in a physical space. Have you paused for a moment to consider that possibility?

It is utterly perplexing to me why posters in this forum always have to become melodramatic and assume that every business decision is some sort of conspiracy plot...

Regards
If it was a matter of space, why not at least afford Ambassadors access? There are substantially less of those than Platinums and Titaniums, and they can't be credit card elites.
Lizie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.