Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
No, we don't have different standards when it comes to hotels. We just have different habits, and neither is wrong or right.

I wouldn't want water anywhere near the nightstand. I put my computer, phone, etc. here and wouldn't put food or water there to protect them.

I would consume food or water at the dining area/table, which is named to eat/drink. I also don't know many people who drink water in their sleep. Much more likely is drinking water during awake hours, which again would happen in the dining area - not in the sleeping area.
Ha, it’s funny you acknowledge that we have different habits, and neither is right or wrong. Not sure why you’re shocked that I pointed this observation out as something noteworthy then. Whether you’ve experienced it or not, having water by the bedside at turndown is the norm at luxury hotels around the world, so that probably says something about which habit is more common (or at least perceived to be more common by luxury hotels around the world). And I happen to know plenty of people who wake up in the middle of the night thirsty, and these people tend to consume water when they wake up, naturally in the sleeping area.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I don’t disagree that this is appropriate. But I also think it’s quite a quibble. If a hotel misses this, I’d either say something or not complain about it at all.

FWIW. putting the water in a bad spot isn’t as bad as not putting out water at all or as not turning down at all. I’ve had Four Seasons and other luxury hotels do the latter two. So luxury hotels don’t akways get it right. Your issue then isn’t nearly as bad as some bigger issues at other more vaunted luxury hotels. I suspect that’s why it seems like your issue is more of a quibble.
I agree 100% that this is not as bad as not putting out water / not performing turndown, and I wrote that this isn’t something I will base my hotel decision on. If I experienced no other issue last week other than this, I will happily return to the PG again. I noted this simply as an observation and included in the context of my broader comment on turndown quality at the hotel.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Fc912
Ha, it’s funny you acknowledge that we have different habits, and neither is right or wrong. Not sure why you’re shocked that I pointed this observation out as something noteworthy then. Whether you’ve experienced it or not, having water by the bedside at turndown is the norm at luxury hotels around the world, so that probably says something about which habit is more common (or at least perceived to be more common by luxury hotels around the world). And I happen to know plenty of people who wake up in the middle of the night thirsty, and these people tend to consume water when they wake up, naturally in the sleeping area.
I was shocked because there is no service standard as to where water is placed, and even as an extremely detail oriented person, it would be the least of my worries. I could see it going either way, which is why there is no service standard.

I've stayed in plenty of 5 star hotels and have never once seen it bedside. Always either next to the TV, with an ice bucket and glasses, or on another dining-ish table in the room.

Anecdotal evidence of people waking up thirsty doesn't mean its the majority of folks, evidenced by hotels not having a particular service standard as to where to place water.

On the other hand, the first room I checked into at The Prince Gallery had finger smudges on the window. Relatively minor detail, but annoying for a 5 star property to miss, where there is a clear service standard of clean, clear glass. I did mention this to them and the next time I went into the room, the window was immaculately clean.

If you really love the water bottles next to your bed and can't be bothered to move it yourself, I'm sure if you told them, they would oblige (and would be a good test of a relevant standard - customizing the stay to the guest's preferences).
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I was shocked because there is no service standard as to where water is placed, and even as an extremely detail oriented person, it would be the least of my worries. I could see it going either way, which is why there is no service standard.

I've stayed in plenty of 5 star hotels and have never once seen it bedside. Always either next to the TV, with an ice bucket and glasses, or on another dining-ish table in the room.

Anecdotal evidence of people waking up thirsty doesn't mean its the majority of folks, evidenced by hotels not having a particular service standard as to where to place water.

On the other hand, the first room I checked into at The Prince Gallery had finger smudges on the window. Relatively minor detail, but annoying for a 5 star property to miss, where there is a clear service standard of clean, clear glass. I did mention this to them and the next time I went into the room, the window was immaculately clean.

If you really love the water bottles next to your bed and can't be bothered to move it yourself, I'm sure if you told them, they would oblige (and would be a good test of a relevant standard - customizing the stay to the guest's preferences).
Until somebody does a survey of where hotels place water at turndown we will probably never reach agreement. My experiences suggest most luxury hotels place water bottles by the bed at turndown, your experiences suggest otherwise. So no point taking this further.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:26 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
That's a lot of discussion about water bottle placement.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:46 pm

do staying guests have to pay to use the pool?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zack14
do staying guests have to pay to use the pool?
it's free for hotel guests when i stayed there in January.
bhrubin and zack14 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:24 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
If your main complaint about a hotel is that the turndown-service water is placed on a table instead of a night stand… then the hotel must be getting everything else 100% unbelievably right and you must have nothing else left to complain about…
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by helvetic
If your main complaint about a hotel is that the turndown-service water is placed on a table instead of a night stand… then the hotel must be getting everything else 100% unbelievably right and you must have nothing else left to complain about…
I think PG would do anything short of standing by, waiting on you to ask them to open it and pour in a glass.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Hello, thanks for the great info in this thread. I recently completed a 3-day stay at the hotel. Overall, great rooms, service, and very friendly staff. It's a great hotel with well designed rooms and nice views.

My main complaint was with the concierge service. I emailed the concierge with restaurant requests a few days before my stay, and got no reply. I then went to the desk in person and gave a specific list of restaurants and times i.e. (restaurant X for lunch on Friday). Based on info from pocket-concierge, I had reason to believe the restaurants were available and I had asked them to make reservations. I also emailed the list.

I got no reply. I went to the concierge desk the next day and found that nobody had acted on my request despite assurance they would work on it immediately. Ok, whatever. They were then able to make a lunch booking, which was great. I had to ask the desk again about the other days requests, and they said "they will look into it." This wasn't a hard task - I literally needed them to make four phone calls and just tell me "yes/no".

I basically had to ask them every day and follow-up at least twice a day to get any bookings done. They were able to book some great restaurants (two 2* and one 1* restaurant). I know I was asking last minute so I would have NO problem if they said there's no space available, but it was very frustrating to have to keep asking. Or they'd suggest a restaurant, then I'd ask them to look into it, and then they'd tell me the restaurant isn't available at that time. If you're going to suggest 1-2 restaurants, why not check if they're available before suggesting it to me??

It was also little things like I booked a restaurant and a karaoke place, and they said they'd send me a letter with directions to the karaoke place, but instead sent a letter with directions to the restaurant. I then had to call again to get directions to the karaoke place (there are multiple, so the specific address mattered). They confirmed the karaoke place but never gave me the address over email.

Overall this was pretty frustrating and not what I expected based on previous reviews. The hotel was excellent otherwise but the bad concierge experience really put a damper on things.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:26 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Hello, thanks for the great info in this thread. I recently completed a 3-day stay at the hotel. Overall, great rooms, service, and very friendly staff. It's a great hotel with well designed rooms and nice views.

My main complaint was with the concierge service. I emailed the concierge with restaurant requests a few days before my stay, and got no reply. I then went to the desk in person and gave a specific list of restaurants and times i.e. (restaurant X for lunch on Friday). Based on info from pocket-concierge, I had reason to believe the restaurants were available and I had asked them to make reservations. I also emailed the list.

I got no reply. I went to the concierge desk the next day and found that nobody had acted on my request despite assurance they would work on it immediately. Ok, whatever. They were then able to make a lunch booking, which was great. I had to ask the desk again about the other days requests, and they said "they will look into it." This wasn't a hard task - I literally needed them to make four phone calls and just tell me "yes/no".

I basically had to ask them every day and follow-up at least twice a day to get any bookings done. They were able to book some great restaurants (two 2* and one 1* restaurant). I know I was asking last minute so I would have NO problem if they said there's no space available, but it was very frustrating to have to keep asking. Or they'd suggest a restaurant, then I'd ask them to look into it, and then they'd tell me the restaurant isn't available at that time. If you're going to suggest 1-2 restaurants, why not check if they're available before suggesting it to me??

It was also little things like I booked a restaurant and a karaoke place, and they said they'd send me a letter with directions to the karaoke place, but instead sent a letter with directions to the restaurant. I then had to call again to get directions to the karaoke place (there are multiple, so the specific address mattered). They confirmed the karaoke place but never gave me the address over email.

Overall this was pretty frustrating and not what I expected based on previous reviews. The hotel was excellent otherwise but the bad concierge experience really put a damper on things.
I’m sorry you had a negative concierge experience here. Ours was exemplary. Three things perhaps worth noting for the future:

—It’s possible few of your emails made it to the appropriate person due to the foolish Marriott change of email servers/domains. Email addresses that had been @luxurycollection.com suddenly are theluxurycollectionhotels.com, with extremely poor and unreliable migration and forwarding between them. Even when staff email each other, it’s been a disaster of lost emails that never are received and therefore not acted upon. Even my Ambassador had issues reaching (getting responses from) hotels via email due to this problem. I’ve had to call numerous times since Aug 18 to follow up to ensure recipients and contacts at many hotels actually received the emails I sent after not getting responses from hotels that otherwise always respond promptly; less than a quarter of those emails were ever received. If I hadn’t called, I would never have known that they didn’t even get the emails.

—It’s advisable to contact hotel concierges before a few days out for high demand cities like Tokyo. For the record, I reached out more than a few months in advance. Fortunately, the PG team still was able to get you even Michelin star options. Certainly, emailing a few days out with the likelihood that the emails weren’t received didn’t do you any favors. If you don’t get a reply in a day, I’d call. If you want better responses, email earlier.

—English is a barrier you may have encountered and not even realized. The typical attitude we experienced with the Japanese is that it’s better to pretend to understand and get it wrong than to admit they don’t understand in the first place. We learned that the hard way in China several years ago, as well, and it was just as prevalent an attitude in Japan for us this past May. We even had this issue at the Aman Tokyo and even a bit at Suiran Kyoto. We didn’t have that issue at the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo. I’m told that isn’t an issue at the Park Hyatt or Ritz Carlton in Tokyo quite as much, either, since they have more established internationally fluent staff.

—It doesn’t help you much to only share the problems you experience after the fact. It really will help you to speak to the head concierge or front office manager (who often oversees concierge) after you have your first letdown or two—at any luxury hotel, in fact. If you let the powers that be know that you are dissatisfied and want better service, it will help them to better serve you. I can’t say for sure it would have helped in this case or not, but it is good advice for any future stays at any good or luxury hotels.

Sorry again. But glad you seemed to have enjoyed a nice stay otherwise.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA

I’m sorry you had a negative concierge experience here. Ours was exemplary. Three things perhaps worth noting for the future:

—It’s possible few of your emails made it to the appropriate person due to the foolish Marriott change of email servers/domains. Email addresses that had been @luxurycollection.com suddenly are theluxurycollectionhotels.com, with extremely poor and unreliable migration and forwarding between them. Even when staff email each other, it’s been a disaster of lost emails that never are received and therefore not acted upon. Even my Ambassador had issues reaching (getting responses from) hotels via email due to this problem. I’ve had to call numerous times since Aug 18 to follow up to ensure recipients and contacts at many hotels actually received the emails I sent after not getting responses from hotels that otherwise always respond promptly; less than a quarter of those emails were ever received. If I hadn’t called, I would never have known that they didn’t even get the emails.

—It’s advisable to contact hotel concierges before a few days out for high demand cities like Tokyo. For the record, I reached out more than a few months in advance. Fortunately, the PG team still was able to get you even Michelin star options. Certainly, emailing a few days out with the likelihood that the emails weren’t received didn’t do you any favors. If you don’t get a reply in a day, I’d call. If you want better responses, email earlier.

—English is a barrier you may have encountered and not even realized. The typical attitude we experienced with the Japanese is that it’s better to pretend to understand and get it wrong than to admit they don’t understand in the first place. We learned that the hard way in China several years ago, as well, and it was just as prevalent an attitude in Japan for us this past May. We even had this issue at the Aman Tokyo and even a bit at Suiran Kyoto. We didn’t have that issue at the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo. I’m told that isn’t an issue at the Park Hyatt or Ritz Carlton in Tokyo quite as much, either, since they have more established internationally fluent staff.

—It doesn’t help you much to only share the problems you experience after the fact. It really will help you to speak to the head concierge or front office manager (who often oversees concierge) after you have your first letdown or two—at any luxury hotel, in fact. If you let the powers that be know that you are dissatisfied and want better service, it will help them to better serve you. I can’t say for sure it would have helped in this case or not, but it is good advice for any future stays at any good or luxury hotels.

Sorry again. But glad you seemed to have enjoyed a nice stay otherwise.
Thanks for sharing.

Have an upcoming stay at the PG in Feb and your tips are very helpful!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
@bhrubin - Thanks for the great feedback. All good points and things I will employ next time. I typically don't engage with concierges at the hotels I stay at, but I feel much better prepared for next time :-)

One thing I'll note as well is that there was no concierge email or hotel email provided by the PG hotel. I had to find it from a SPG Lurker post on FT.

But yes, it's an excellent hotel. I think my 2nd favorite in tokyo after the Ritz, but partly because the Ritz lobby is so fantastic :-)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
@bhrubin - Thanks for the great feedback. All good points and things I will employ next time. I typically don't engage with concierges at the hotels I stay at, but I feel much better prepared for next time :-)

One thing I'll note as well is that there was no concierge email or hotel email provided by the PG hotel. I had to find it from a SPG Lurker post on FT.

But yes, it's an excellent hotel. I think my 2nd favorite in tokyo after the Ritz, but partly because the Ritz lobby is so fantastic :-)
I’m so glad to know that my comments can be helpful.

Marriott eliminated email addresses from the hotel websites that previously had included them. It’s a Marriott corporate policy, and not at all related to the hotels themselves. We hope that Marriott will rethink this stupidity.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

I’m so glad to know that my comments can be helpful.

Marriott eliminated email addresses from the hotel websites that previously had included them. It’s a Marriott corporate policy, and not at all related to the hotels themselves. We hope that Marriott will rethink this stupidity.
Do you know what the new addresses are for this hotel with the domain change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.